More Accolades for Nashville

Guest 5th & Main Urbanite

On 1/27/2023 at 9:39 PM, The Guardian of Memphis said:

Memphis is #25, M-Boro is in the 100s per the link. Our sidewalks are not that great, that’s a pet peeve of mine. Don’t know what the point was of pointing out where Memphis is on the list. My neighborhood is fairly clean and I don’t live in the richest part of town either. 

Memphis is #25 overall, but if you look at the individual category rankings it is #14 for "Living Conditions" and #11 for "Infrastructure".  Again, not saying this is accurate, but I wanted to clarify where my numbers came from in the original post.

Edited by Armacing

Memphis has a really interesting history, but the leadership of the past 50 years has been awful.  Poor mayors, county officials, city council, congressional reps, and even their busines leaders don't show any interest in investing in the core. What does Memphis have... 4-5 F500 HQs, but how many are in the city? IP and Fedex are out in the burbs (I can understand Fedex as it's reliant on the airport) and the downtown is not really the metro's Central Business District as its so close to the river. However, I've seen some green shoots lately in residential investment downtown and midtown. St. Jude and UTMS are investing hundreds of millions of dollars. I've also read about a national river boat line that wants to invest in a new embarkation port. The Grizzlies have built a loyal regional following. So there's hope.  If the city can get its crime under control, it will go a long way toward turning the city around. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Nashville is chosen as the 2nd best city in the U.S. to start an AirBnB property according to Incfile. In Music City "the average Airbnb rakes in just under $4,000 a month, and though the cost of living and housing prices are a little steep, the average revenue and higher-than-normal occupancy rate of 56% means you’re likely to recoup your initial investment quickly."

More at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2023/02/03/airbnb-real-estate-tourism-travel-housing-prices.html

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

22 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

I think that we should support our friends over on the Memphis board as much as possible. Sometimes when folks keep telling you your depressed or bad you have no other choice to believe it. With the tragedy that happed in Memphis This past week or so, that may be a start of a turn around. At some point a place has to hit rock bottom. to start coming back. I think the downtown has started turning around somewhat from the looks of what I am seeing on the board.

Cities like Detroit have a much harder road to go as they lost so much population, and many blocks of the city were torn down. The bones in Memphis are still in place. Systemic problems can be solved with hard work, but if you have the loss of infrastructure and decades of job loss that is another thing entirely. Shelby County unemployment rate is currently at 5.1% which is about the third highest in the state which is not good compared to the overall 3.2% of the state. There needs to be more of a push for jobs in Memphis and Shelby by TDEC.

Thank you. Don’t like stats when it comes to cities but I’ll play along. Per the TN Dept. of Labor, Memphis was at 3.7, while Nashville was 2.3 in Dec. 2022. National avg is 3.5. So hey, we’re OK on one statistic!!! Party time! 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, The Guardian of Memphis said:

Thank you. Don’t like stats when it comes to cities but I’ll play along. Per the TN Dept. of Labor, Memphis was at 3.7, while Nashville was 2.3 in Dec. 2022. National avg is 3.5. So hey, we’re OK on one statistic!!! Party time! 

Those were the Feb. Numbers that I saw and by county. Oops...just looked feb 2022.

December Unemployment Down in Nearly All Tennessee Counties (tn.gov)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

What Nashville needs is a world class,interactive Museum of Music that explores the history of music from a global perspective.

Then right next to it a Museum of American Music which does the same thing except from an American perspective.

Since my first location for this-Upper Broad- is now taken by private developers, perhaps some philanthropist could work with the city to get a project such as this on Music Row.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, markhollin said:

Nashville comes in at #5 on Southern Living's list of "The South's Best Cities of 2023."

https://www.southernliving.com/souths-best/cities

Come on, Southern Living, you can do better than this old stock photo of downtown Nashville from 20 years ago.

Nashville Panoramic View of Skyline

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 2/27/2023 at 12:44 PM, MidTenn1 said:

Plus a museum of Nashville Rock & Roll music and all on the East Bank where the scrap yard is (only cleaned up)!

That’s a great idea! Perfect location for a Museum & Theater district connected by open green space. Built on top of a massive underground parking facility, ( got to dig deep to remove the toxic layers anyway) much like what’s being built underneath the Nashville Yards entertainment area. As I mentioned before, include a Nashville Eye Ferris Wheel and maybe a Carousel. Make a well lit family friendly area for all to enjoy. 

• Like 4

Nashville ranks sixth in the country in net migration among Gen Z.  There were 11,138 who moved to Nashville, while 4,462 moved out, giving the city a net gain of 6,676.  That total ranks behind only Washington D.C., Columbia, S. C., Boston, Mass., Atlanta, Ga. and Austin, TX, according to a study from Today's Homeowner.

More at The Tennessean here:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/2023/03/15/why-nashville-ranks-among-top-cities-for-gen-z/70008306007/

• Like 2