More Accolades for Nashville

Guest 5th & Main Urbanite

Someone on another web site listed Nashville's 2017 estimated 'city' population as 707,132. That seems like a big jump, but I wouldn't be totally surprised. I was estimating 720,000 by 2020, this might push my guess to 740 to 750k.

I do think this may included the entire county with Belle Meade, etc. if there is any validity to the source, whatever it is. Can anyone verify?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Hey_Hey said:

I've heard that her mother lives in Laurelbrooke and that Oprah owns an empty lot next to her. 

We have some other celebrity families in the area too. Doesn't Justin Bieber's mother live in the Governor's Club?

Alan Jackson lives in Laurelbrooke, too. Haha I bet many people would be amazed about who lives within 15 minutes of them. Most of my info is simple hearsay I pick up around town that I don't care enough about to verify. That's probably why celebrities love Nashville: not many locals care enough to bother them. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pdt2f said:

Alan Jackson lives in Laurelbrooke, too. Haha I bet many people would be amazed about who lives within 15 minutes of them. Most of my info is simple hearsay I pick up around town that I don't care enough about to verify. That's probably why celebrities love Nashville: not many locals care enough to bother them. 

That's what bothers me about that show "Nashville."  They're always showing the paparazzi hounding famous singers all over town, like they do in LA.  You can easily tell the show is Hollywood's take on what Nashville must be like.

• Like 3

Wallethub article evaluating/ranking 300 cities' real estate markets. Topical extrapolations: Two Middle Tennessee markets stood out. Nashville came in at #2 best in the country  (behind Seattle) out of 62 'large cities' (and #9 overall out of 300). Murfreesboro came in at #9 out of 140 'small cities'. Knoxville didn't fare so well. They came in at #80 out of 98 'mid-sized cities'. 21 metrics were used and methodologies explained towards the end of the article (gotta scroll way down). Bio's of the researchers seem legit. For the life of me, I couldn't get the URL to paste correctly. Clueless. 

this HTML class. Value is https://wallethub.co

• Like 3

Any thoughts on why Knoxville seems to "struggle"? I would have thought that having the University would pull in lots of good talent and encourage companies to locate there. Then with having the mountains so close by you would have that draw as well. It looks like the last highrise was built 33 years ago

Also, is Chattanooga really bad since it isn't even on the report?

Edited by bigeasy
  • Like 1

Wallethub article evaluating/ranking 300 cities' real estate markets. Topical extrapolations: Two Middle Tennessee markets stood out. Nashville came in at #2 best in the country  (behind Seattle) out of 62 'large cities' (and #9 overall out of 300). Murfreesboro came in at #9 out of 140 'small cities'. Knoxville didn't fare so well. They came in at #80 out of 98 'mid-sized cities'. 21 metrics were used and methodologies explained towards the end of the article (gotta scroll way down). Bio's of the researchers seem legit. For the life of me, I couldn't get the URL to paste correctly (clueless). Hope this works...

https://wallethub.com/edu/best-real-estate-markets/14889/#main-findings

On 8/24/2017 at 1:35 PM, PHofKS said:

Someone on another web site listed Nashville's 2017 estimated 'city' population as 707,132. That seems like a big jump, but I wouldn't be totally surprised. I was estimating 720,000 by 2020, this might push my guess to 740 to 750k.

I do think this may included the entire county with Belle Meade, etc. if there is any validity to the source, whatever it is. Can anyone verify?

I cannot verify. The latest Nashville-Davidson (balance) population estimate from the Census is for 2016. That value = 660,388. Nashville-Davidson (balance) has been growing (on average since 2010) by just under 10k a year. That'd put the 2017 pop right around 670k. 700k seems a bit high.

The 2016 Davidson County estimate is 684k.

