Guest 5th & Main Urbanite

20 hours ago, nashville_bound said:

This is an extremely frustration demo to live and work near. The incessant eating away of the building....sometimes lasting until 2AM is bad enough....but they also close Church street and 8th North in our block without notice. The snail's pace of this demo explains the 5-year construction timeline of the Courthouse..... government!

Was this demo planned by the same group that decided to move the NYE celebration to the Bicentennial Mall location....? We may never know.

Wouldn't it be better to blame the private company handling the demo than the government? Blaming the government when zero government employees are handling the demo is interesting though.

• Like 2

It is not the government written RFP to which the private contractor responded? This RFP sets the operational guidelines to which the contractor must adhere. So...yeah I blame the government.

7 hours ago, titanhog said:

New federal courthouse will be named after Senator / Actor Fred Thompson, per News 2.

Seems appropriate!  If only there was a way to build this into the name somehow....

THE SENATOR FRED THOMPSON FEDERAL COURTHOUSE...

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 3

The beast hath been dispatched!

There is no Hume-Fogg lease restriction...the students park day-to-day. Once the garage is closed in March plan on street parking becoming an even bigger luxury during school hours.

22 hours ago, donNdonelson2 said:

On street parking would not be so much of a problem in Nashville, but for serial abuse of the limits on meters and lax enforcement. I fully support an aggressive policy of "ticket and tow" on vehicles that violate street parking guidelines!

I've seen a meter attendant doing their job at least four separate times this week while I've been driving around downtown. I've also received a ticket nearly every time I've gone over my paid meter time in the past several years.

There may be certain areas where enforcement is an issue, but I think that is much less pervasive than you realize. ^_^

On 1/12/2017 at 9:13 AM, rookzie said:

The former TennCare Bldg (ex-Gold & Silver, nee-Sears), finally has been reduced to mounds of rubble.  Now comes the diesel caravans to finish hauling it away.  As far as the garage facing 7th Ave is concerned, it still has a bunch of cars visible, many of which belong to students at Hume-Fogg.  Perhaps there's some kind of lease-term, which has yet to be broken.

A really cool pic. As a side note to this picture, am I the only one who is sad that this great American retailer founded almost 125 years ago, known as Sears and Roebuck will almost certainly be completely wiped from the American landscape within the next couple of years as a result of its current death spiral? That will truly mark the end of an era.

Sears.jpg

• Like 4

^^As a child, me and my brothers mapped out our entire Christmas "want-list" through the Sears & Roebuck Christmas Catalog.  We'd get a pen out and write our names beside everything we wanted and make sure mom and dad saw it.  And...sure enough, Christmas morning, at least one or two of those items would be waiting under the tree.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...