Guest 5th & Main Urbanite

The most amazing thing about that photo (above) is the direction of the shot. Looking in that direction a mere five years ago would have shown no notable buildings (ok, one exception with the Unions Station Hotel) of any size. To look toward the southwest from that vantage, it looks like an urban landscape. 

So, is the grey going OVER the red? 

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Has the federal government (GSA) bought the Berger building too. If not, anyone know of the security plan regarding that building?  And anyone know of plans for that area just to the south of the building in the same block. I assume it will be a protected parking lot with security fencing. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, CenterHill said:

I like the courthouse design overall, but I don't understand these rooftop "sheds".    It would be one thing if this was just housing for elevator and mechanical not visible from the street, but these are a good 2 stories tall.     Maybe this doesn't reflect the finished design, but to me it looks like someone airlifted and dropped a corrugated sheet metal auto-body shop onto the roof of stately government building.     

It is probably housing all mechanical systems along with redundant systems and possible even emergency power. Governement buildings have a ton more requirements when it comes to building systems then what most of us would be used to seeing. They probably enclosed all of them to protect them with some of the more paranoid protective measures and as a result need the louvers to allow for adequate air flow to everything. 

So while yes, the penthouse is not really pretty, it is most likely very essential. IMHO this is much better looking than what got plopped on top of The Place over at 5th and Broadway.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...