More Accolades for Nashville

Guest 5th & Main Urbanite

I wouldn't really call this one an "accolade," but it is a pretty humorous take on Nashville's gentrification conversation  http://www.nashvillescene.com/nashvillecream/archives/2014/12/02/chris-crofton-advice-king-priced-out-of-east-nashville.  It mainly speaks of East Nashville specifically, but as the comments indicate, the article has resonance in several parts of town.  For example, the reference to "condo zombies" does not have a lot of relevance to East Nashville in the way that it does to Sobro/Gulch.  I like the comment telling the hipsters to stop complaining about Gentrification and just "buy something." Enjoy!

• Like 1

Tennessean reports that Travel and Leisure have named Nashville one of the "most attractive" (citizens) cities in its November issue.  Music City comes in at #7.  Miami is first. 

http://www.tennessean.com/story/life/2014/12/03/travel-leisure-ranks-nashville-among-attractive/19833825/

http://www.travelandleisure.com/toc/november-2014

Tennessean reports that Travel and Leisure have named Nashville one of the "most attractive" (citizens) cities in its November issue.  Music City comes in at #7.  Miami is first. 

http://www.tennessean.com/story/life/2014/12/03/travel-leisure-ranks-nashville-among-attractive/19833825/

Good thing they did not see me. I will bring any ranking like that, to the bottom.

• Like 1

I wouldn't really call this one an "accolade," but it is a pretty humorous take on Nashville's gentrification conversation  http://www.nashvillescene.com/nashvillecream/archives/2014/12/02/chris-crofton-advice-king-priced-out-of-east-nashville.  It mainly speaks of East Nashville specifically, but as the comments indicate, the article has resonance in several parts of town.  For example, the reference to "condo zombies" does not have a lot of relevance to East Nashville in the way that it does to Sobro/Gulch.  I like the comment telling the hipsters to stop complaining about Gentrification and just "buy something." Enjoy!

Yeah...

I agree with some of what he is saying.  This article caused quite a stir over on /r/nashville.  Apparently the author of that article is a Nashvillian by way of New York > Nashville > LA, FWIW.

The article is hilarious for the obvious reason that the author is full of $hit. ha 

I am an on-again off-again resident of Nashville and the changes from Podunk country to respectable middle-tier are welcome by myself and my family and friends... and I am about as far from a hipster as they come. If not for the author's Occupy Wall Street screeching I would have thought he was making fun of the unfortunate person who posed the question. And speaking of the question...is that a real question? I mean, if the "Advice King" told him to quit whining do you think he would listen?

Time for me to celebrate...

tumblr_m8o8g4iZ7Z1rd2qw6o1_r1_250.gif

• Like 1

From Next City...

Why is Nashville is still America's Music City....

Maintaining a thriving music industry is no small accomplishment. By 2015, global music operations could have a $9.7 billion impact on Nashville, a recent study released by the Chamber of Commerce found. Part of the secret of the city’s success lies in its history, but let’s face it: Detroit, New Orleans and Memphis have pretty impressive musical legacies, too, and those cities don’t have the industry of Music City. For urban policy wonks, it’s hard not to wonder what Nashville’s magic is and whether or not it’s replicable.

and...

Nashville has been called Music City for more than a century. Some say the nickname was coined by the United Kingdom’s Queen Victoria in 1873. As local myth would have it, the queen saw a performance by the Fisk Jubilee Singers, an African-American a capella act from Nashville’s historically black college, Fisk University, and was so impressed that she remarked the group must have come from the “music city” of the United States. The moniker stuck.
  • Like 2

Wish I could find a recording by Cortella Clark. He was a blind, African-American blues singer who sat in a chair next to the entrance of Harvey's Department Store on 6th Avenue back in the 60's and sold shopping bags for a dime apiece while playing his unique style of blues by slapping the guitar strings in a distinctive, soulful way. I know, because I saw him several times a day as I went to work at Harvey's.

This being the Music City, a Music Row person came down a recorded his songs one day and put it on an album. It didn't sell enough to stop him from selling shopping bags, but it did win the Best Rhythm and Blues Grammy that year. Its an incredible story that could only happen in Nashville.

