Guest 5th & Main Urbanite

19 minutes ago, markhollin said:

Slightly updated rendering of the Federal Courthouse.  8 stories in sections.  Because most of the floors will include courtrooms which tend to be as much as 20' tall we are looking at 150-160' in height in portions.  I think this view in particular (looking SW from intersection of 7th Ave. North and Church St.) is going to be profound. The white stone finish (granite? Limestone?) should blend well with the Downtown Library just to the east, and the Bernie Dillon/Doctors Building (Homewood Suites) to the north, and Frost Building to the west.

Federal Courthouse, Sept 28, 2018, render.png

Beautiful, it’ll be quite the looker in that part of town. So in this shot if the camera panned left that would be the public library? 

• Like 1

A few more details released regarding the new Courthouse:

- 276,000 square feet

- 8 courtrooms, 11 chambers

- LEED gold certification

- Hensel Phillips General Contractor

- Michael Graves Thomas Miller Partners architects, along with Fentress Architecture

More behind the Nashville Psst paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/21024898/new-image-released-for-federal-courthouse

• Like 3

1 minute ago, titanhog said:

Aren't the setbacks like this because of safety issues?

I assume so. I really don't like the idea that just because some craphead bombed a courthouse almost 25 years ago, future courthouses in major cities will all be designed in a way that is entirely inappropriate for their location.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Rockatansky said:

Like the building, hate the setbacks. This is downtown Nashville. The building should address the street.

6 hours ago, Rockatansky said:

I assume so. I really don't like the idea that just because some craphead bombed a courthouse almost 25 years ago, future courthouses in major cities will all be designed in a way that is entirely inappropriate for their location.

Sorry you don't like them but they could save lives... so..... hmmm.... maybe just get over it?

The beautiful white exterior and robust architecture will be great addition to downtown. 

• Like 2

I like it. I used to live across the street from the Federal Court House in Alexandria, VA and it definitely didn't have the setbacks, it was also built after the OKC bombing. Large sidewalks with bollards and a small brick plaza in front, but definitely not 50ft setbacks. I presume the exterior walls were reinforced and made blast resistant though. Still though, I like this project and am not opposed to a little well maintained green space. Definitely looks better than the Hampton Inn and Jail renderings we first saw.

2 hours ago, Nathan_in_the_UK said:

I like it. I used to live across the street from the Federal Court House in Alexandria, VA and it definitely didn't have the setbacks, it was also built after the OKC bombing. Large sidewalks with bollards and a small brick plaza in front, but definitely not 50ft setbacks. I presume the exterior walls were reinforced and made blast resistant though. Still though, I like this project and am not opposed to a little well maintained green space. Definitely looks better than the Hampton Inn and Jail renderings we first saw.

The 50ft thing can be mitigated by several factors. Like everything else with the government, building standards are literally thousands of pages of facility criteria and address active and passive countermeasures that  address current and emerging threats.

Edited by Tenn2Tex
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am no construction expert (right?), however the last six months has been a series of moving rock and dirt from one side of the site to the other. The depth achieved to date is underwhelming and if this is the extent of the dig they could have gone verticle much sooner..... slow, slow, slow. 

By comparison, say what you like about the current Hensley project, they know how to blast/dig and have lapped this project several times in a much briefer timeframe.

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, nashville_bound said:

I am no construction expert (right?), however the last six months has been a series of moving rock and dirt from one side of the site to the other. The depth achieved to date is underwhelming and if this is the extent of the dig they could have gone verticle much sooner..... slow, slow, slow. 

By comparison, say what you like about the current Hensley project, they know how to blast/dig and have lapped this project several times in a much briefer timeframe.

#Gov'tContract

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...