joeDowntown

Keeler Building - 56 North Division

Recommended Posts

According to the news article, the deadline for bids on the Keeler Building was September 4th. Has anyone heard anything about potential bids, bidders? 

Joe

$5 sez none of the offers accepted...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


According to the news article, the deadline for bids on the Keeler Building was September 4th. Has anyone heard anything about potential bids, bidders? 

Joe

Jim Harger from the Press told me on Tuesday that he had not heard anything, but was trying to track down the listing agent.  I guess he still has not heard because there has been no story in the paper.

 

Edited by mpchicago
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been fascinated with the Keeler Building since I was a regular at GrandLAN back in 2009 or 2010. From GrandLAN, the center hallway and elevators (kept on the first floor and propped open) are visible through a glass door, and a few times when the store was crowded, the staff let us into the hallway to play Dungeons and Dragons in an adjacent suite that contains an old piano. Once we heard footsteps moving around on the second floor. Creepy.

Here's a photo gallery of the interior from August. Much worse buildings in Detroit have been restored to their original condition: Look inside the Keeler Building

Let's hope that the new owner solves the parking conundrum!

Edited by getemngo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Once we heard footsteps moving around on the second floor. Creepy.

I think Azzar allowed people to do one-off things with the spaces upstairs.  I recall when I DJed there around the beginnings of GrandLan, there was a rock band also playing or practicing elsewhere in the building.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Gorath said:

GrandLAN has announced on their Facebook page that they will be closing December 23.

Well depending on what happens to the Keeler, this could be a sign of something big happening to the building, or just another sad chapter.

This is an unfortunate loss though. I hope someone picks up the concept somewhere else nearby.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as I know, that was the last LAN center left in the city.  I don't know if they're losing their profitability (ULX went out of business a couple years ago after a decent run, but had moved to the suburbs and struggled after the move from what I understand.)  The others never made much news at all and didn't last long.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, GR_Urbanist said:

Well depending on what happens to the Keeler, this could be a sign of something big happening to the building, or just another sad chapter.

This is an unfortunate loss though. I hope someone picks up the concept somewhere else nearby.

Their FB page says that they're closing because the "building is in transition," which goes along with what I've heard recently. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Their FB page says that they're closing because the "building is in transition," which goes along with what I've heard recently. 

Anything you can or are willing to share?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, tSlater said:

As far as I know, that was the last LAN center left in the city.  I don't know if they're losing their profitability (ULX went out of business a couple years ago after a decent run, but had moved to the suburbs and struggled after the move from what I understand.)  The others never made much news at all and didn't last long.

The fact GR still had one is pretty remarkable.  LAN centers nationwide pretty much disappeared a few years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GRDadof3 said:

Yeah, just go down into the comments from the announcement:

https://www.facebook.com/GrandLAN/?fref=ts

FB comment: "Building in transition, city closing the sidewalk indefinitely, and especially slow sales"

I guess I was hoping you could fill in some more details regarding the building transition part.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mielsonwheels said:

FB comment: "Building in transition, city closing the sidewalk indefinitely, and especially slow sales"

I guess I was hoping you could fill in some more details regarding the building transition part.

 

Ahhh, nope. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest

Edit: Under contract with Franklin Partners 

Edited by urbanland
Under Contact, not purchased

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.