Guest 5th & Main Urbanite

6 minutes ago, VSRJ said:

Ugh. I've never been one to want to see a project stall, but this is one of those rare cases. Government or not, there's no excuse for this "design."

Agreed, but it is what it is unfortunately. It's also better than a surface parking lot and a dilapidated old garage and crumbling abandoned building.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Bummer... I'm all in favor of the government saving money, but the price tag for this is still astounding, and it's a really ugly building.  So now it will look like a really cheap looking (ironic, yes) 1980s motel. Folks, I know I have harped on my disappointment with this one (for several reasons that defy logic), but I've seen the insides of many a courthouse. It would seem to me that the feds would have wanted to consolidate their operations in one block. Of course, that would have made the corner lot at Demonbreun and 8th a "no brainer" when they set in motion (or slooooooow motion) this project over a decade ago. Just think what that land would be worth now!  Not to mention that now the US Government appears to be about to lose their lease at the Customs House. This could have been done so differently... and a statement piece is always possible, even with the strict security requirements.  In fact, a truly forward-looking architecture firm might have integrated the security infrastructure into the design. If/when this white elephant is built, I'll slowly learn to ignore (if only I could forget) that it is sitting at that prominent site on Church... and will be so underwhelming as it will be built "on the cheap".  Finally, when one thinks about all the pork barrel projects that get passed by Congress because they are pet projects, this (an actual constitutional requirement of Congress) very lame structure should make every taxpayer furious.  Okay.... I've said my piece.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

Bummer... I'm all in favor of the government saving money, but the price tag for this is still astounding, and it's a really ugly building.  So now it will look like a really cheap looking (ironic, yes) 1980s motel. Folks, I know I have harped on my disappointment with this one (for several reasons that defy logic), but I've seen the insides of many a courthouse. It would seem to me that the feds would have wanted to consolidate their operations in one block. Of course, that would have made the corner lot at Demonbreun and 8th a "no brainer" when they set in motion (or slooooooow motion) this project over a decade ago. Just think what that land would be worth now!  Not to mention that now the US Government appears to be about to lose their lease at the Customs House. This could have been done so differently... and a statement piece is always possible, even with the strict security requirements.  In fact, a truly forward-looking architecture firm might have integrated the security infrastructure into the design. If/when this white elephant is built, I'll slowly learn to ignore (if only I could forget) that it is sitting at that prominent site on Church... and will be so underwhelming as it will be built "on the cheap".  Finally, when one thinks about all the pork barrel projects that get passed by Congress because they are pet projects, this (an actual constitutional requirement of Congress) very lame structure should make every taxpayer furious.  Okay.... I've said my piece.  

Hopefully this very issue will become the subject of shared rants to end up in the media.  This way, since the Feds are always "right", at least they wouldn't go clean and unnoticed.  I'd almost rather have no new C.H. than to settle for an "Erector Set".

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, rookzie said:

Hopefully this very issue will become the subject of shared rants to end up in the media.  This way, since the Feds are always "right", at least they wouldn't go clean and unnoticed.  I'd almost rather have no new C.H. than to settle for an "Erector Set".

William?!?  

• 4 months later...
23 minutes ago, bmkTN said:

Anyone heard anything about this recently?  The city has the money for it from the feds, correct?  I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that a total redesign is happening behind the scenes right now.

Knowing how nashville is, they're brainstorming ideas of how to make it shorter and uglier

• Like 4

8 hours ago, markhollin said:

I was speaking with the building manager for the Kefauver Federal Building (current locale of the Federal Court) last week, and he told me they will be clearing the lot in the next several months and breaking ground in the first quarter next year.

So based upon how long it has taken for them to get to this point on this ugly duckling, I suppose we can expect it to top out in the year 2150?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...