More Accolades for Nashville

Guest 5th & Main Urbanite

Impressive growth numbers. As I look from afar, it seems that an "affordable" housing crisis could develop there. Nashville's appeal in these recent decades has been its affordability. Don't want to jeopardize that. Atlanta has done that fairly well, despite (or maybe because of) its sprawl. 

• Like 1

I think too much has been made of Davidson County's rocky and (allegedly) limited buildable land.  I really expect that you'll see in 5-10 years out specific "nodes" of urban style residential living. I'd expect you'll see it first at Hickory Hollow and Briley/I-40.  I'd expect buildings of b/n 15-20 stories near places where there are already pockets of office space.  You might even see a bit farther out some urban style "note" at the Dickerson/Briley Pkwy/I-65 nexus north of downtown. 

• Like 2

^^^  There's some beautiful land up there and, because of the shape of the valleys (hollers, you might say), there are views while not seeming crowded.  I think there are lots of reasons to build up there and have always (for 25+ years) wondered why there wasn't more activity in that area.  One major problem is the area's access to Brentwood, Franklin, and points east.  However, if the new residents all work downtown, this problem goes away!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, smeagolsfree said:

Here is a list WW sent me. We are in fact a player with thebig boy cities on many levels regardless of what some of you think.

https://www.inc.com/surge-cities/best-places-start-business.html

And that same, lame shot of the skyline taken from across the river.  

The Family Business That Put Nashville Hot Chicken on the Map

An African-American-owned restaurant began making the spicy dish eighty years ago. Now it’s a viral sensation. Who’s getting the big money?

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019/02/04/the-family-business-that-put-nashville-hot-chicken-on-the-map

• Like 3

The article notes the slew of imitators. The national phenomenon known as Nashville hot chicken is still pretty young, but Ms. Jefferies has long resisted opening other locations (until recently). Judging from my previous visits to Prince's I'd guess she's doing all right. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ruraljuror said:

Graceland is like Mecca to a sizable (albeit dwindling) population.  It's the birthplace of soul, has world renowned bbq, and the Mississippi River probably has a tourism draw in its own right.  It's not going to be on everyone's travel list, but there are more than a few good reasons that can draw people to it.  

Yeah, I mean, it has world class barbecue and world class live music.  There is obviously much more to it than that too, but I would think it would be a pretty large majority of people in the world who would be drawn to that combo.  

Davidson County recorded the greatest number of new business filings in Tennessee in the 4th quarter of 2018 with 2,206 — a 9.4 percent increase over the figure of the fourth quarter 2017.  Overall, the state was up 10% in the same span, making it the 4th straight quarter of over 10% growth.  Also 29 consecutive quarters (7+ years) of positive year-over-year growth statewide.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/odds-ends/article/21046139/of-note-6-february-2019

• Like 2