More Accolades for Nashville

Guest 5th & Main Urbanite

2 minutes ago, e-dub said:

It’s crazy how big country music is in the Bay Area. I ran across a lot of people out there that were big time country fans, and many dreamed about making a trip to Nashville. 

Having said that, I don’t think (at least when I lived there) that there was a single country music station on the air. 

• Haha 3

37 minutes ago, markhollin said:

I would have thought higher than that with its lower taxes and such.

1 minute ago, nativetenn said:

I don't have access to the article, but my guess is that education, quality of life and crime were factored in, and TN ranks low in those three categories. Those more than likely keep us out of the top 10.

Although the crime rate is probably not so high if you take away Memphis. 

*runs away*

1 hour ago, bigeasy said:

Fox had some pretty cool shots of downtown last night for Thursday Night Football. Granted the one in the background they showed the most was the generic location...…..

It would be interesting to see the treatment for a Sunday night game as NBC uses more of a collage-type shot for Football Night in America.

fnia_nbc.jpg

Unfortunately the only way the Titans are going to get to play on Sunday night is if it's against the Cowboys and they relocate to New England.

On 12/8/2018 at 11:46 PM, MLBrumby said:

Does anyone remember the 1978 National Geographic piece about Nashville?  I found it in my grandparents bookcase (NG backcopies) about 1985 and was the reason I wanted to look at Vandy in the first place. Wish I had that copy now. 

I remember seeing that one, too.  Found it in my middle school library (Meigs) and then later found it at my grandparent's house.  I seem to recall it had an aerial photo overlooking the west side of James Robertson, looking back toward downtown.  It had something about the number of cranes then, too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Griz83 said:

I remember seeing that one, too.  Found it in my middle school library (Meigs) and then later found it at my grandparent's house.  I seem to recall it had an aerial photo overlooking the west side of James Robertson, looking back toward downtown.  It had something about the number of cranes then, too.

Will never ever forget that photo-TPAC was under construction and the company  my Dad worked for had its bright orange concrete casting forms prominently displayed covering the elevator shaft.

Later on I worked for the Architect who designed TPAC.

Memories.......

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/8/2018 at 11:46 PM, MLBrumby said:

Does anyone remember the 1978 National Geographic piece about Nashville?  I found it in my grandparents bookcase (NG backcopies) about 1985 and was the reason I wanted to look at Vandy in the first place. Wish I had that copy now. 

I'll see if I can find it next time I'm at my dad's. He has every National Geographic since '76 I believe.  I googled it and it's the May 1978 edition. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, nashville_bound said:

What is or was the tower in the middle of the photo that has the red band at the roofline?

I think that is the core of the James K. Polk building (the office tower above TPAC).  The core with elevator shafts, etc. went up first and the floors were added, suspended from the truss structures that remain visible atop the building.

Edited by donNdonelson2
Correction of building name
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3