More Accolades for Nashville

Guest 5th & Main Urbanite

Personally, I wouldn't consider it much of a badge of honor to be admired by Joel Kotkin or Wendell Cox (the authors of that article), but that's just me. 

Can you not appreciate anything? At least Nashville received some good recognition. Does everything have to be political on this forum?

Can you not appreciate anything? At least Nashville received some good recognition. Does everything have to be political on this forum?

1.  Politics?  I know nothing of their politics.  I'm just not a fan of either of them because they are known shills for those who profit off of suburban sprawl. 

2.  For the record, compared to most other message boards I post in, this one has relatively little political bickering.  To me it's kind of an oasis of calm, of sorts. 

3.  How does the fact that I'm not giddy over Nashville placing sixth in a random list created by two pro-sprawl money men for a little known website mean that I don't have the ability to appreciate anything?  That's a bit of a leap, isn't it?  I'm sorry if I'm not as excited about it as you were hoping, but there is no reason you should take that personally for goodness sake.

• Like 1

1.  Politics?  I know nothing of their politics.  I'm just not a fan of either of them because they are known shills for those who profit off of suburban sprawl. 

2.  For the record, compared to most other message boards I post in, this one has relatively little political bickering.  To me it's kind of an oasis of calm, of sorts. 

3.  How does the fact that I'm not giddy over Nashville placing sixth in a random list created by two pro-sprawl money men for a little known website mean that I don't have the ability to appreciate anything?  That's a bit of a leap, isn't it?  I'm sorry if I'm not as excited about it as you were hoping, but there is no reason you should take that personally for goodness sake.

My apologies, I thought they were political talking heads or something, but if they are suburban sprawl people, than we agree. Suburban sprawl is one reason we are having so many environmental issues with flooding and erosion. Our city founders knew what they were doing when they founded cities where they did. I don't think except for farms, people were meant to live in "suburbs", but that is another whole other discussion.

My apologies, I thought they were political talking heads or something, but if they are suburban sprawl people, than we agree. Suburban sprawl is one reason we are having so many environmental issues with flooding and erosion. Our city founders knew what they were doing when they founded cities where they did. I don't think except for farms, people were meant to live in "suburbs", but that is another whole other discussion.

No worries my friend, just wanted to clarify.  And yes, I agree completely with you.  Suburbs, of sorts, have existed since Ancient Rome if not before.  But people lived in communities because it just made more sense to be in close proximity to other people who offered various services.  It was only those rich enough to afford to have life's necessities brought to them that lived outside the city, away from the 'commoners'.  Before sixty or seventy years ago, suburbs were still places where mainly the very rich resided.  But after the war and the spread of the automobile, the desire to 'live like a king' has become an aspiration of many, and while there is nothing wrong with that, the vision of what it really is to lead a fulfilling and rich life has gotten a bit skewed, and has resulted in the inward facing, gated, private, suburban sprawl we see today, that is so spread out that people rarely have to have face to face human contact with a stranger if they don't want to.  It really has gotten out of hand like you said, and is detrimental in so many ways.  I just find it hard to have respect for anyone who knowingly (key word) profits off of something they know is damaging.  Anyway, sorry for the rant...I know I'm preaching to the choir and that you were aware of all that.  Wasn't trying to lecture or anything...I just get carried away at times.  haha

• Like 1

No worries my friend, just wanted to clarify.  And yes, I agree completely with you.  Suburbs, of sorts, have existed since Ancient Rome if not before.  But people lived in communities because it just made more sense to be in close proximity to other people who offered various services.  It was only those rich enough to afford to have life's necessities brought to them that lived outside the city, away from the 'commoners'.  Before sixty or seventy years ago, suburbs were still places where mainly the very rich resided.  But after the war and the spread of the automobile, the desire to 'live like a king' has become an aspiration of many, and while there is nothing wrong with that, the vision of what it really is to lead a fulfilling and rich life has gotten a bit skewed, and has resulted in the inward facing, gated, private, suburban sprawl we see today, that is so spread out that people rarely have to have face to face human contact with a stranger if they don't want to.  It really has gotten out of hand like you said, and is detrimental in so many ways.  I just find it hard to have respect for anyone who knowingly (key word) profits off of something they know is damaging.  Anyway, sorry for the rant...I know I'm preaching to the choir and that you were aware of all that.  Wasn't trying to lecture or anything...I just get carried away at times.  haha

I am known to get carried away myself. When they built the neighborhood I used to live in, they removed topsoil and sold it off. They also rerouted streams, and they wondered why it flooded the way it did in 2010.

