More Accolades for Nashville

Guest 5th & Main Urbanite

On 3/29/2019 at 10:39 PM, Binbin98 said:

This is sort of tangentially related but I got bashed today on the memphis subreddit XD. I actually was saying something nice about memphis and saying that it had a ton of untapped potential as a city, but because I was from Nashville everyone thought I was slighting them. Oh well lol

That's Memphis for you.

On 3/29/2019 at 11:22 AM, Armacing said:

Good point.  So while a bunch of wealth might be generated in Davidson county, a big chunk of that wealth could go into the bank accounts of folks who actually live in Williamson county.   My basic point is this:  You can't have a thriving economy without rich people, and rich people it seems, always need a rich enclave to hide out in.  Williamson serves this purpose in the Nashville Metro, so it's easy to attract corporate headquarters here.  Therefore, I propose that southeastern quarter of Shelby County should be carved out as a new county entirely.  This would create a high-income enclave for rich folks that has all the right demographics to attract companies and residents.  Consequently, the entire Memphis metro would benefit from the economic growth in that new county.  Now all we need is a name for it...

Tickville?  Unless there's a more opportunistic parasite that comes to mind.

• Thanks 1

On 4/3/2019 at 11:39 AM, markhollin said:

Screen Shot 2019-04-03 at 11.38.08 AM.png

Businesses are having a hard time finding enough workers...especially restaurants.  I know of one restaurant that closed because they couldn’t keep enough workers hired...and I ordered a pizza the other day from another restaurant and the delivery person stood at my door giving me a spiel about the restaurant desperately needing delivery and in-store workers starting at $11/ hour.

Crazy how hot the market is.

Edited by titanhog
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Rockatansky said:

If a business is having a hard time attracting workers, they need to increase pay/benefits.

It's easy to say, but that translates into higher prices for customers. You also have a tough time to increase the pay enough for these folks to afford housing that's near their workplaces. Then, where can they affordably park? Is public transportation even an option? You can't scooter in from Antioch.

• Like 3

On 4/5/2019 at 7:45 AM, titanhog said:

Businesses are having a hard time finding enough workers...especially restaurants. 

For this reason, as a former coffee shop / restaurant owner, I am grateful to be out of that business, especially today in Nashville.

• Like 4

On 4/5/2019 at 7:19 AM, markhollin said:

Some excerpts from NBJ interview with Jim Gingrich, CEO of Alliance Bernstein, on their move to Nashville:

- One of the things that intrigued us, as well as scared us, about Nashville was that we would be the first asset manager in the city, at least of our size and scale. My hope would be that our decision — and the fact that we’re putting our headquarters here, bringing a set of skills into the market, and are going to be very focused on what we can do to develop and grow the talent base that exists here — will create interest on the part of other firms that want to come here and be part of this as well. Every company is very focused on getting the right talent, and I think that if others were to come here, it would grow the overall talent pool, and we’ll all benefit from that.

I'm a Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) and have been a member of the Nashville Society of CFAs for over 20 years now.  The CFA is the premier, global designation for investment decision makers and Alliance Bernstein has many on staff.  To use Mr. Gingrich's words, we like to analyze the heck out of everything.

Over the past 10 years, I've seen a sizeable increase in the number of CFAs in Nashville (3x more than in '97) and in the diversity of industries represented by our membership.  If I were AB, I would have examined the number of CFAs in the local society and their industries/job descriptions.  AB's CFAs moving to Nashville will find a vibrant local society offering a wide variety of speakers and opportunities for connecting with other charter holders.

As an active, diverse local CFA chapter, we take steps to encourage college and graduate students to consider becoming a CFA, further increasing the talent pool for firms like AB.  Such outreach is needed as the CFA is considered by many to be the most difficult professional exam.  The pass rate on each of the three exams is under 50%.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chartered_Financial_Analyst

• Like 3

1 hour ago, grilled_cheese said:

Yeah but that's not the part of free market economy that they like.

A lot of people who claim to be lovers of the free market don't really know what a free market is or how it works.  All they really like is *money* and they think that makes them a capitalist.  Those same people who espouse the virtues of free markets often defend the need for limited liability for corporations and the need for patents and copyrights because they want the government to help them get a leg-up on the competition.  So they really fear the free market.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, markhollin said:

Nashville's Peg Leg Porker is chosen as the #1 BBQ joint in Tennessee by Southern Living Magazine:

https://www.southernliving.com/souths-best/bbq-southern-states?slide=585275#585275

While this may be true to certain people it does NOT mean that Nashville has better BBQ than Memphis lmao. I saw news articles from the Tennessean which were saying this that made me laugh. Let Memphis have barbeque and Graceland and Nashville have hot chicken and explosive growth lol

Edited by Binbin98
  • Like 1