Edited by PHofKS
  • Like 4

Wish I could find a recording by Cortella Clark. He was a blind, African-American blues singer who sat in a chair next to the entrance of Harvey's Department Store on 6th Avenue back in the 60's and sold shopping bags for a dime apiece while playing his unique style of blues by slapping the guitar strings in a distinctive, soulful way. I know, because I saw him several times a day as I went to work at Harvey's.

This being the Music City, a Music Row person came down a recorded his songs one day and put it on an album. It didn't sell enough to stop him from selling shopping bags, but it did win the Best Rhythm and Blues Grammy that year. Its an incredible story that could only happen in Nashville.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvwsV4WmOlc

Looks like Mickey Newbury's album 'In A New Age' (1988) has the title track named after Cortelia.

Edited by grilled_cheese
  • Like 2

Bob Harris My Nashville.  BBC Documentary by some guy who loves Nashville. Very positive take on the city.

An excellent BBC program about Nashville.

With this sort of publicity tourism from Europe will most certainly increase. Perhaps the rumored British Airways nonstop flight from London to BNA may actually happen.

• Like 2

Bob Harris My Nashville.  BBC Documentary by some guy who loves Nashville. Very positive take on the city.

Wow, that was phenomenal. Wish they did a little more about the non-music segments of town, but all in all, probably the best piece I've seen on Nashville ever. Makes it easy to be proud of the city when you see stuff like this!

• Like 1

Thanks for posting, just got around to watching this and I have a few thoughts....

Kind of funny how they totally skip over the 80s cowpunk era, Rock Block anyone?  Kinda ticked me off that they were playing a Jason & The Scorchers song while they were driving up and down Music Row, talking to that rec exec.  Always good to see Todd Snider get a shoutout.  Great to see Jason Isbell and his wife, Amanda.  Dude is the real deal if you're looking for an alternative to the radio country garbage they're churning out these days.

edit:  didn't mean to be so negative.  that was a great documentary.  better than the last few 'nashville' docs i've seen.

Edited by grilled_cheese
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Why Sports Illustrated is launching its 2015 swimsuit issue in Nashville

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2015/01/why-sports-illustrated-is-pairing-with-nashville.html?page=all

From the article:

The magazine is partnering with the Nashville Convention and Visitors Corp. to produce a new two-day downtown event around the launch that will feature live music, food, fashion, sports and Nashville culture.

Scheduled for Feb. 11 and 12, all of the models participating in the issue will be on hand in Nashville for the launch event. Nashville-based band The Kings of Leon will headline the event with a special concert on Feb. 11 at the Schermerhorn Symphony Center, featuring opening act Mikky Ekko, also a Nashville resident.

Butch Spyridon, president and CEO of the NCVC, said planning is still underway, but he expects to tent off a whole block downtown to create "Swimville," the accompanying fan-fest.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Report: Nashville the second-most vibrant arts community in the U.S.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2015/01/report-nashville-the-second-most-vibrant-arts.html

From the article:

According to the report, Nashville ranked in the top 10 percent of all cities on every measure, scoring especially well (first place) among arts providers.

"[Nashville] has long been known for its expansive music scene, but the emergence of world-class visual arts and performing arts options has put Nashville – Music City – on the map as an artistic and culturally rich destination," the report concludes. It highlights high-levels of public support for the arts at the local level, generous individual donors and new business development programs for artists like Periscope.

• Like 1

From the article:

"A recently released CBRE report shows Nashville had the lowest 2014 office vacancy rate in “suburban” markets (6.7 percent) in the U.S.

Nashville holds the No. 3 spot for lowest office vacancy in a “metropolitan” area, according to a release.

For comparison, following Nashville in the suburban category is San Jose at 7 percent, Salt Lake City at 9 percent and San Francisco at 9.3 percent. Considering the larger overall metropolitan area, Nashville’s 8.8 percent office vacancy trails only San Jose’s 8 percent and Manhattan and San Francisco’s 7.5 percent."

Tony - I hope you read this article......Bring Back Sheet Music (different location of course due to Bridgestone) or 505 CST!!

Pat Emery was a smart man building those spec buildings in Cool Springs. Now if he can land a major tenant(s) for the Convention center redev office tower DT.

• 2 weeks later...