Guest 5th & Main Urbanite

My oldest son parked in that ancient garage while he was at Hume Fogg.      I'll just say it's a tight fit and evidently challenging for a young driver.     Our youngest now drives that car and the bumpers still bear the scrapes and paint from the garage walls.    A little something to remember it by.     :tw_bawling:  

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, CenterHill said:

My oldest son parked in that ancient garage while he was at Hume Fogg.      I'll just say it's a tight fit and evidently challenging for a young driver.     Our youngest now drives that car and the bumpers still bear the scrapes and paint from the garage walls.    A little something to remember it by.     :tw_bawling:  

From what I can tell by talking to Hume Fogg students that garage exists primarily as a relatively free place to smoke pot and engage in other hooliganism ;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

A 40 or 50-story skyscraper should go on this lot. Way too short and an underutilization of the property.

• Like 1

The design-build services contract is expected to be awarded in the next three months.  Construction is now targeted to start late next spring or early summer. Completion is anticipated in the spring of 2021.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2017/11/21/new-look-195-million-nashville-federal-courthouse-start-rising-next-summer/883972001/

• Like 1

From the Post:

A permit has been issued to allow for the demolition of the art deco parking garage located within the central business district site on which the federal courthouse will be constructed. Bennett Environmental will handle the job, with the permit valued at $475,000.

If anyone hears of the exact time for implosion, please post here.

There will be no implosion for the garage in question. They will be bringing it down in the same manner as the old sears/tncare building formerly on the block....one bite at a time.

chipper.jpg

Edited by Guest

6 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

which is more expensive, implosion or piece by piece?

Implosion is, because of all the things to implement the demolition and also have a secure perimeter and all, and cost versus structure is weighed when they decide to demo a building and it's more cost-effective to go this way versus the way of the LifeWay building later this month.

• Like 1