Edited by Rockatansky
Grammar.
  • Like 1

After being born and raised in Knoxville and leaving for MTSU in 92 then moving up the street to Nashville until 2012. Knoxville has been always geared around the University of Tennessee. Once I was old enough to leave for college. I left and never looked back as most of my High School friends from that area did. Still to this day if I go visit family. I have to be gone in 48 hours(weekend visit). It's depressing because I remember how it was then and still how it is now. If you have ever noticed. The immediate area around UTK(the strip area) always get the majority of any new construction and will have most of your tower cranes no more than a block from the strip(not passing Ft. Sanders Hospital). If I'm not mistaking. Someone on this board a while back talked about I think maybe there is a Walmart and Publix that was recently built next to campus. So just imagine for anyone that has never lived in Knoxville for a period of time. Imagine all development is around the Vanderbilt, West End, Hillsboro Village, Midtown, etc and never leaving that area. UT is Knoxville's heartbeat.

13 hours ago, jmtunafish said:

I do also think that Knoxville got screwed by the state when the interstates were planned.  I know some people in this forum don't like what the interstates have done to central Nashville.  I think what the interstate did to central Knoxville was even worse.  And don't get me started on the folly of funneling all of Knoxville's traffic onto just one interstate.  Knoxville's largest suburbs (Oak Ridge, Maryville, Clinton) were left high and dry with no access to interstate highways.  Just as railroads brought prosperity to towns they serviced in the 1800s, interstates have done the same to towns in the 20th century.  Knoxville got shafted.

I don't think the Interstate system left Knoxville any worse off than any of the other major cities in Tennessee in terms of isolating CBDs from adjacent neighborhoods. Knoxville has also been the beneficiary of a major project to mitigate some of those effects (in SmartFix 40) whereas the others have not.

You also have to keep in mind the terrain constraints. Knoxville and to a lesser extent Chattanooga have fewer opportunities for locating freeways, especially given that, except for Interstate 75 between the two, the direction of travel doesn't run parallel to the many ridges around the cities.

Knoxville also has had opportunities to improve the system. The Orange Route got canned due to public opposition. James White Parkway, canned. John Sevier Highway is not much of a bypass. Maryville has a spur route of Interstate 40 heading right to it, their residents are fighting tooth and nail against having it extended to Lamar Alexander Parkway and the Great Smoky Mountains. Oak Ridge has the north section of Pellissippi Parkway and SR 58 as links to Interstate 40, Clinton has SR 61 to Interstate 75, I think at least some improvements to those roadways have been shot down.

3 hours ago, Titans101 said:

Someone on this board a while back talked about I think maybe there is a Walmart and Publix that was recently built next to campus. So just imagine for anyone that has never lived in Knoxville for a period of time. Imagine all development is around the Vanderbilt, West End, Hillsboro Village, Midtown, etc and never leaving that area. UT is Knoxville's heartbeat.

It might have been me as I keep up with UT's developments. I don't know if it was a coincidence or not, but I kinda laughed when you mentioned the strip getting most of the development. I am not sure if you have been there lately but the strip has changed TONS over the past year or two. They did a complete overhaul of the roads/landscaping, and also have a few 3-4 story hotels/apartments being built. I actually really enjoy the feel of it, but I bet traffic is a nightmare as it is not longer 4 lanes.

I would love to see a statistic of what % UT has for all new construction in Knoxville area. It has to be huge when you look at how expensive these new buildings are that they having going up. New Student Union ($167M), west campus dining & dorm facility ($234M), 1,000 spot parking garage ($18M), Strong Hall dorms ($114M), etc

• Like 2

Greater Nashville boosted its supply of private-sector jobs by 25 percent from mid-2007 to mid-2017, according to a federal report issued Wednesday. The most recent chapters of that growth play out on our new interactive Jobs Watch map, which shows the biggest job gains and losses throughout the region.

The region's tally of private-sector jobs grew by a net of 172,600 positions over the 10-year span, hitting a total of 862,800 as of July 2017.

Only Austin grew faster, at a 38 percent clip.

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2017/08/30/since-the-great-recession-only-one-city-outpaced.html?s=print

• Like 4