More Accolades for Nashville

Guest 5th & Main Urbanite

2 minutes ago, Binbin98 said:

One day, Nashville’s current crime issue and police understaffing will catch up with its reputation. I believe the growth and popularity of the city will start to slow at that point. Generally I have been silent on this forum recently because I feel that Nashville isn’t handling its growth correctly. There are like 100 hotels and residences under construction and tall buildings proposed which is great, but problems such as infrastructure, policing/crime reduction, education etc... seems to just be swept under the rug by local politicians on both political sides. I am an ardent supporter of Nashville’s growth and think that the city has a lot to offer to the world, but I have just been turned off recently by the one-dimensional aspect of the growth recently. Can’t wait for the downvotes

What is happening is that all areas around downtown are gentrifying...driving residents to the suburbs (who can't afford "new Nashville.").  It's almost like "white flight"...but it's more like "middle-class to lower income" flight.  And by "suburbs"...that kinda includes parts of Davidson County that may still be somewhat affordable.

Every month, it's becoming harder and harder for middle-class workers in Davidson County to actually live in Davidson County.

It's great to see Nashville grow and "improve"...but there is a cost to it all.

• Like 1

American cities are becoming like European cities. The wealthy live in the core and the lower classes live in the rings farther out. They'll never be quite like Paris because they have wealthy enclaves that popped up over 100 years ago like Belle Meade. But Nashville is not typical as it's comparatively a wealthy city on a whole. 

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 11:26 AM, BnaBreaker said:

You can downvote it if you like, but @ruraljuror has a point.  Nashvillians really don't have a lot of room to throw stones in regards to crime, unfortunately.  Whenever a Nashvillian looks at me aghast when I tell them I live in Chicago now, and ask me how I can live in such a "dangerous place," I relish the opportunity to then point out to them that actually, Nashville has a higher violent crime rate than Chicago.  

I think it has more to do with how the numbers are being reported, and not that Nashville actually has more violent crime than other cities. I could have sworn I was told that Nashville  reports each charge on a call as a separate crime. For example, if a robbery/assault occurred  then it would be two crimes for us, but in many other cities it would be reported as one crime.

Because lets be real here, I don't think anybody could argue that Nashville is more dangerous. Wasn't it July where Chicago had 68 people shot in one weekend?

Edited by bigeasy
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, bigeasy said:

I think it has more to do with how the numbers are being reported, and not that Nashville actually has more violent crime than other cities. I could have sworn I was told that Nashville  reports each charge on a call as a separate crime. For example, if a robbery/assault occurred  then it would be two crimes for us, but in many other cities it would be reported as one crime.

Because lets be real here, I don't think anybody could argue that Nashville is more dangerous. Wasn't it July where Chicago had 68 people shot in one weekend?

My friend you are, of course, free to believe what you'd like but if that's the claim you want to make then your argument is with statistics.   And yes, there was a weekend where 68 people were shot, which is obviously very unfortunate, but that's 68 people in a metro of ten million that were confined to a small handful of neighborhoods, so the "danger" to the average person is so vastly overstated that it's almost comical.  And to be clear, Chicago's homicide rate is a bit higher, but I was referring to overall violent crime rates.

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 2

Cumberland Punch, a beer from East Nashville Beer Works, was awarded the silver medal in the "American-Style Wheat Beer" category at the Great American Beer Festival in Denver.

More at The Tennessean here:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/entertainment/music/2019/10/07/great-american-beer-festival-east-nashville-beer-works-wins-big/3897385002/

• Like 3