Guest 5th & Main Urbanite

Federal Courthouse

355 posts in this topic

20 hours ago, nashville_bound said:

This is an extremely frustration demo to live and work near. The incessant eating away of the building....sometimes lasting until 2AM is bad enough....but they also close Church street and 8th North in our block without notice. The snail's pace of this demo explains the 5-year construction timeline of the Courthouse..... government!

Was this demo planned by the same group that decided to move the NYE celebration to the Bicentennial Mall location....? We may never know.

Wouldn't it be better to blame the private company handling the demo than the government? Blaming the government when zero government employees are handling the demo is interesting though.

2 people like this

Look for several years of the James Cooper federal parking lot.  Conveniently located, close to .... nothing. 

2 people like this

It is not the government written RFP to which the private contractor responded? This RFP sets the operational guidelines to which the contractor must adhere. So...yeah I blame the government.

1 person likes this

Before anything starts, that ugly A#$ parking garage on the block has to come down as well.

1 person likes this

Explosives!?!?!?  This should be very interesting... if also entertaining.

A disaster in the making.

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

A disaster in the making.

Now, now. WhAt  would possibly go wrong with boys playing with explosives downtown?

OOO, I hope it is on the 19th so I can have birthday fireworks!

1 person likes this

Personally, I can't wait to see that old garage come down with explosives.  I love watching implosions....

7 hours ago, titanhog said:

New federal courthouse will be named after Senator / Actor Fred Thompson, per News 2.

Seems appropriate!  If only there was a way to build this into the name somehow....

THE SENATOR FRED THOMPSON FEDERAL COURTHOUSE...

Edited by BnaBreaker
3 people like this

And what will become of Estes' namesake?

That building will remain as a federal office building. 

1 person likes this

The beast hath been dispatched!

There is no Hume-Fogg lease restriction...the students park day-to-day. Once the garage is closed in March plan on street parking becoming an even bigger luxury during school hours.

1 person likes this

On street parking would not be so much of a problem in Nashville, but for serial abuse of the limits on meters and lax enforcement. I fully support an aggressive policy of "ticket and tow" on vehicles that violate street parking guidelines!

2 people like this

22 hours ago, donNdonelson2 said:

On street parking would not be so much of a problem in Nashville, but for serial abuse of the limits on meters and lax enforcement. I fully support an aggressive policy of "ticket and tow" on vehicles that violate street parking guidelines!

I've seen a meter attendant doing their job at least four separate times this week while I've been driving around downtown. I've also received a ticket nearly every time I've gone over my paid meter time in the past several years.

There may be certain areas where enforcement is an issue, but I think that is much less pervasive than you realize. ^_^

^^As a child, me and my brothers mapped out our entire Christmas "want-list" through the Sears & Roebuck Christmas Catalog.  We'd get a pen out and write our names beside everything we wanted and make sure mom and dad saw it.  And...sure enough, Christmas morning, at least one or two of those items would be waiting under the tree.

3 people like this

This just in:

The courthouse property has been...paved with asphalt.

And for their next trick, I predict it will be...

Striped for parking! Hooray! :wacko:

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

Okay!  So only another twenty years as a parking lot, and THEN we can get that beautifully modern 1997 design.

Frankly, the longer they put off building that ugly monster, the better.

2 people like this

Please let the bureaucrats decide to sell the property to the highest bidder...for a new highest skyscraper! (Sometimes you just gotta dream.) 

4 people like this