Edited by 5th & Main Urbanite

they removed topsoil and sold it off.

This is a practice that I've always hated and find to be criminal. The fact that it is allowed astounds me. Also, the fact that home buyers don't seem to care is even more astounding. Then they throw grass seed down and wonder why nothing grows.

Ridiculous.

• Like 1

Personally, I wouldn't consider it much of a badge of honor to be admired by Joel Kotkin or Wendell Cox (the authors of that article), but that's just me. 

If you go to Google and type "Joel Kotkin is" the first suggestion is "Joel Kotkin is an idiot" which pretty much sums him up as far as I'm concerned.  Don't know this Cox guy.

• Like 1

If you go to Google and type "Joel Kotkin is" the first suggestion is "Joel Kotkin is an idiot" which pretty much sums him up as far as I'm concerned.  Don't know this Cox guy.

LOL!  That's hilarious.  And yes, it pretty much tells you all you need to know about him.  Wendell Cox is in the same boat as Kotkin.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Business Insider Magazine's Travel and Leisure section ranked Nashville as #10 in the Strangest Cities list.  No surprise, East Nashville got Nashville on this list for the first time, joining our "peer" cities of NYC, San Fran (Castro), Seattle, Austin, etc.http://www.businessinsider.com/strangest-us-cities-2013-9#no-10-nashville-10

Edited by bwithers1

• 2 weeks later...

Another great review...

Top Ten Urban Green Spaces in NA

1376781716005-Nashville-Centennial-Park.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/destinations/2013/08/18/best-urban-green-spaces-in-north-america/2668089/

After Nashville’s May 2010 flood, green infrastructure has become a top priority, and follows a prior commitment to add 22,000 acres of open green space to the city over the next 25 years. Visit one of its more unique sights – the life-size replica of the Parthenon – at Centennial Park (pictured). Hikers also flock to the scenic 1,200-acre Radnor Lake State Park, home to an ecologically diverse number of wildlife habitats.  Flickr/Denise Mattox
Edited by Guest

yet even more accolades.

I can't link to it because I only have it in print form but there is a particular magazine that talks up Nashville very well in its latest issue.  

"The mercury is rising in Nashville, and it's not just because of the heat-or the cayenne-drenched hot chicken that is the cities culinary specialty."

it goes on to mention several "hot spots" both downtown and at five points.

If you want to read the whole thing it is in a particular publication that likes to hide bunnies on the front cover and comes wrapped in dark plastic.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just announced... Bridgestone Arena will host 12 straight SEC tourneys!!!!   I recall the publicity during tourney last spring, and all the media folks absolutely love the "Bridge" and Nashville.  No doubt, it was a favorite for hosting many more in the next few years. 

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20131014/SPORTS0602/310140047/Nashville-host-12-straight-SEC-basketball-tournaments?odyssey=mod{sodEmoji.|}breaking{sodEmoji.|}text{sodEmoji.|}FRONTPAGE

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Everytime I see a positve list, I see Nashville, Austin, and Raleigh generally neck and neck on them.  Out of the three, Nashville has to be the most urban with Austin a close second.  Raleigh, to me, is a giant spit wad with no real defined core.  A simple look at satellite images show it to be a city of office parks with a nice, compact, downtown.  Yet they are going to put in a Light Rail system there.  One has to wonder how that's going to do in neighborhoods not designed to encourage foot traffic?

Edited by Lexy
  • Like 1