More Accolades for Nashville

Guest 5th & Main Urbanite

• 2 weeks later...

Silicon Valley company to set up local office in Nashville.

http://nashvillepost.com/news/2014/4/22/silicon_valley_company_builders_set_up_local_shop

Hope we see a nice "tech boom" in Nashville.  Will "help us catch up to" place like Austin.  Not too bad lately.  Google Fiber (potential) and a Virgin Hotel announcement recently.  Hope to see some office/commercial space fill up with some tech.

Magazine article dissing Lower Broad as "Disneyland" of Country Music but praising East Nashville as Indie Music Heaven.  http://www.policymic.com/articles/88639/this-small-neighborhood-is-the-best-place-for-indie-musicians-in-america

Kind of funny claim about East Nashville more or less being what Brooklyn wants to be when it grows up.  Sure do see a lot of Brooklyn hipsters transplanted to E Nashv.

Most of us East Nashvillians yawn at all of this or are even annoyed.  Some of us are constantly calling the cops on those darned bands that pile into tiny homes and make tons of noise at all hours of the night. 

But the claim that rents average in the $600s/month raised eyebrows.  Where the hell are rents that low?  In the Dickerson Road flop houses? 

Edited by bwithers1

This is a dagger in the heart, as I've been on the hunt for months now.

yes, that was me all last year, I kept reading all these great things about the job market here but couldnt get  a job myself.  I finally took something that I am way over qualified for just to get back to town.  after working for 5 months now I am looking again, They always say it is easier to find a job if you have one, so I am hoping that is true.

yes, that was me all last year, I kept reading all these great things about the job market here but couldnt get  a job myself.  I finally took something that I am way over qualified for just to get back to town.  after working for 5 months now I am looking again, They always say it is easier to find a job if you have one, so I am hoping that is true.

If you are available, come to the meet Saturday and meet some of us or you may have already. So many folks coming and going and coming and going, I can't remember who has shown up at the meets. But you could at least trade phone numbers with some of the folks there and I have found networking is the best way to land a job.

I look for the job market to get better at least here. One issue that Gethan had a story on, in the Tennessean is that there is a shortage of skilled workers for the construction projects. I heard the same from someone at JE Dunn and William had lunch with someone yesterday, that if I mention the company name you would know who it is, but he echoed the same thing.

There is an article behind the pay wall at the Post that Messer Construction out of Cincy is going to and I quote “We are making the Nashville market a priority for our company..."

We are going to have larger construction companies moving in here to get more work and many will bring their own sub-contractors with them.

Totally understand.  The music industry has really beent hit hard, as well...and I ended up having to take a publishing deal that's almost laughable to get back into the mainstream.  It's humbling...but at least I'm back up to bat and starting to at least feel like I'm doing what I'm supposed to be doing again.

Sometimes, when things happen...we just have to pick up the pieces and do the best we can until something better comes along.

I remember now. There is another Will too. You guys are trying to confuse me. Maybe next time.

Yeah, there are quite a few Will's on here these days (although I've been on since '05, so I'm an O.G.), but I was the one complaining about the job hunt. Maybe I'll come out to a meet soon to network with you guys. I've been wanting to make a meet for years now anyways.

And FYI, my background is construction (PM, QA). You would think that field would be a cakewalk right now, but it's more competitive than ever.

That is surprising!  Love Nashville as I do (and I do love it dearly), it doesn't exactly strike me as being an incredible vacation destination if you aren't someone between the ages of 21-60 that enjoys the whole bar/restaurant/live music scene.  Nonetheless, that's great news.

Edited by BnaBreaker

• 2 weeks later...

Steve Inskeep had a good interview with the Black Keys on NPR this morning.

http://www.npr.org/2014/05/13/310483072/bound-to-sound-different-the-black-keys-on-going-big

I liked this discussion of the local music scene.   

INSKEEP: People in Nashville were excited when they discovered you'd showed up. There were articles written a few years back: "Wow, we're finally getting it! The Black Keys are here." Do you feel like Nashville's changing?

AUERBACH: I mean, people talk about it more now than when we moved here. I think younger bands have more of a shot of being heard because they're from Nashville.

CARNEY: There's the huge country-music scene, which is fascinating, and we just kind of observe it at a distance. But there's a pretty large indie-rock, punk-rock scene in Nashville — larger than Cleveland or Akron or Columbus, for sure. There's a bunch of clubs, there's a bunch of DIY spots, there's a bunch of bands rehearsing in basements and garages; there's a whole scene of that.

• Like 1

Great news for the city

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2014/05/why-you-might-see-another-final-four-in-nashville.html

"Nashville hosted one of the most successful Women’s Final Four measured by attendance, fundraising and community involvement, and the NCAA has taken notice.

“[The NCAA] is incredibly proud and jazzed about what Nashville has accomplished,” said Anucha Brown, vice president of Women's Basketball Championships at the NCAA, speaking today at a press conference in Nashville. “[We are] very much considering Nashville for another Women’s Final Four.”

Great news for the city

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2014/05/why-you-might-see-another-final-four-in-nashville.html

"Nashville hosted one of the most successful Women’s Final Four measured by attendance, fundraising and community involvement, and the NCAA has taken notice.

“[The NCAA] is incredibly proud and jazzed about what Nashville has accomplished,” said Anucha Brown, vice president of Women's Basketball Championships at the NCAA, speaking today at a press conference in Nashville. “[We are] very much considering Nashville for another Women’s Final Four.”

Even though I'm sure some are thinking, "yeah...but it's just women's basketball...big deal"...the good news is that it's another step up the ladder to bigger and better.  Each time we host a successful national event, the bigger guys take notice.  Eventually...we start getting men's NCAA Final 4s...or NHL or NFL drafts...presidential conventions...Grammy awards...etc.