More Accolades for Nashville

Guest 5th & Main Urbanite

Thanks, saw it on TV last night that Nashv'l was chosen for that.  Wonder if they plan on incubatin' 'em in that thing (or grow 'em hydroponically). :wub:

-==-

• Like 1

you know, this is exactly why we dont need rapid transit down that part of broadway. I realize the final version of the Amp was going to turn north before reaching there but at one time wasnt it proposed down to 3rd?

I definitely plan on going to pick up a new girlfriend tomorrow and Wednesday though. :shades:

Or any downtown event for that matter CMA'S, 4th of July, etc, Amp would run right into the path of all of the activity downtown that nashville is known for.

I have a better idea: Close off lower Broadway to all traffic except for mass transit, or maybe all traffic period. The cluster---- of cars attempting to turn onto and off of Broadway with all of the foot-traffic is an absolute nightmare to navigate through. Not to mention a serious safety hazard... I'm honestly amazed more pedestrians are not struck by vehicles down there.

That whole lower Broadway area would make a beautiful Nashville rendition of the Times Square plaza. Plant a few trees and some foliage and it would open up a whole new world of possibility for that area of town.

Treat it like Beale Street and close it off during certain hours.

• Like 1

I agree with your suggestion. It would transform an already incredible streetscape into a true urban experience. I picture Pariser Platz but with lots of beer and drunks and cowboys hats and boots. But lots and lots of activity....

2005-10-26_Brandenburger-Tor.JPG

I have a better idea: Close off lower Broadway to all traffic except for mass transit, or maybe all traffic period. The cluster---- of cars attempting to turn onto and off of Broadway with all of the foot-traffic is an absolute nightmare to navigate through. Not to mention a serious safety hazard... I'm honestly amazed more pedestrians are not struck by vehicles down there.

That whole lower Broadway area would make a beautiful Nashville rendition of the Times Square plaza. Plant a few trees and some foliage and it would open up a whole new world of possibility for that area of town.

Or any downtown event for that matter CMA'S, 4th of July, etc, Amp would run right into the path of all of the activity downtown that nashville is known for.

BUT WHERE WOULD PEOPLE PARK??? ZOMG, THAT WOULD LIKE REMOVE 50 STREET PARKING SPOTS!!!!1

I think the best example we can look at in terms of form/function would actually be 175 miles to our east in Knoxville with Market Square.

I've expressed my ideas/feelings about this topic before (either on here or at one of the forum meets)....I think you obviously keep the N/S roads as is (the numbered Aves), but make Broadway a plaza with 2 limited access lanes traversing it (and tree lined). I would be fine with a public transit/taxi lane in each direction with a modest loading zone for each block (lots of bars -- need places to park beer trucks!).

• Like 1

If I closed off lower broad I would close broad from 5th to the river, turn broadway into a one way eb street at 6th avenue, make 5th south of broad strictly pedestrian down to Demunbreun + make 5th north one way up to commerce. Close 1st and 2nd between church and dem., keep 3rd (change to nb one way when broad is closed) and 4th open as is (but make it one way all the way down to kvb), close commerce between 5th and 2nd.

This would fudge traffic up to no end and if it happened, so much so that every single one of you would regret it, but that would be the best way to do it if it was done.

Edit: I didnt say "fudge". Fudge loses the punch of the what I was trying to say. I know most of you are twice my age but whats so wrong with an f bomb now and then?

Edited by NashvilleTaylor

Treat it like Beale Street and close it off during certain hours.

Please, no!  The last thing DT needs is more changeable streets.  Let's just leave streets open or closed and minimize the complication.  To me, the first rule of good design is, don't make people think.  2nd, don't make people mad.  I'm sick of street  closures that cause buses not to run where they're supposed to or that close off drivers' expected route.

Closing Broad from 5th to the river, put in some appropriate landscaping and hardscaping, with some kind of accommodation for taxis/vans/buses would be fantastic.  Probably hard to get the merchants to agree though.

We're too cheap to do it, but if the cross streets went into short tunnels under Broad the way some in DC go under the roundabouts, that would be ideal.  Probably a lot of pipes and stuff in the way...

• Like 2

actually one big concern would be unloading for bands. 

Agreed. As much as I wish they would just load in from the rear alleys, my guess is that that there are significant reasons why they do not.

As was mentioned above, it seems reasonable to think that there could be made room for loading/unloading areas as well if they made a special thoroughfare for buses, etc.

If I closed off lower broad I would close broad from 5th to the river, turn broadway into a one way eb street at 6th avenue, make 5th south of broad strictly pedestrian down to Demunbreun + make 5th north one way up to commerce. Close 1st and 2nd between church and dem., keep 3rd (change to nb one way when broad is closed) and 4th open as is (but make it one way all the way down to kvb), close commerce between 5th and 2nd.

This would fudge traffic up to no end and if it happened, so much so that every single one of you would regret it, but that would be the best way to do it if it was done.

Edit: I didnt say "fudge". Fudge loses the punch of the what I was trying to say. I know most of you are twice my age but whats so wrong with an f bomb now and then?

Just to push back on this a bit - the long-term traffic implications would likely not be as severe as you predict (fudge or otherwise, ha).  

Closures of lower Broadway such as the one currently in effect for Swimville cause massive traffic mayhem because they are temporary.  Despite best efforts of authorities, many people don't know they're happening, so there is confusion, people don't avoid the area as they should, and the roads that do remain open are not designed for the traffic patterns required of them during the closure period.

If lower Broadway were to be shut down between the river and 5th Ave, a comprehensive re-calibration of all the roads, signals, traffic directions, lane markings, etc., would have to be undertaken for the downtown zone within a few blocks of the affected section of lower Broadway.  By combining this redesigned and improved infrastructure with the collective institutional knowledge that drivers would learn over time (i.e. they know it will never be open, and to change how they approach driving downtown) the traffic effects would likely be drastically less than many would predict.  This is the opposite effect of induced demand, which takes place when additional lanes are added to existing multi-lane highways.  In that case, the additional supply creates additional demand.  In this case, drivers understand that there is less supply, and they reduce trips into the area when they can.  That combined with better surrounding roadway infrastructure to handle the changed patterns can drastically reduce major traffic problems in the medium- and long term.

Also, to echo what others have said, it is likely that some lanes for vehicles like beer delivery trucks, band equipment vans, taxis, other for-hire vehicles, and mass transit and emergency services would have to be either put down the middle of a redesigned Broadway, or incorporated into the medians of the N-S Avenues like on Lincoln Rd. in Miami Beach.   

Why the StartupBus is headed to Nashville instead of SXSW

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/tech/2015/02/19/startupbus-headed-nashville-instead-sxsw/23715539/

I think this says a lot about the growing tech scene in Nashville.

I just opened that article. I think it's written in another language, because I had no idea what it said. Something about how Austin is moving to Nashville. That should add a little density.

news channel 5 did a story last night about the number of bachelorette parties we have.  we are now #2 in the world for them behind vegas.  andy they estimate there will be over 6000 this year. oh and they supposedly spend an average of $1000 so thats a good 6 mill in the city

And they all buy boots, apparently.

DSCN1524_zps54c50a02.jpg

DSCN1519_zpsd3d77e44.jpg

Edited by PHofKS
  • Like 3