Federal Courthouse, 6 & 8 stories, 276,000 sq. ft., spring 2021 completion

Guest 5th & Main Urbanite

1 hour ago, nashvillwill said:

More curtain wall being installed this morning. It’s a very bland color and finish. Does not give me hope for the finished product. 

I walked by it yesterday and had sort of the opposite reaction.    The precast panels have a travertine-like texture.    They're also quite substantial in their bulk and thickness, which will give a certain gravitas to the finished structure.        I might have preferred the color of the panels to be a few shades less...white, but it will probably end up looking similar to the Tennessee Tower and, frankly, to many federal buildings you might see in DC.      The glass will be the key for how it all comes together.        

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CenterHill said:

I walked by it yesterday and had sort of the opposite reaction.    The precast panels have a travertine-like texture.    They're also quite substantial in their bulk and thickness, which will give a certain gravitas to the finished structure.        I might have preferred the color of the panels to be a few shades less...white, but it will probably end up looking similar to the Tennessee Tower and, frankly, to many federal buildings you might see in DC.      The glass will be the key for how it all comes together.        

Maybe I need to look again.  My comment was based on a knee-jerk reaction as I was driving past. I know that I can miss the details at 35mph. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Jamie Hall said:

This being a federal courthouse project, is it unusual that there's no security presence around the perimeter of the property during construction? I've never spotted anybody who looks like security personnel in all the photos shared so far.

I don't know how typical it would be to have high security at this type of construction site. I have touched similar projects where government security officials would have regular inspections to ensure that it is building built to their high standards. 

Edited by Nash_12South

On 8/31/2019 at 10:43 AM, markhollin said:

LoFed Courthouse, Aug 30, 2019, 2.jpg

I think the white exterior is beautiful! It's going to be big, bright, and imposing, as all impressive federal buildings should be! I'm excited to see the finished product.

On 9/3/2019 at 2:06 PM, Jamie Hall said:

This being a federal courthouse project, is it unusual that there's no security presence around the perimeter of the property during construction? I've never spotted anybody who looks like security personnel in all the photos shared so far.

I have been thinking the same thing! One would think that, being a federal building, they wouldn't want the general public knowing all of the details of the internal structure/construction/weak points, etc.. Granted, anyone can take pictures from afar, but I thought there would be some type of security preventing someone from gathering close photos, or lingering too long nearby. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Most of steel superstructure is now up for the southern portions of complex. Cladding continues to climb on north and west sides.

Looking SW from intersection of 7th Ave. North and Church St:

Fed Couthouse, Sept 29, 2019, 1.jpg

Looking NW from 7th AVe. North, 1.2 block north of Commerce St:

Fed Couthouse, Sept 29, 2019, 2.jpg

Looking north from Commerce St., 1/2 block east of Rosa L. Parks Blvd:

Fed Couthouse, Sept 29, 2019, 3.jpg

Looking NE from Rosa L. Parks Blvd, 1/2 block north of Commerce St:

Fed Couthouse, Sept 29, 2019, 4.jpg

Looking SE from intersection of Rosa L. Parks Blvd. and Church St:

Fed Couthouse, Sept 29, 2019, 5.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...