More Accolades for Nashville

Guest 5th & Main Urbanite

Even though I'm sure some are thinking, "yeah...but it's just women's basketball...big deal"...the good news is that it's another step up the ladder to bigger and better.  Each time we host a successful national event, the bigger guys take notice.  Eventually...we start getting men's NCAA Final 4s...or NHL or NFL drafts...presidential conventions...Grammy awards...etc.

I hate to be Debbie Downer, but we're not getting the Men's Final Four, unless we manage to build a roof over LP Field. They just don't hold those in basketball arenas.

Also, we have already hosted an NHL Draft....2003...one of the best ever. We could, however, be getting the All Star game, which would be even better.

The NFL Draft is always in New York...and if they do start rotating it, I'm guessing it could be a while before we made the rotation...

But with all of this said, the Women's Final Four and the Men's/Women's SEC Tourneys are both pretty big coups. I would be more than happy to host the event again.

Nashville HAS hosted the Grammy Awards, but it was a long time ago (March 3, 1973), at the Tennessee Theatre on Church Street.  I believe it was the only time the show was EVER held outside New York or Los Angeles.

One reason Nashville has never hosted it since is because of the weather. Some bigwig from the Grammy organization was in Nashville once when snow started falling and resulted in one of the legendary 'carpocalypses' where no one goes anywhere for five or six hours. He said Nashville would never host the Grammys because of that. But, things have changed since then. We can't guarantee there won't be a snowfall, but we can promise there will  be clear roads in the downtown area with aggressive snow removal and clearing of traffic.

Nashville did host the Grammy announcements last year, so maybe they are warming up to they idea. This city has the infrastructure to put on a great show with world class lodging, eateries and musical entertainment all within walking distance. I doubt the Staples Center in LA has that kind of convenience.

If we can get through the LA/New York/Las Vegas crowd's parochial snobbery and have them see Nashville as an absolutely cool destination and their equal from a music standpoint, then maybe we will get the event.

Edited by PHofKS

Also, LP Field/Titans Stadium is 15 years old. I suspect, in 5 or 10 years, there will be serious discussion regarding a new domed stadium . Nashville is a major destination city and needs one badly. And if we build one, they will come.....Super Bowl, Final Four, Presidential conventions, etc....

• Like 2

Gary Bettman (NHL commish) has already said that Nashvile is high on the list for an all-star game. Hopefully in the next 2-3 seasons.

I do agree that the Titans will be asking for a new stadium in the next decade. I'm not saying that a dome (or retractable) isn't possible, but I still don't know if it's in the cards. For one, they are crazy expensive, and the city WILL be the one that pays for it. And personally, merely from a football purist standpoint, I would hope the new place is a "true" football stadium with an open roof.

Edited by nashvillwill

Gary Bettman (NHL commish) has already said that Nashvile is high on the list for an all-star game. Hopefully in the next 2-3 seasons.

I do agree that the Titans will be asking for a new stadium in the next decade. I'm not saying that a dome (or retractable) isn't possible, but I still don't know if it's in the cards. For one, they are crazy expensive, and the city WILL be the one that pays for it. And personally, merely from a football purist standpoint, I would hope the new place is a "true" football stadium with an open roof.

Given that the NFL just gave Minnesota a superbowl, basically since they know the city is investing in the new stadium, I think Nashville could get a superbowl if we build a domed stadium. The revenue the city gets from a superbowl AND final four I think comes close to matching the cost of the stadium, but if someone can prove me wrong please do. 

Wasn't the last SB held outdoors...?  Are they not doing that anymore?

It was held outdoors because it was a newly built New York media market stadium. 

The next NHL all star game will be in Columbus and I would put money down that we will get it before the end of the decade.  The MCC and hotel additions basically guaranteed that.

• Like 1

The revenue the city gets from a superbowl AND final four I think comes close to matching the cost of the stadium, but if someone can prove me wrong please do. 

It's a big number, but the cost of a new stadium is a much bigger one.

To get some semi apples-to-apples comparisons, I'll go with cities that are more or less on our level (Indianapolis and New Orleans, not, say, Miami and Dallas).

Indianapolis hosted the Super Bowl in 2012, and the estimated economic impact was $278 million.

New Orleans hosted the Men's Final Four in 2012, and the estimated economic impact was $135 million.

Combined, that is an impressive $413 million.

But let's look at the cost of newer dome stadiums around the NFL:

University of Phoenix Stadium (Glendale, 2006) - $455 million ($532 million in 2014 dollars)

Lucas Oil Stadium (Indianapolis, 2008) - $720 million ($789 million in 2014 dollars)

AT&T Stadium (Arlington, 2009) - $1.3 billion ($1.43 billion in 2014 dollars)

Vikings Stadium (Minneapolis, 2016) - $976 million (est)

New Falcons Stadium (Atlanta, 2017) - $1.2 billion (est)

Even some of the new outdoor stadiums (New York, San Francisco) are pushing past the $1 billion mark.

Can we build a stadium for less? Probably so. I think the realistic target at this point (for a dome) would be around what Indianapolis spent. $650-800 million. But that is still a gargantuan expense, especially considering we are coming fresh off of a civic project in that same price range.

