More Accolades for Nashville

Guest 5th & Main Urbanite

On April 8, 2016 at 6:57 PM, nashvylle said:

The Preds and their local ownership have been incredible for downtown. 

17K people coming downtown 35 times this year... wow. I am sure the 6 home games that weren't sold out were 16K+.

One of those games was against the Blues was during the snowstorm and the building was almost empty, I don't know if they sold that game out before or not but that could have been one that didn't sell out but definitely would have if not for the snow!

• Like 1

"Nashville Flipped" show is gaining traction on the DIY Network.  All of these programs that feature our city in its exciting phase only add to the allure for more relocations (both residential and corporate):

http://www.tennessean.com/story/life/entertainment/2016/04/11/diy-network-flips-east-nashville-home-rehabber/82650948/

• Like 1

Mexican National Soccer tram to play at Nissan Stadium Oct. 8th.  This should draw another pretty substantial crowd (I'm guessing 30-35,000), and giving further creedence to Nashville as a possible host city should the USA ever get a chance to host some of the World Cup playoffs again.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/2016/05/04/mexican-national-soccer-team/83929912/

In a related story,Nashville is being considered for a professional soccer team, although it is for one of the minor leagues, which doesn't excite me much.  Would have to play in a much smaller capacity "stadium." We've had some lower-level franchises in situations like this before, and they could barely draw in the hundreds, let alone the thousands.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/davidson%20/2016/05/01/nashville-play-pro-soccer-expansion-team/83622346/

• Like 1

7 hours ago, markhollin said:

Mexican National Soccer tram to play at Nissan Stadium Oct. 8th.  This should draw another pretty substantial crowd (I'm guessing 30-35,000), and giving further creedence to Nashville as a possible host city should the USA ever get a chance to host some of the World Cup playoffs again.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/2016/05/04/mexican-national-soccer-team/83929912/

In a related story,Nashville is being considered for a professional soccer team, although it is for one of the minor leagues, which doesn't excite me much.  Would have to play in a much smaller capacity "stadium." We've had some lower-level franchises in situations like this before, and they could barely draw in the hundreds, let alone the thousands.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/davidson%20/2016/05/01/nashville-play-pro-soccer-expansion-team/83622346/

It would be a pretty major leap from where the local team is now though if the city got a franchise in the North American Soccer League.  If this were baseball, we'd basically be talking about jumping from a glorified community league to Triple A.  The NASL is the second tier of five in terms of importance, right below the MLS, and contains only major cities.  The other cities with teams are Edmonton, Ottawa, New York, Raleigh, Indianapolis, Oklahoma City, Fort Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, Minneapolis, Tampa, San Juan PR, and San Francisco.

• Like 2

Chattanooga regularly draws 4,000 plus for 4th tier soccer, and almost sold out Finley Stadium for the NPSL Championship, I think attendance was 17,000 plus. No reason Nashville can't have success with the right leadership and support from the community. 

8512132_G.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Titans10 said:

Chattanooga regularly draws 4,000 plus for 4th tier soccer, and almost sold out Finley Stadium for the NPSL Championship, I think attendance was 17,000 plus. No reason Nashville can't have success with the right leadership and support from the community. 

I hope Nashville can draw in the 4,000-range for that level of soccer, but it might require some aggressive marketing -- the competition in the sports/entertainment market in Nashville is much tougher than in Chattanooga. I recall nights when we've had at least 2-3 significant sporting events on the same night in Nashville, not to mention the competition from concerts, weekend festivals and whatever special events dot the calendar on any given day.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, markhollin said:

Tennessee ranked #4 in nation among all States for doing business according to Chief Executive magazine:

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2016/05/09/chief-executive-magazine-tennessee-a-top-5-state.html

Ever notice how these lists of best places to do business never highlight the places that actually do the most business?  You're always seeing places like Mississippi on them.  California is the worst place to do business, apparently, which makes me wonder why it has the 7th biggest economy on the planet.  I'm not sure this is a great list to be on.

Maybe it should be called "Best Places to be a CEO"; although CEO's seem to have voted with their feet on that one too.  Best places to hire low wage drones?

• Like 1

It really is no mystery how to make the list....

"The evidence suggests that pro-growth policies influence perceptions of competitiveness, particularly in the eyes of business leaders. Earlier this year, Chief Executive asked 513 CEOs to rank states they are familiar with on the friendliness of their tax and regulatory regime, workforce quality and living environment. (This latter category includes not just the cost of living but the education system and the state and local attitudes toward business)."

2016 Best States for Business

Texas and Florida are very tax friendly and generally flip flop for #1....then it comes down to low taxes, costs, regulations...hello TN and the business friendly states.... California is living off past greatness and Silicon Valley success, IMO. 

Most lists of "Best" are rarely any more than self promotion....if you fill out the forms, pay the fee, you can likely get "Best" of something.  Remember in high school the Who's Who in American High Schools?  All you had to do was fill in a form and pay to get the book with your name in it.  Most of these type lists are similar and usually carry weight with what the group or company is focused on.  You see these all over the internet on MSN home page or similar.

Travel and Leisure, again, puts Nashville in its Favorite Cities, at #5.  Congrats to Knoxville which finished at #8, above lots of big players.  

From T&L:  http://www.travelandleisure.com/americas-favorite-places/cities?iid=sr-link2#nashville  Of course, ubiquitous photo of NoBro Downtown from Seigenthaler bridge. 

No. 5 Nashville, TN

Music City was a no-brainer to win gold in the overall music category, and also scored nearly perfect scores for two related categories: concerts and bars. You can combine the two at Acme Feed & Seed, The 5 Spot, or the classics along Lower Broadway, like Robert’s Western World (a pioneer in the city’s longtime high standings for dive bars). Stop by Third Man Records, the studio and store owned by the White Stripes’ Jack White, which hosts a number of in-store performances. Meanwhile, one of readers’ favorite things to eat in Nashville was a sandwich—namely, the Hot Chicken served at spots like Hattie B’s or Prince’s Hot Chicken Shack

• Like 3

Nashville climbing up the ladder.  Forbes has the latest ranking for Job Growth, and Nashville is now 4th...  http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2016/05/19/forbes-ranks-nashville-no-4-job-growth/84604152/    Twenty percent growth in five years!!!  Ahead of Dallas and Austin! 

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 4