More Accolades for Nashville

Guest 5th & Main Urbanite

On 2/19/2022 at 6:28 PM, fishsticks176 said:

I randomly met the director and was interviewed for this French documentary about Nashville a couple years ago. Looks like I didn't make the cut, but it was just released this week:

Loved watching that! Thanks for sharing! Always fascinating to see our culture reflected through the eyes of another, very different culture. 

And from the title, one can surmise the focus is rather biased (towards music) - and narrow. That's true, but I found it fascinating.

Talking with the French owners of Once Upon a Time in France recently (an East Nashville French bistro), I gained some interesting perspective. They've been here a few years, they're quite cosmopolitan, and (they said) it's their favorite place, by far, to have ever lived. 

Edited by Flatrock
Clarification
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, markhollin said:

Nashville’s business and convention travel is roaring back, the city’s chief tourism official said.

Although conventions aren’t setting any size records, the sector has normalized as of two weeks ago, Butch Spyridon, president of the Nashville Convention & Visitors Corp., said at the March 10 Vanderbilt Project Management Symposium.

“From this point forward, we are full steam ahead. We will set some records for this fiscal year, and we will continue to fire on all cylinders,” he said.

Indeed, the city has already booked eight more conventions, 28, for this year than it did for the entirety of 2019, according to data from the Visitors Corp.

Hotel room revenue, an indicator of business, convention and leisure travel, is also expected to total $1.58 billion this fiscal year, according to an STR forecast. That number, more than double last year’s sum, would mark a new record.

More at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2022/03/15/spyridon-comments-on-convention-travel.html?cx_testId=40&cx_testVariant=cx_34&cx_artPos=0#cxrecs_s

All the more reason the Nashville Convention and Visitors Corporation should help finance any potential stadium deal.

• Like 3

Nashville’s business and convention travel is roaring back, the city’s chief tourism official said.

Although conventions aren’t setting any size records, the sector has normalized as of two weeks ago, Butch Spyridon, president of the Nashville Convention & Visitors Corp., said at the March 10 Vanderbilt Project Management Symposium.

“From this point forward, we are full steam ahead. We will set some records for this fiscal year, and we will continue to fire on all cylinders,” he said.

Indeed, the city has already booked eight more conventions, 28, for this year than it did for the entirety of 2019, according to data from the Visitors Corp.

Hotel room revenue, an indicator of business, convention and leisure travel, is also expected to total $1.58 billion this fiscal year, according to an STR forecast. That number, more than double last year’s sum, would mark a new record.

More at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2022/03/15/spyridon-comments-on-convention-travel.html?cx_testId=40&cx_testVariant=cx_34&cx_artPos=0#cxrecs_s

Speaking of conventions, just saw it's down between Nashville and Milwaukee to host the RNC in 2024.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

4 hours ago, FluffyP13 said:

Speaking of conventions, just saw it's down between Nashville and Milwaukee to host the RNC in 2024.

There is no way they are going to pick Milwaukee. Nashville is a known party city with much more to do. At least in my opinion anyways

• Like 1

Airbnb has ranked Tennessee the No. 7 state in the nation for new host income. New Tennessee hosts earned $60 million in 2021 out of the $1.8 billion in overall new host income last year.

More at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2022/03/17/tn-ranks-highly-for-new-airbnb-income.html?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2022.03.18 NASH&utm_term=NASHtoday Subscribers - MASTER

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

Airbnb has ranked Tennessee the No. 7 state in the nation for new host income. New Tennessee hosts earned $60 million in 2021 out of the $1.8 billion in overall new host income last year.

More at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2022/03/17/tn-ranks-highly-for-new-airbnb-income.html?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2022.03.18 NASH&utm_term=NASHtoday Subscribers - MASTER

destroying neighborhoods and making Nashville more unaffordable on host at a time. 

• Like 3

On 3/18/2022 at 10:32 AM, nashvylle said:

destroying neighborhoods and making Nashville more unaffordable on host at a time. 

On the contrary,  AirBNB is  saving the Nashville tourism industry by providing a service that hotels do not and providing a political counter-point to the big-money interests of the hotel lobby.  AirBNB has supported the continued construction of new, more dense, housing stock within the central city. 

Every former resident who has sold their SFH lot so it could be re-developed into 2 or 3 "tall-skinnies" did so voluntarily and pocketed a nice profit in the process... so just how does that make a neighborhood "unaffordable"?  If your answer is "Because it raises the property values and makes property taxes go up" then my response to you is "Then it's the Metro Government making the neighborhood unaffordable, not private land owners".

If your answer is "It drives up property values so that *new residents* can't afford to move into the central city" then my response to you is "Nobody is guaranteed the right to buy an affordable house wherever they want".

If your response is "It drives up property values and that raises the rent for people that don't own the homes they are living in" then my response to you is "They are renting, meaning they are just there temporarily... Nobody is guaranteed the right to continue to live in the same rental property without the rent ever going up".

The construction driven by AirBNB is re-vitalizing neighborhoods, adding to the overall available housing stock, increasing density, and providing a profitable income to people who willingly invest in Nashville housing.  The city's limitations on AirBNB are a violation of private property rights that is short-sighted, self-destructive, and most likely a corrupt anti-competitive policy driven by the vested interests of the hotel industry.

• Like 1
  • Confused 5

5 hours ago, Armacing said:

On the contrary,  AirBNB is  saving the Nashville tourism industry by providing a service that hotels do not and providing a political counter-point to the big-money interests of the hotel lobby.  AirBNB has supported the continued construction of new, more dense, housing stock within the central city. 

Every former resident who has sold their SFH lot so it could be re-developed into 2 or 3 "tall-skinnies" did so voluntarily and pocketed a nice profit in the process... so just how does that make a neighborhood "unaffordable"?  If your answer is "Because it raises the property values and makes property taxes go up" then my response to you is "Then it's the Metro Government making the neighborhood unaffordable, not private land owners".

If your answer is "It drives up property values so that *new residents* can't afford to move into the central city" then my response to you is "Nobody is guaranteed the right to buy an affordable house wherever they want".

If your response is "It drives up property values and that raises the rent for people that don't own the homes they are living in" then my response to you is "They are renting, meaning they are just there temporarily... Nobody is guaranteed the right to continue to live in the same rental property without the rent ever going up".

The construction driven by AirBNB is re-vitalizing neighborhoods, adding to the overall available housing stock, increasing density, and providing a profitable income to people who willingly invest in Nashville housing.  The city's limitations on AirBNB are a violation of private property rights that is short-sighted, self-destructive, and most likely a corrupt anti-competitive policy driven by the vested interests of the hotel industry.

I may have been a bit more open minded about this but having just finished a brutal home search I’m just done with the rental companies and investors, including AirBNB. What’s the point of more housing if those companies are pricing out anyone who isn’t moving from a $2 million home sale in California. Funny thing is that everyone I know who lives in Davidson county wants to get out of Davidson county for a variety of reasons, some I see the merit in and some I think are idiotic. We actually wanted to stay, but still ended up buying in Sumner county because almost anything reasonably priced that would be worth buying in Davidson has been snapped up by carpetbagging companies like ABnB. If it’s not them its the investors. I saw one house that sold on 2/3/2022 for $300,000, and then was put back on the market on 2/24 for $375,000. Literally nothing was done to merit this, someone just wanted to make quick money. Tens of thousands of potential homebuyers were priced out of this house over a 3 week period due to one person or organizations greed. You may say, whelp that’s the free market, and maybe you’re right. I just don’t care anymore. 

• Like 3