More Accolades for Nashville

Guest 5th & Main Urbanite

Per a news release from the Tennessee Department of Labor & Workforce Development on Friday, there are nearly 200,000 job openings statewide. There may even be more. This figure is simply the number of open positions posted on a state job listing website launched in recent years by the Haslam administrations. The state labor department says the total listings in April was a record for the site (Jobs4TN.gov).

Nearly half the openings statewide are in Middle Tennessee (96,503).

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2016/05/reportnashvilles-job-market-bests-austin-charlotte.html

• Like 1

Tennessee improves to a AAA rating by Standard & Poor's service.  This now means the state holds the highest ratings available from all three major credit ratings agencies. Moody's Investors Services and Fitch Ratings have provided the state with their highest ratings since 2010.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/morning_call/2016/05/tennessee-improves-bond-rating-to-triple-triple-a.html

• Like 3

Another new record for direct economic impact from SEC Men's Basketball Tournament a few months ago:

Direct Economic Impact       Spectators       Hotel Room Nights  Per Day Spending

2016:   $19,966,738                           182,198            15,932                      $268.02

2015:   $18,687,306                           192,727            14,174                      $265.85

2013:   $14,838,848                           168,452            12,168                      $254.21

2010:   $18,441,898                           191,852            14,711                      $296.28

2006:   $14,409,684                           183,122            11,282                      $243.55

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2016/06/01/sec-mens-basketball-tournament-brings-20m-nashville/85239346/

• Like 2

Annual Kauffman Report shows Nashville improving from #9 to #5 in nation in start-up growth.   

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2016/06/02/kauffman-report-ranks-nashville-no-5-startup-growth/85052008/

Top 10 Metro areas with the highest growth in entrepreneurship activity:

1. Washington, D.C.

2. Austin, Texas

3. San Jose, Calif.

4. Columbus, Ohio 

5. Nashville

6. Boston

7. San Diego

8. San Francisco

9. San Antonio

10. Dallas

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, markhollin said:

Annual Kauffman Report shows Nashville improving from #9 to #5 in nation in start-up growth.   

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2016/06/02/kauffman-report-ranks-nashville-no-5-startup-growth/85052008/

Top 10 Metro areas with the highest growth in entrepreneurship activity:

1. Washington, D.C.

2. Austin, Texas

3. San Jose, Calif.

4. Columbus, Ohio 

5. Nashville

6. Boston

7. San Diego

8. San Francisco

9. San Antonio

10. Dallas

Wow. We're more than holding our own with some impressive peer cities. Still kinda hard to wrap my head around what Nashville has become....

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've never been to CMA Fest, but the great thing about urban festivals like that is that you can have the entire festival just walking distance away literally right at your doorstep, but you don't have to sleep in a tent among thousands of other people in the mud and use communal showers.  

4 minutes ago, UTgrad09 said:

^^^

Why would you shower at a festival? 

Embrace the funk.

Haha...agreed!  To be honest, I don't mind the camping stuff a bit, but it seems that a format like the CMA Fest has would be preferable to most people.

Having just spent 2 loooooonnnng days (Friday & Saturday) and most of the nights at Bonnaroo - then having spent one Sunday evening with vip air conditioned passes for CMA (Uber in to/fro)...I'll take the toxic dust, massive heat, long walks, standing, long shuttle rides, passive smoke inhalation, nasty porta-lets, dehydration and other assorted inconveniences of Bonnaroo any ol day of the week. But that's just me. ;-)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Flatrock said:

Having just spent 2 loooooonnnng days (Friday & Saturday) and most of the nights at Bonnaroo - then having spent one Sunday evening with vip air conditioned passes for CMA (Uber in to/fro)...I'll take the toxic dust, massive heat, long walks, standing, long shuttle rides, passive smoke inhalation, nasty porta-lets, dehydration and other assorted inconveniences of Bonnaroo any ol day of the week. But that's just me. ;-)

Tend to agree.   I'm also just back from 4 days/nights on the farm.   Saw all or part of 36 incredible shows over the weekend and it was well worth a little dust!    If you stayed away this year because of the lineup, we thank you.        

• Like 3

^ I know most here stay on a more diplomatic side on the subject, but I have to ask.  Memphis at #10?  Are they finally learning how to get out of their own way over there rather than blaming their cities woes on Nashville, or does this confirm what I've always thought of Zillow all along?

Edited by L'burgnative
  • Like 1

State's unemployment rate drop again (for 5th straight month).  Now down to 4.1%.

http://www.nashvillepost.com/business/economic-indicators/employment/article/20782776/state-unemployment-rate-drops-to-41

Marine Corps picks Nashville for it's largest national annual event in September:

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2016/06/16/marine-corps-selects-nashville-to-host-its-largest.html

• Like 3

22 hours ago, memphian said:

Well I can tell you that here in Memphis the real estate market is improving. Homes are selling in the more desirable areas of the metro region. Memphis was somewhat recently named a place that Millennials want to be because it represents a place you can 1. afford and 2. actively participate in whatever social nonsense Millenials are championing on any given day. Also, at some point Nashville's over-pricing is going to force some people to other cities.

This reminds me of a joke I heard:  Pictured below is a millennial automotive anti-theft device.

stick-shift-54b1be11df7b9.jpg

• Like 4