More Accolades for Nashville

Guest 5th & Main Urbanite

On 2/4/2019 at 9:18 AM, bigeasy said:

This is probably just the Nashville/Memphis rivalry talking, but how many people would pick Memphis if you gave them that list of 10 cities and said pick which one you would vacation to?

It depends on the travel budget.  One factor in assembling that list is having a destination for every budget, small to large.

• Like 1

It seems like there would be a market internationally for tourists to see both Nashville and Memphis in the same trip. If you're flying in from overseas to see one, you may as well see the other while you're here, and the two cities are close enough and have enough in common to make this feasible. I'm surprised this is not part of a joint campaign abroad (outside of the state's marketing, which by necessity applies to all of Tennessee, not just Memphis and Nashville).

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mr_Bond said:

Tennessee trivia: Bristol, TN, is closer to Canada than it is to Memphis.

I believe it's actually that Mountain City is closer to Canada than it is to Memphis as the crow flies.....that's the way I've always heard it described.

Edited by tragenvol
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/6/2019 at 1:48 PM, markhollin said:

It's official: Nashville will hold the NASCAR Awards on Thur. Dec. 5th at Music City Center.  Other Champion's Week events will be announced at a later date.  The wards were held in NYC from '81 to '8, and then from '09 to '18 in Las Vegas. 

Official press release here:

https://www.nascar.com/news-media/2019/03/06/2019-monster-energy-series-awards-nashville/

More at Nashville Post here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/sports/sports-business/blog/21049918/nashville-to-host-monster-energy-awards-champions-week-events

Makes perfect sense for this to be in Nashville.  We're kinda in the heart of NASCAR country...but without a race.  Seems like a nice consolation prize for the area....and the fans.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, markhollin said:

Single-family homes sold in February for a median price of $294,486, up from $289,093 a year ago.

I am screwed if I ever decide to sell my townhome and buy a house here. I just don't know how people afford to live here. I guess dual income would help lots.

• Like 2

Dual incomes is the only way I see most of these people getting homes. If you were single and bought a $200k with a good credit score you would need to be making around 70K according to what I could find on the web, so a almost 300K home a person would probably have to make 100k. If that is a dual income, its a lot more doable, but a single person is a hell of a lot harder.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, titanhog said:

Makes perfect sense for this to be in Nashville.  We're kinda in the heart of NASCAR country...but without a race.  Seems like a nice consolation prize for the area....and the fans.

This seems to be another step by NASCAR to get back to its core fan base, which has been and probably always will be in the South. Thus the renewed interest by NASCAR in the fairgrounds track. Gaining high-profile events like this and the NFL draft, the arrival of MLS, and all the huge construction projects, 2019 will have to go down as one of the biggest years for Nashville in a long, long time.

• Like 3

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 6:36 PM, jmtunafish said:

As posted at city-data.com, Nashville's per-capita GDP was the 5th highest-growing in the country between 2015-2017 among all metro areas of 1 million +.
5. Nashville - $5,874
51. Memphis - (-)$1,217

Wow, the contrast between Nashville and Memphis could not be more stark!  Nashville 5th from the top, while Memphis is 2nd from the bottom.  New Orleans was flooded, I get that they are on hard times.  Houston's economy rises and falls with the oil industry, no surprise there.  But what the heck is going on in Memphis?  Apparently not much...

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

Dual incomes is the only way I see most of these people getting homes. If you were single and bought a $200k with a good credit score you would need to be making around 70K according to what I could find on the web, so a almost 300K home a person would probably have to make 100k. If that is a dual income, its a lot more doable, but a single person is a hell of a lot harder.

Hell, single income from me. It's tough as hell but very doable. Moved to a town 25 miles north of Cookeville during June of last year, lived there for only two months. Though I had a lot of money left over, being in Nashville gave me so much more joy. Moved back and will most likely never go back to any small town again. They say there's a price to desirability.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2019 at 9:22 AM, Armacing said:

Wow, the contrast between Nashville and Memphis could not be more stark!  Nashville 5th from the top, while Memphis is 2nd from the bottom.  New Orleans was flooded, I get that they are on hard times.  Houston's economy rises and falls with the oil industry, no surprise there.  But what the heck is going on in Memphis?  Apparently not much...

Great question. Apart from the urban crime, corrupt city government and mutual contempt shared between the City of Memphis and Shelby County, I don't know why Memphis is bleeding so badly. I can only speculate why. Having visited Memphis several times in the past year (my girlfriend's family is from there), I can tell you that a lot of the residents I have spoken with don't enjoy living there, even if they have a good job and are doing well. I will say it: Memphis has an awful problem with race relations. I have never seen a city in America so divided over black versus white. The energy is so bad and it makes you feel like you're in a time capsule from the 1960s South. When I am there, I get an uneasy feeling that a lot of people don't like each other. I never feel like that in Nashville.

Speaking of the 1960s South, a lot of the infrastructure in Memphis is terrible. I notice how bad the roads are every time I visit the city. I don't know if that's TDOT's problem or the city's problem, but it needs to be fixed. Driving in Memphis makes you feel like you have gone back in time.

Memphis is home to 3 Fortune 500 companies and seems to have a steady stream of companies moving there each year. The suburbs are growing quickly, but the city itself is in bad shape, losing hundreds of residents each year. One outstanding socioeconomic issue is that the folks doing well in Memphis aren't actually living there- they head for Germantown, Bartlett, Collierville, etc. Conversely, Nashville is experiencing massive growth in residential units downtown and around the city proper. Nothing like that is happening in Memphis.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, markhollin said:

Tim McGraw will be one of the headline acts of the free downtown concert series around the NFL Draft on April 26th.Gospel singer CeCe Winans will perform theNational Anthem to kick things off on April 25th.  The other 20+ acts will be announced in coming weeks.

More at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2019/03/18/country-star-to-headline-a-free-nashville-concert.html?iana=hpmvp_nsh_news_headline

Please God please do not rain!

• Like 4