Guest 5th & Main Urbanite

1 hour ago, rolly said:

It's a great addition for the city.

I wonder why they didn't go for more levels, like at least 10.
Some of the newer ones in comparable cities are around 15 to 20 stories, like in Jacksonville, Cleveland, Oakland, Sacramento, and Tampa.

US Federal Courthouse List

All of those cities have more effective Congressional representatives. Jim Cooper is known by his colleagues in both parties as a do-nothing back-bencher. I've worked with several lawyers who've worked for him and others in DC. But he has job security. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

All of those cities have more effective Congressional representatives. Jim Cooper is known by his colleagues in both parties as a do-nothing back-bencher. I've worked with several lawyers who've worked for him and others in DC. But he has job security. 

If the Council passes that tax increase, the voters may take it out on both him and his brother.

Personally, I think this building, while attractive but not beautiful, has represented government waste from its very inception. The incredibly lengthy process of planning... funding... defunding... purchasing... designing... the lack of a federal budget for nearly a decade... and then its smallish size with no plan to consolidate the offices contained in the Kefauver building.  This thing should have been built 20 years ago at the NW corner of Demonbreun and incorporated into a federal complex with existing offices. But that would have made too much sense. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

Personally, I think this building, while attractive but not beautiful, has represented government waste from its very inception. The incredibly lengthy process of planning... funding... defunding... purchasing... designing... the lack of a federal budget for nearly a decade... and then its smallish size with no plan to consolidate the offices contained in the Kefauver building.  This thing should have been built 20 years ago at the NW corner of Demonbreun and incorporated into a federal complex with existing offices. But that would have made too much sense. 

I agree that it's been a slow and sometimes frustrating process getting to this point for just a 'smallish' non-consolidating building, but planning/constructing it too quickly and/or too large with excess capacity (based on expected-but-not-guaranteed growth models) can be just as problematic.  Currently (pre-pandemic), the federal government spends almost 2 billion dollars a year maintaining empty buildings and unused office space that may...or may not...be useful at some point in the future. That's pretty frustrating too I think.

As I see it, this is just the nature of real estate speculation for the most part - sometimes developers flip a property at a 5x return after just a few years, and sometimes they overestimate the market's appetite and we end up with a West End Summit sized hole in the ground for 2 decades.

Having a range of outcomes that runs  all the way from wild success to bankruptcy works great for private developers who can either make a lot of money or potentially lose their shirts. For the federal government, however, bankruptcy is an option we don't anywhere near the range of potential outcomes, so actions that may seem like waste when viewed through the lens of the private market can actually be a good way of conducting 'business' for the federal government.  Slow and steady wins the race when the goal is long-term infrastructure planning instead of short-term maximized profit. 

Edited by ruraljuror
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...