More Accolades for Nashville

Guest 5th & Main Urbanite

6 hours ago, nativetenn said:

Speaking of the 1960s South, a lot of the infrastructure in Memphis is terrible. I notice how bad the roads are every time I visit the city. I don't know if that's TDOT's problem or the city's problem, but it needs to be fixed. Driving in Memphis makes you feel like you have gone back in time.

If you're referring to the state roads, it's not quite either: it's probably TDOT Region 4, which at least in my experience is the most dysfunctional of the regions. It doesn't help that it is headquartered in Jackson, either.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, jmtunafish said:

And if I'm reading this correctly, in the last 10 years only Austin has had faster job growth, and in the last 5 years only Orlando has had faster job growth.  Those numbers are just mind boggling.

I’m not knocking Orlando, but what’s the deal with their growth? Is it just weather, cheap housing and no state income tax?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, wreynol4 said:

It’s no disrespect, but I would choose Nashville 10 out of 10 times over Orlando. 

I lived in Orlando for ten years. Still miss the place.

BTW: I used to think snowbirds were silly for citing the weather as the primary driver in their relocation. 

Don’t think they’re silly anymore. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

According to RENTCafe.com:  Nashville ranked #3 of "Emerging Tech Hubs" in the 15 largest metros in USA based on tech growth between 2013 and 2017, with 22.7%  expansion. Nashville has surpassed Salt Lake City, Miami, and San Fran in this latest rating.  Only behind Charlotte, and Madison, WI.

https://www.rentcafe.com/blog/rental-market/real-estate-news/it-hubs/

• Like 3

3 hours ago, wreynol4 said:

It’s no disrespect, but I would choose Nashville 10 out of 10 times over Orlando. 

Agreed completely.  Obviously it's a 'different strokes...' sort of situation, but I can't stand Orlando myself.  To me it has all the many downsides of Florida living with few of the upsides.  I mean, it's cheap and warm... and that's about all I got.  Why would one live in the only place in Florida that is more than an hour's drive from a beach? :dunno:

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, BnaBreaker said:

Agreed completely.  Obviously it's a 'different strokes...' sort of situation, but I can't stand Orlando myself.  To me it has all the many downsides of Florida living with few of the upsides.  I mean, it's cheap and warm... and that's about all I got.  Why would one live in the only place in Florida that is more than an hour's drive from a beach? :dunno:

For starters, because that’s better than an eight hour drive to the beach. 

But that’s just for starters.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Dale said:

For starters, because that’s better than an eight hour drive to the beach. 

But that’s just for starters.

Haha touche'... I guess I just figure if you're moving to Florida you might as well move to somewhere that's near a beach... otherwise you might as well just move to anywhere in the south that is an hour and a half or less to the beach, like Montgomery or Baton Rouge or Macon... but I'm a beach person, so I'm biased I supposed. :)

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, nativetenn said:

Nevermind Orlando, living in Florida in general sounds bad. Yet I'm sure many Floridians would say the same about living in places like Tennessee and Kentucky. The feelings are mutual.

Not a zero-sum game. I like TN and FL. One of the things people say they hate about FL is that it’s too crowded, 22-million and counting. 

Trust me, VAST (habitable) areas are nearly empty. And hundreds of miles of coastline are sparsely populated. It’s a big-ass state.

2 minutes ago, BnaBreaker said:

Haha touche'... I guess I just figure if you're moving to Florida you might as well move to somewhere that's near a beach... otherwise you might as well just move to anywhere in the south that is an hour and a half or less to the beach, like Montgomery or Baton Rouge or Macon... but I'm a beach person, so I'm biased I supposed. :)

No, I gotcha. My wife and I are considering buying a condo on the beach. Thinking about living there a few weeks out of the year, maybe renting it out the rest of the year.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, timmay143 said:

Lived in FL and about 15 minutes from the beach for 2 years and 7 months.  Could count the number of times I went to the beach on 2 hands!

Yeah...for me, unless it's right on the water, being near or far from the beach doesn't really matter.  But...would love to have a place where I could wake up...look out at the ocean...and walk out the back door onto my private beach.  All I've got to do is win the lottery...and this dream is happening! ;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dale said:

No, I gotcha. My wife and I are considering buying a condo on the beach. Thinking about living there a few weeks out of the year, maybe renting it out the rest of the year.

Nice!  Sounds wonderful!  Have you and your wife ever been to Sanibel and Captiva Island?  Now THAT is my preferred Florida flavor!

Just now, BnaBreaker said:

Nice!  Sounds wonderful!  Have you and your wife ever been to Sanibel and Captiva Island?  Now THAT is my preferred Florida flavor!

Marvelous and unspoiled! But probably farther off the beaten path than I’d prefer. In 2016, my wife and I relocated to Cocoa Beach to take care of her mom. Mom passed and we moved back to Charlotte a little over a year ago. My wife is kicking herself a bit for not holding onto that house. 

• Thanks 1

My feelings exactly Pete. I lived in Galveston for a year and also South Padre Island. Not a fan of the beach at all. Did my little trips to Myrtle beach but barely went in the water. Always liked the Mountains better and for goodness sake not Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge. Keep me away from the people.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, smeagolsfree said:

My feelings exactly Pete. I lived in Galveston for a year and also South Padre Island. Not a fan of the beach at all. Did my little trips to Myrtle beach but barely went in the water. Always liked the Mountains better and for goodness sake not Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge. Keep me away from the people.

Sharks at the beach.  Mountain Lions in the mountains.  Just stay in the house. :scared: