Guest 5th & Main Urbanite

Ugh!  I think this building gets uglier each time I look at a rendering....  From NBJ:  http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/print-edition/2015/07/31/courthouse-ready-for-its-verdict.html

Nashville federal courthouse (Graves).jpg

That's what you get, if you aimed for co-contemporary, neo-classicism during the last 2 or 3 decades for such a purpose.  If it were a federal bureau for DC, then arguably it just might have been designed with high-end dimensional and monolithic natural materials (rather than just cladding), and perhaps a more traditional rather than a contemporaneous blending. so as a federal CH, it became passé, as funding became deferred ─ even D.O.A. as some would have branded the design.

You might consider the deferred funding a blessing in disguise, if the good results in a well-conceived redesign.
-==-

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

They may getting ready to start environmental remediation work. My fear is they take all the buildings down and the empty lots remain for years to come.

As far as a sign saying Federal Courthouse coming soon, just imagine they had put the sign there in 2000 or so when the property was bought and it said coming in 2025. I'm just afraid that may be when we get it, or worse 2050.

They may getting ready to start environmental remediation work. My fear is they take all the buildings down and the empty lots remain for years to come.

As far as a sign saying Federal Courthouse coming soon, just imagine they had put the sign there in 2000 or so when the property was bought and it said coming in 2025. I'm just afraid that may be when we get it, or worse 2050.

The Feds must have contracted Alex Palmer to help with this one...

Since when has Nashville ever had a building torn down that remained empty for years?

:P

This design is over 10 years old. Surely it will be something different. Hell, this was proposed back in 1991-1992, since it has taken 23 years so far, I don't see this happening anytime soon, plus friends of mine who live in Bennie Dillion like their southerly view. This would destroy that view.

I wish the Feds had sole this to private development a long time ago. We are not getting a new courthouse, so stop dangling the carrot.

• Like 1

I don't mean to beat a dead horse here, but I cannot believe they're using the same design.  You look at the designs other cities are getting, and this crap is truly a slap in the face.  This kind of design should be going to some small town.  I honestly think I'd rather have the parking lot.  At least that has the prospect of becoming something better.  We're going to be stuck with this massively overpriced Hampton Inn surrounded by useless lawn for the next one hundred years until the city gets tapped for another courthouse update that's twenty years out of date.

• Like 1

I am so sick of this 23 year ordeal. No wonder the conservatives hate the federal government, and I am starting to side with them. This is absolutely ridiculous! How much revenue from these lots has been wasted? Private development could have paid millions in taxes to Nashville Davidson County  if condo, apartment, or  hotel towers were built on the site! How much has the Federal Government cost Nashville in not developing this?

There was a firm who wanted to build three 30+ story residential towers on this lot, but Jim Cooper will not urge the Federal Government to sell it because he wants his damn courthouse so he can place his name on it! Can another Democrat please run against Jim Cooper?

For god's sake, the new courthouse could be built elsewhere!

The fact now that they are waiting on funding to demolish this building is pure idiocy! The courthouse project has been as embarrassing as Alex Palmers dead WES. I am tired of these dreamers never getting anything done. How come every other developer in this town can get projects done except the Feds and Alex Palmer?

The Feds cannot find money for our needed Federal Courthouse, but they can allocate money for instance to give to private universities to study Dolphins and Whales, or some State Universities to study how to make pickles stay crunchy...(yes, that was a real government funded study...)

There are millions of unnecessary Federal Programs, yet no money after 23 years to build the courthouse.

Ax this whole thing and let Tony or, someone else who is capable, to build something else!

Rant over now...

Edited by Paramount747
  • Like 1

He is quite content because he has one of the safest seats in the House. I know several congressional aids who have worked with him.  On separate occasions, each of them has told me that he is generally despised in Congress. His own party members do not like him because they say he is a sanctimonious jerk (he has an unearned reputation for being fiscally conservative despite his votes for Obamacare).  The Clintons hate him because he put up a competing healthcare plan up against Hillary's plan back in 1994 and they still blame him for sabotaging her plans. I have actually sat at the same table with Cooper on three different times, and he does not bother to engage people in discussion, instead choosing to pontificate on his favorite leftist causes. On all three occasions, spread out over a fifteen year span, each time he sat at the table with a scowl on his face, ostensibly wishing he were somewhere else. And the GOP members don't like him because he is not a trustworthy ally on issues where bipartisanship could be found. So there is no wonder that both parties do not want to help him out. In fact, there have actually been other courthouse projects that have jumped ahead of Nashville's in funding (despite the GSA ranking) over the past 20 years. When a Tennessean reporter (about 5 years ago) asked him about why this happened, he answered, "I don't know."  Unfortunately, he will remain Davidson's representative until he decides to leave the office. 

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 2