More Accolades for Nashville

Guest 5th & Main Urbanite

22 minutes ago, jmtunafish said:

That's still a sore subject for me and for many others.  Gaylord built Fiesta Texas which is still going strong, while Gaylord turned Nashville's Opryland into a crummy shopping mall.

Gaylord tried to get Six Flags to make a deal to buy (or operate) Opryland, too. They couldn’t come to terms. Gaylord teamed with USAA to build Fiesta Texas and its popularity built on San Antonio’s strong tourism and flourished while Opryland attendance floundered. Two different markets, two different stories. (I worked at Opryland 17 years)

• Like 2

15 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

Here is a top 10 from 2017 I think with the 2016 numbers and number 10 is 25 million visitors.

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/the-most-visited-cities-in-the-us.html

I would imagine most of those cities would be above us...but I really do wonder how some cities come up with their numbers.  It would be nice if all cities calculated it the same way.  If that happened, I have a feeling we’d rise in the rankings quite a bit.  With the number of hotel rooms we have and occupancy rates...I’d have to guess some cities count cars...people coming through the airport...etc...rather than hotel nights.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Bridgestone Arena Named 2019 Venue of the Year by the CMA

Recognition marks second-time honor for 501 Broadway

The Country Music Association (CMA) announced Tuesday that Bridgestone Arena, home of the National Hockey League's Nashville Predators, has been named Venue of the Year for 2019. This is the second win for the building in the category, with the first awarded in 2017.

"It's an honor to receive CMA's Venue of the Year award for 2019. Our consistent recognition as a top venue in the United States would not be possible without the countless country music fans who attend our events and our outstanding staff who work tirelessly from on sale to load out," said Nashville Predators and Bridgestone Arena Senior Vice President of Entertainment and Marketing David Kells. "We also owe our thanks to the agents, promoters, mangers and artists of the country touring industry who trust us with their shows each year. With their continued support, we look forward to maintaining the highest standard of entertainment in Music City."

Following a summer highlighted by more than $8 million in renovations, Bridgestone Arena ranked sixth in the United States and 13th in the world for concert ticket sales, according to Pollstar's 2019 Year-End Ticket Sales report. Pollstar announced Bridgestone Arena ticket sales as 740,975 inclusive of solely show and concert tickets, from 61 performances to 40 sold-out shows. Of those sold-out shows, one of the most memorable was the star-studded 53rd Annual CMA Awards, which marked the 14th occasion that the event took place at Bridgestone Arena.

The CMA Awards nominees and winners are determined by the more than 7,400 industry professional members of the Country Music Association, which when established in 1958, became the first trade organization formed to promote an individual genre of music. The first CMA Awards Banquet and Show was held in 1967. The following year, the CMA Awards was broadcast on NBC Television for the first time - making it the longest running, annual music awards program on network television.

• Like 4

I had a picture and I wish I could find it of the Hampton Inn just before all of this started. I was catty corner form the Hampton and there was nothing around that area. It was there by itself and folks on this board were saying it was too far out to do well and then the Hilton Garden Inn was built and the same thing.

Nashville-area median wages grew faster than all U.S. metros in the last quarter of 2019, beating out rising tech hubs Dallas, Austin and Miami, a PayScale.com survey found.

The region saw 4.7% wage growth, led by the arts, entertainment and recreation industries in the last three months of 2019 compared to that period the prior year.  The median national wage jumped 2.5%. 

More at The Tennessean here:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2020/02/10/nashville-wage-growth-outpaces-peer-cities/4667382002/

• Like 3

1 hour ago, markhollin said:

The hockey world had their eyes turned on Nashville again throughout the day yesterday as the NHL's annual "Hockey Day in America" was anchored at the Bridgestone Arena Plaza over 9 hours, and 3 games (including the broadcast of the Preds dramatic 2-1 win over St. Louis as the final contest).  

Looking at the mini-ice rink erected for the month of February on the plaza with NBS sports desk in the distance:

1.jpg

NBS hockey analysts Keith Jones, Brian Bouche, and Liam McHugh were on throughout the 9 hours with thousands of Preds fans and downtown Nashville as their backdrop:

2.jpg

Jon Hamm was at the game! Love that dude.

• Like 1