Keeler Building - 56 North Division

joeDowntown

3 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

The city made the call but the owner actually paid to demolish the buildings and clear the land. In this case, they've fined and cited the owner (Azzar) but he doesn't care about paying any of it. There's just not enough pain there for him to loosen his death grip on his money. That's why I say do the work and put a lien on the property. That way he can't sell it until the lien is cleared. 

Azzar won't care about some lien.  The fastest way this happens is the city takes him to court (EDIT:  Seems they already have per your prior post) and gets an order requiring him to fix it.  I seem to recall that they are currently locked in a dispute about whether this is his responsibility, or whether the city should foot the bill.  Of course, Azzar would probably tie up an order in appeals for years...  

Edited by x99
  • Like 1

I agree. I honestly don't think Azzar. His past history with the city is horrendous and I can't wait till he is out of the downtown real estate market. So disappointing that this didn't work out. Kind of wonder if Dealing with Azzar had anything to do with Franklin pulling out of the project. They take on big projects, so I can't imagine this project was too mich for them to handle. 

Joe

9 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

I agree. I honestly don't think Azzar. His past history with the city is horrendous and I can't wait till he is out of the downtown real estate market. So disappointing that this didn't work out. Kind of wonder if Dealing with Azzar had anything to do with Franklin pulling out of the project. They take on big projects, so I can't imagine this project was too mich for them to handle. 

Joe

Unless parking options became too difficult and unrealistic?

12 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

Joe

Who is Azzar and what's his story?

3 hours ago, MJLO said:

Unless parking options became too difficult and unrealistic?

Has Franklin said anything to indicate that parking was an issue? If that were a concern, you'd think they'd be proclaiming it from the rooftops to spur the city to act.

Everything I've heard points to Azzar being unreasonable and refusing to grant Franklin more time to do their due diligence. It's possible (perhaps likely) that addressing parking concerns was part of that diligence, but everything points to Azzar as the reason for this deal falling through.

• 5 months later...

Good news and bad news. A group is looking to renovate the Keeler building and turn it into LIHTC apartments now, in 3 phase: 67 apartments, 132 apartments, and a ground-floor day-care center. Going before the city commission. 

I thought the city was trying to push developers to do "mixed" housing, both LIHTC and market-rate? 

3 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Good news and bad news. A group is looking to renovate the Keeler building and turn it into LIHTC apartments now, in 3 phase: 67 apartments, 132 apartments, and a ground-floor day-care center. Going before the city commission. 

I thought the city was trying to push developers to do "mixed" housing, both LIHTC and market-rate? 

That's interesting.  Can't make it with "Class A" office space?  Why not low income housing!   Same situation as 12 Weston!  Maybe if CWD can't fill the renovated Helmer Building they will look into LIHTC? 

33 minutes ago, MJLO said:

I wonder what the parking situation will be.

You don't need to provide parking for low income housing, don't you know that? :rolleyes:

20 Fulton was going to be all LIHTC and pressure was put on them to do a mix, so they did. Why segment low income households and market rate in different parts of the city?  History shows that that always leads to bad results. 

It's in the Fiscal Committee section here. They're seeking other tax breaks, like a property-tax exemption and a PILOT (payment in lieu of taxes) program, and they mention they're in the DDA boundary, probably seeking DDA incentives. 

http://grandrapidscitymi.iqm2.com/Citizens/FileOpen.aspx?Type=1&ID=2558&Inline=True

The project sounds really underwhelming. I hope the city makes them mix it up with some market rate housing. If this has a similar finish as the baker lofts and klingmans building, I'm not too worried. I just hope they're not going super low-end on this project. 

It sure isn't as pretty as what's franklin had planned. :( 

Joe

• Like 1

My cousins children attended a daycare on the north side of Chicago with no outdoor play area, and the elementary school they now attend has a very small playground. Though both schools are academically rigorous, so not the best example. 

Does GRCC still have a playground on Fountain? Or did that get changed with the new building?  

I agree not the best uses for the building. Mixed income, with retail would be my ideal.

One thing I've always wondered. What happened to Kendall/Ferris plans for student housing, etc. they backed out of the county building and you'd think the Keeler building would have been a great fit. Did they just scrap the idea all together of providing housing and expanded activities areas? Can't imagine where they'd go with this idea now. 

Joe