More Accolades for Nashville

Guest 5th & Main Urbanite

14 hours ago, wreynol4 said:

It’s no disrespect, but I would choose Nashville 10 out of 10 times over Orlando. 

The City Beautiful has much going for it.  I had two meetings there today and will be working Music City in the morning.

Edited by Mr_Bond

6 hours ago, titanhog said:

Sharks at the beach.  Mountain Lions in the mountains.  Just stay in the house. :scared:

Mountain lions have been sighted in Brentwood, Long Hunter State Park, and many other locations around Middle Tennessee.  Cougar sightings have been a hobby of mine for many years.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

Sharks are misunderstood and mostly harmless :)

The alligators and mosquito swarms and old folks driving their 92 Buick LeSabres at 45 mph on the expressway you'll find inland however... :lol:

As if that isn’t bad enough, South Florida has crocodiles and pythons as well.

9 hours ago, Mr_Bond said:

The City Beautiful has much going for it.  I had two meetings there today and will be working Music City in the morning.

Orlando CBD has brick streets, encircling an 11 acre lake and ringed by historic neighborhoods. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Armacing said:

Ah!  I stand corrected.  Thank goodness my wager was only rhetorical and not monetary!

I wonder if the GDP calculation takes into account the production of workers who live outside the county. On a per-capita basis this would inflate the numbers, which would explain why Davidson and Williamson (which have the highest numbers of out-of-county workers) are so high relative to the rest.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, PruneTracy said:

I wonder if the GDP calculation takes into account the production of workers who live outside the county.

Almost certainly. To the best of my knowledge GDP measurements are based on where the economic activity is located (business location) and not based where the workers live.

1 hour ago, Rockatansky said:

Almost certainly. To the best of my knowledge GDP measurements are based on where the economic activity is located (business location) and not based where the workers live.

Good point.  So while a bunch of wealth might be generated in Davidson county, a big chunk of that wealth could go into the bank accounts of folks who actually live in Williamson county.   My basic point is this:  You can't have a thriving economy without rich people, and rich people it seems, always need a rich enclave to hide out in.  Williamson serves this purpose in the Nashville Metro, so it's easy to attract corporate headquarters here.  Therefore, I propose that southeastern quarter of Shelby County should be carved out as a new county entirely.  This would create a high-income enclave for rich folks that has all the right demographics to attract companies and residents.  Consequently, the entire Memphis metro would benefit from the economic growth in that new county.  Now all we need is a name for it...

Edited by Armacing

1 hour ago, Armacing said:

Therefore, I propose that southeastern quarter of Shelby County should be carved out as a new county entirely.  This would create a high-income enclave for rich folks that has all the right demographics to attract companies and residents.  Consequently, the entire Memphis metro would benefit from the economic growth in that new county.  Now all we need is a name for it...

I could've sworn there was a movement years ago to do just that.  I think the name they proposed was Nonconnah.  But it was, if I recall correctly, all of eastern Shelby County and not just the southeastern corner, and it was to keep that part of Shelby County from being annexed by the city of Memphis.  But my memory could be totally off.

This is sort of tangentially related but I got bashed today on the memphis subreddit XD. I actually was saying something nice about memphis and saying that it had a ton of untapped potential as a city, but because I was from Nashville everyone thought I was slighting them. Oh well lol

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, memphian said:

Neshoba was the name of the county they were trying to create. I remember it well,  though I may not have spelled it correctly.

That's it!  I knew it started with an N.  I wonder if there are any other counties in the state where the residents in the "rural" areas have such disdain for the main city the way Shelby Countians do for Memphis.

Well it’s not so much the rural areas as much as it is the spendy suburban towns. Both, actually. The good news is a lot of people in those areas are smart enough to know that the health of their own town is directly dependent on the health of Memphis. Maybe less so across the MS state line but that flight/migration and mentality was/is shortsighted.  We’re talking cotton fields turned into suburban sprawl which offer little to fall back on if Memphis should fail. I don’t think it will fail; Memphis is a city of second chances. 

There’s a lot of divide for sure but there’s also a lot of Memphis pride.  Such an interesting place.

• Like 1