More Accolades for Nashville

Guest 5th & Main Urbanite

1 hour ago, MLBrumby said:

Looks very nice!! Considering voting for it, but I need to know why they actually want/need a REdesign.  Wasn't the cathedral iconic enough?  Wouldn't that call for a complete restoration without changing its historical architectural integrity? 

Most of the fire damage was to the 1854 reconstruction by Viollet-le-Duc,  He added virtually all of the stained glass, the spire, a lot of gargoyles.  If you look at the multitude of redesigns and additions to the cathedral, you have to ask what line is drawn for "historical architectural integrity".   Yes it is iconic, but it not a museum piece...it is a living religious church and not necessarily anchored to a specific time.  Consider our own icons.

The Washington Monument or Jefferson's domed memorial ARE structures that should be frozen in time.  But the Capitol or the Whitehouse have been continually added to and expanded in this century alone.  Why? Because they are working structures.  Likewise Notre Dame is not a memorial monument either.   I have endeavored to restore and respect the original cathedral, but connect it to OUR times as has always happened in the past.  With the damage to the existing structure, it is not likely that one should replace the combustible timber framing or the lead roofing which is a poisonous material.  There was a recent story about submerged oak being found that could replace the timber roof, but IMO they would be so much heavier than the very dry medieval timber that the wall structure could not bear the loading.  Also recovering the wood from the lake bottom would be a horrible environmental disaster.    This competition is not being considered for actual construction  but as an opportunity to present options to the French people and government of what they could build.  I think if you look at the other entries, you will see that mine  might be most acceptable than most of the others hypothetically.  If the French are presented with only the option of an absolute restoration, what is the purpose of architectural design anyway if it is frozen in time?

Edited by Baronakim
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, dxfret said:

The presidential debate at Belmont will be another huge exposure boost for the city.  
Nashville is much changed since the first debate here in 2008.  

It may not be the best exposure though. Depending on how things go over the next year, there could be a substantial protest alongside this debate. Of course most media is reluctant to cover protests too much so this may not be seen nationally. 

25 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Not sure if this is an accolade or not I guess depending on your view Nashville is the leader in bachelorette parties according to this CNN report.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/bachelorette-party-nashville-tennessee/index.html

I guess a “WOO-HOO” is appropriate? :tw_tired:

• Haha 3

That will throw the BNA approach from the north into a shambles if they pick Opryland. That would be considered a no fly zone and all of the air traffic would have to be re-routed which I dont think could happen. The traffic comes just to the east of Opryland and just one crazy pilot could take out the majority of the leaders of the  industrialized world.

6 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

That will throw the BNA approach from the north into a shambles if they pick Opryland. That would be considered a no fly zone and all of the air traffic would have to be re-routed which I dont think could happen. The traffic comes just to the east of Opryland and just one crazy pilot could take out the majority of the leaders of the  industrialized world.

If the backers of Nashville's NFL Draft get behind this then they will just shut the airport down for a few days and tell anyone opposing it that they are bad sports and not pro Nashville....."just fly to Memphis or Knoxville and make the short drive......"

Edited by Nash_12South

1 hour ago, smeagolsfree said:

To be honest, I would not want the G7 here. It would be a week of traffic jams due to motorcades, roadblocks, security checks and the like. Sort of like have the DEM or REP convention in town.

A total mess. Let them go to CA and pray for a magnitude 11 earthquake.

Wow, such a harsh commentary!

• Like 2

This is whimsical...but what the hey:  The Nashville Zoo's Expedition Peru exhibit restrooms have been chosen as "America's Best Restroom" by Cintas Corporation.

More at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2019/10/23/americas-best-restroom-is-right-here-in-nashville.html?iana=hpmvp_nsh_news_headline

• Like 4

3 hours ago, donNdonelson2 said:

The snake exhibit above the urinals in the men’s room by the zoo entrance is fun, too. Some guys are genuinely freaked out when they realize those are real snakes up there. I witnessed one guy retreat to a stall rather than “do his business” while in the snakes’s presence.

if that was at the end of red white and zoo this year, that was probably me.   i did that.  i almost ran outside.

9 hours ago, donNdonelson2 said:

And then there are the protests and riots that often come with these meetings. We do NOT need G7.

the NRA convention is here next year,  there was a minor protest when it was here a few years ago, but i wouldnt be shocked if there is a much larger one this time around. 

On 10/23/2019 at 6:56 AM, markhollin said:

Opryland Hotel a possible site to host next G-7 Summit?

More at The Tennessean here:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/politics/2019/10/22/could-g-7-summit-city-nashville-tennessee/4062841002/

Some erudite thoughts on that...….if it came to Nashville, they would have to call it the G Major Conference or better yet, the C, G, and F Conference.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2