More Accolades for Nashville

Guest 5th & Main Urbanite

Another listing. Nashville didn't make the top five overall, but was listed at the top of a few sub categories (Best Girlfriend Getaway?)

http://www.travelandleisure.com/articles/americas-favorite-cities-2014

Haha...Providence is a nice and quite underrated little city in my opinion, but they clearly must have had some city-wide 'get out the vote' campaign here, because they're at or near the top in at least half of those categories. 

• Like 1

What's your issue with Minneapolis?  There is a lot more going on in the Twin Cities area than most US metropolitan areas, including Nashville.  

I don't think it's anything against those cities, but they seem over represented than they maybe should have been.  Likely whichever method they used to formulate the rankings was skewed.  To be fair, Providence is by far the outlier though...... Providence ranked as the highest ranked city overall, #2 for art scene, #5 for theaters, #3 for galleries, #5 for architecture/cool buildings, #5 for attractive, #1 for geeky, #4 for intelligent, #4 for quirky, #3 for cocktail bars, #1 for bakers, #5 for bars, #3 for lunch, #3 for coffee, #1 for diners, #2 for notable restaurants, #2 for hamburgers, #4 for wine, #2 for pizza, sandwiches, food trucks, #2 for gay friendly vacation, and #5 for girlfriend getaway.   

Nashville's seemed to be fairly accurate.  It all centered around live music, concerts, festivals, etc which I think makes perfect sense given the dominant impact that Nashville has on the music industry nationally.  We didn't make the list for theaters, galleries, public transit or architecture which, again, is very accurate because those are our strong points.

Edited by Hey_Hey

• 2 weeks later...

LMAO...High school games had more people than that!

At least Thanksgiving weekend the stadium will be filled....With VOL fans! We are going to Checkerboard the stadium out!

The good thing about being a Vandy fan is that when you get your heart broken every year, you're always close to a good cardiologist.
  • Like 3

What amazes me is MTSU is having their 3rd straight bowl eligible season, but C-USA football does not draw an audience. Vandy had 3 straight bowl seasons including two back to back 9-4 seasons, and still could not sell season tickets. Memphis is getting better, and still can not fill up. UT is 4-5 and still selling tickets. The land grant schools are always going to sell and have more fans.

The only private school that always sells out is Notre Dame because they have an estimated 3.2 million Catholic fans that watch them every week. (Plus they are so much better under Brian Kelly who  has gone 8-5, 8-5, 12-1, 9-4, and 7-1 so far this year.) Stanford sells out too, but 5 years ago they were like Vandy. Could not win very many games.

Vandy and MTSU could go 12-0 every year and still not sell out. MTSU has fared no better being in C-USA than they were in the Sunbelt.

Edited by Urban Architecture

What amazes me is MTSU is having their 3rd straight bowl eligible season, but C-USA football does not draw an audience. Vandy had 3 straight bowl seasons including two back to back 9-4 seasons, and still could not sell season tickets. Memphis is getting better, and still can not fill up. UT is 4-5 and still selling tickets. The land grant schools are always going to sell and have more fans.

The only private school that always sells out is Notre Dame because they have an estimated 3.2 million Catholic fans that watch them every week. (Plus they are so much better under Brian Kelly who  has gone 8-5, 8-5, 12-1, 9-4, and 7-1 so far this year.) Stanford sells out too, but 5 years ago they were like Vandy. Could not win very many games.

Vandy and MTSU could go 12-0 every year and still not sell out. MTSU has fared no better being in C-USA than they were in the Sunbelt.

MTSU needs more fans like this guy:

3bbdfb6ac2272b77f04720bd841c41c6d077ab09

Anyone who's been to a home game recently knows exactly what I mean.

Part of MTSU's problem is that it's a notorious suitcase college. Murfreesboro may have a lot more going on than it did 20 years ago, but it's still relatively dull for a college town (especially one with ~20,000 undergrads). Good sports teams would help, but what it really takes is that college town atmosphere that Murfreesboro strangely lacks. MTSU never really developed the college commercial district that most college towns seem to have. Downtown is nice, but not within walking distance. It seems to me it would me the most logical place for this sort of development would be along Greenland Dr.

I know we're getting off topic, so if anyone would like to discuss it further, perhaps we can add this to the college/university expansion thread or a coffee house style "what type of development would you like to see at Nashville area colleges and universities".

• Like 3

You have to look at long term success. Tennessee is a storied program with a lot of victories under their belt, not to mention a few national titles. That's something that Vandy and MTSU don't have. 

• 2 weeks later...

Business Insider: Nashville one of 15 hot cities for 2015

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2014/11/business-insider-names-nashville-one-of-15-hot.html

From the article:

"The publication calls Nashville the "new center of the auto and health care industries", pointing out that Nashville is home to more than 300 health care companies and supplies more than 30,000 auto industry jobs. The blurb also highlights the city's booming tourism market, the ABC drama "Nashville" and the high rate of college graduates moving to Nashville"