More Accolades for Nashville

Guest 5th & Main Urbanite

I have a friend who lives in the Magic City and it seems they have quite a bit going on there. 

I used to live in Birmingham. While I love how dynamic Nashville is, there are some things I miss about Bham. It has more going for it than most people assume. And while there is some truth in the NYT article, I think it was unfairly negative to Bham. It’s a great town.
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, L'burgnative said:

^^^Yep and legendary football!  The history at Legion Field, Bryant's Gravy, SEC home office, and Bobby Bowden's childhood home near Woodlawn (don't go trying to find it).  Yeah all football related but it's got that going for it.

B'ham could turn that into their brand.  It would play well in the Southeast which is probably exactly where B'ham should position itself.  It's not going to compete with Atlanta or New Orleans as an international destination but could cater to those who care - football lovers across the country.

25 minutes ago, L'burgnative said:

Satalac; I love your post's. Your funny but not this one... Actually it's still funny!  Even though I gave you a down vote it's still funny.  No harm no foul.

Haha, it's all good. As a lifelong Tennessee fan, I have to take my shots where I can. Not like I can say anything when the 3rd Sat in October rolls around...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, satalac said:

Haha, it's all good. As a lifelong Tennessee fan, I have to take my shots where I can. Not like I can say anything when the 3rd Sat in October rolls around...

Especially not in the last twelve years and no time soon.  Take your shots where and when you can!  I'll say I'm more impressed with the education my kids are receiving here in Madison, Al (my sixth grader is learning German; I didn't start that till the tenth) than my Tn education.  Sorry I'm just saying...  Although I'm sure Williamson County education is leap years ahead of Lawrence County.

Edited by L'burgnative

On 12/27/2018 at 3:16 PM, donNdonelson2 said:

Birmingham has a couple of significant things that Nashville does NOT have:  Saks Fifth Avenue AND Whataburger!

Birmingham had a Macy's at Riverchase years before Nashville got one-Nashville's shopping selection was notoriously bad for years but that is beginning to change. The difference is basically due to the different industries that dominated both communities-Birmingham had more flamboyant industrialists  while Nashville up till now had more staid and less flamboyant Banks, Insurance companies and healthcare professionals.

I see this here in Cincinnati-like Birmingham there is a greater gap between rich and poor than Nashville but we have a Saks up here as well as Tiffany's. Plus I see a lot of Maseratis up here!

However, Nashville did have a Whataburger years ago on Nolensville Rd-I knew a girl who worked there. Beautiful redhead she was.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, donNdonelson2 said:

I believe there was once a Whataburger in the Rivergate area, as well. The building remained for decades, converted for use as a flower shop, if memory serves me well.

We had one on Charlotte Pike near my apartment. Best fries ever.

I did stop in one in Amarillo a couple of years ago for old times sake.

• Like 1