More Accolades for Nashville

Guest 5th & Main Urbanite

On 4/29/2019 at 3:33 PM, donNdonelson2 said:

I suppose that with the lack of an event on Memorial Day we can go to the National Cemeteries and pay our respects...the thing that MEMORIAL Day was intended to promote.

Sure, if americans got more than 2.8 guaranteed holidays they would be down for that but our "capitalism" calls for max productivity so expect them to party on the one or two non family holidays they get.   boomer'd

• Like 2

Nashville-area home sales rose by 1.8% in April, according to new data from the Greater Nashville Realtors.

The month featured 3,479 closings, a record for the month of April.

More at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2019/05/08/nashville-home-sales-tick-up-in-april-set-record.html?iana=hpmvp_nsh_news_headline

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, markhollin said:

Criterion.com has created an excellent  10 minute documentary on the Belcourt Theater:

More here:

https://www.criterion.com/current/posts/6335-a-cinematic-hub-at-the-heart-of-music-city

Thank you for sharing this.  What a phenomenal institution Belcourt has become.  I am so happy it was saved from the wrecking balls in the nineties, and I hope it continues to be a centerpiece for the community for decades to come.

• Like 2

Spencer Levy, senior economic adviser and chairman of Americas research at global real estate brokerage CBRE, is very bullish on Nashville.  CBRE's investors view the region as very hot. . "It's No. 8 in terms of the most popular market among our investors, which is just a stunning move for a city that really wasn't on anyone's radar screen six, seven, eight years ago," Levy said. "Airplanes (and airlines) are the most important piece of infrastructure for foreign money. That's why Nashville is not only doing well today, but in the future too," Levy said.

More behind the NBJ paywall here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2019/05/09/after-talk-to-record-setter-expert-marvels-at.html

• Like 4

9 hours ago, markhollin said:

Nashville comes in #2 on SmartAsset's "Top 10 Cities for College Graduates" list.

https://smartasset.com/checking-account/the-best-cities-for-new-college-grads-in-2019

Screen Shot 2019-05-20 at 7.43.48 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-20 at 7.44.07 AM.png

Not sure what criteria other cities were judged on, but Nashville seems to rank high for college grads because "it's fun."     Article:  it's not affordable for you, but it's fun!         

15 hours ago, The ATX said:

We let San Antonio take one now and then.  It keeps them from beotchin' about all the development happening in Austin. 

Seriously though, what's the deal with San Antonio?  I see the numbers.  I know it has been growing at a fast rate for several decades now, and rightly so because it's a great town.  And yet, downtown SA still looks exactly as it did last time I visited in like 1993.  Do they just not value urban development down there or something?   I don't get it at all.

6 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

Seriously though, what's the deal with San Antonio?  I see the numbers.  I know it has been growing at a fast rate for several decades now, and rightly so because it's a great town.  And yet, downtown SA still looks exactly as it did last time I visited in like 1993.  Do they just not value urban development down there or something?   I don't get it at all.

Maybe when you have The Alamo, that's all you need.  "Remember The Alamo."

53 minutes ago, Armacing said:

Maybe when you have The Alamo, that's all you need.  "Remember The Alamo."

You underestimate the draw of San Antonio’s spectacular Riverwalk. I love that city! Great food. Nice people. A variety of attractions for families in and around the city itself. Amusement parks...they have two. History everywhere-i especially appreciate all the old Missions. The charm of the nearby Hill Country. I wouldn’t care if they never added another tall boy downtown, I will go there every chance I get!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, donNdonelson2 said:

You underestimate the draw of San Antonio’s spectacular Riverwalk. I love that city! Great food. Nice people. A variety of attractions for families in and around the city itself. Amusement parks...they have two. History everywhere-i especially appreciate all the old Missions. The charm of the nearby Hill Country. I wouldn’t care if they never added another tall boy downtown, I will go there every chance I get!

I agree completely and so do all the people who move there every year, which is why it's so confusing to me that there is seemingly so little urban development there... it is a city clearly doing very well for itself but from an outsider's perspective it's downtown has evolved less than Detroit and Cleveland over the past several decades and those two things just don't compute in my brain.  lol

• Like 1