I say we hold onto LP as long as we can -- it's not in bad shape by any means, and there hasn't been a radical change in stadium design like there was in the 90s and 00s (luxury boxes)...scoreboard videos have gotten bigger, but we covered that last season. LP Field opened in 1999, at a cost of $290 million ($411 million in 2014 dollars). Since then, construction and materials costs have gone up. The stadium is 15 years old. The TItans may ask for a new stadium in the next decade, but I think we should be looking for at least a decade more before replacement (25 years) if not a little longer. Regular maintenance and upgrades go a long ways to prolonging the life of a stadium. Let's stay on top of that and push the big expense of building new as long as we can. We don't *have* to be like the other teams.

And who knows...if the NFL keeps experimenting with cold weather outdoor Super Bowls (if NYC wasn't a one hit wonder), then perhaps we even have a shot with our current stadium. It may be a longer shot, but IMO it beats scrapping the old stadium too soon. We're proving to be a popular host city. That goes farther than a shiny new stadium IMO.

Who the hell wants to visit Minneapolis in February?!?

• Like 2

The next NHL all star game will be in Columbus and I would put money down that we will get it before the end of the decade. The MCC and hotel additions basically guaranteed that.

Like you said, it will be in Columbus. It was actually supposed to be in 2013, but the half season lockout put the brakes on that. Then this season were the Olympics. Word on the street was, back in 2012 when Columbus was granted the game, that Nashville was next on the list. Things could have changed since then, but I can't see why. The success of the MCC and the potential for even more hotel room coming online by spring 2016 just makes a stronger case for us. I hope to see it happen. I miss my season tickets and I need a good excuse (guaranteed seats to the all star game for STH) to get them again.

I hate to be Debbie Downer, but we're not getting the Men's Final Four, unless we manage to build a roof over LP Field. They just don't hold those in basketball arenas.

Also, we have already hosted an NHL Draft....2003...one of the best ever. We could, however, be getting the All Star game, which would be even better.

The NFL Draft is always in New York...and if they do start rotating it, I'm guessing it could be a while before we made the rotation...

But with all of this said, the Women's Final Four and the Men's/Women's SEC Tourneys are both pretty big coups. I would be more than happy to host the event again.

Yeah...I didn't think about that on the Final 4.  You are most definitely correct.

As for the NHL draft...I actually meant to say All Star game.

Also...on the Grammys...I realize we hosted one in the 70's...but haven't been given a chance since then.  I believe we'll eventually get the awards show again someday...unless they decide to make LA the permanent host.

Edited by titanhog

Nashville:  Top Barbecue city?!  http://www.tennessean.com/story/life/food/2014/05/21/nashville-named-americas-best-city-barbecue/9373585/

I was having a conversation with somebody recently about how Nashville doesn't its own distinct barbecue style, and it would appear that this "greatest hits" approach is our strength (according to Travel and Leisure).

T&L list:  http://www.travelandleisure.com/articles/americas-best-cities-for-barbecue-2014/2

Edited by Bezoar

Nashville:  Top Barbecue city?!  http://www.tennessean.com/story/life/food/2014/05/21/nashville-named-americas-best-city-barbecue/9373585/

I was having a conversation with somebody recently about how Nashville doesn't its own distinct barbecue style, and it would appear that this "greatest hits" approach is our strength (according to Travel and Leisure).

T&L list:  http://www.travelandleisure.com/articles/americas-best-cities-for-barbecue-2014/2

Was just about to post this. I believe Tennessee is about to have a not so civil war because of this article....

I have always preferred Memphis style dry rub. I don't know if it's because my dad's from Jackson, TN so I was raised on it, but your bbq should be juicy from the fat, not some sauce. I am surprised that Nashville topped Memphis, but the poll was taken by readers, and since Nashville has been gaining a lot of popularity lately, this may have swayed the vote. Middle TN has definitely stepped their BBQ game up, but better than Memphis? I find it hard to believe. We'll kick ass in Hot Chicken and Meat N' Threes though....

• Like 1

I think it was more based on the fact that you can get every style of BBQ here in Nashville.  Even used to be able to get authentic Texas brisket here...though I'm not sure if that joint is still open.

Memphis has their style...which is world-renowned...which you can get here in Nashville (in less variety)...but also a taste of all the others, as well.

Minneapolis is a really, really nice city.  It has tons of downtown retail, great neighborhoods, and a very useful LRT system.  I truly love Nashville, but it will be decades upon decades before Nashville is at the level Minneapolis is currently, so we probably shouldn't puff our chests up too much. haha ;)

Edited by BnaBreaker

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nashville one of nation's top 'industrial boomtowns,' Forbes says

http://www.forbes.com/pictures/edgl45ghdi/no-2-nashville-davidson-murfreesboro-franklin-tn-2/

This is the picture they had for Nashville.

After all of the " Forbe's Best" list Nashville has made, they dont know what our city looks like???!!

Im thinking this is Pittsburg or Cleveland maybe??......

0x600.jpg?fit=scale&background=000000

• Like 1