Guest 5th & Main Urbanite

Federal Courthouse

i lived in the bennie dillon for a few years, it'll be super weird to see that garage gone!

I heard that was the first stand alone parking garage built in Nashville, ca. 1930.  Anyone know?  Seems like the one on 3rd Avenue is older... at least it looks a lot older. 

My oldest son parked in that ancient garage while he was at Hume Fogg.      I'll just say it's a tight fit and evidently challenging for a young driver.     Our youngest now drives that car and the bumpers still bear the scrapes and paint from the garage walls.    A little something to remember it by.     :tw_bawling:  

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, CenterHill said:

My oldest son parked in that ancient garage while he was at Hume Fogg.      I'll just say it's a tight fit and evidently challenging for a young driver.     Our youngest now drives that car and the bumpers still bear the scrapes and paint from the garage walls.    A little something to remember it by.     :tw_bawling:  

From what I can tell by talking to Hume Fogg students that garage exists primarily as a relatively free place to smoke pot and engage in other hooliganism ;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

A 40 or 50-story skyscraper should go on this lot. Way too short and an underutilization of the property.

• Like 1

I like the design, although I do agree that its probably not the best for its location. This would look really stunning along Bicentennial Mall.

• Like 2

Yes, a definite improvement... still not a huge fan, but passable at least.  It looks a bit more stately and fitting for a courthouse. 

• Like 2

To me the roof in the back is very Parthenon-esque like in Athens, sitting on top of the Acropolis. Maybe I'm just seeing things lol. 

• Like 1

I actually think this is worse, at least the old design had some color and post-modern weirdness.  Those huge expanses of white and dark striped boxes give it a boring 50's vibe.  Oh well, just build the damn thing and get it over with.

• Like 1

The design-build services contract is expected to be awarded in the next three months.  Construction is now targeted to start late next spring or early summer. Completion is anticipated in the spring of 2021.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2017/11/21/new-look-195-million-nashville-federal-courthouse-start-rising-next-summer/883972001/

• Like 2

I know the floor slopes since it is a garage, but I love the bones of this building and in different circumstances it would make for a great corporate or creative reuse. 

• Like 4

From the Post:

A permit has been issued to allow for the demolition of the art deco parking garage located within the central business district site on which the federal courthouse will be constructed. Bennett Environmental will handle the job, with the permit valued at $475,000.

If anyone hears of the exact time for implosion, please post here.

There will be no implosion for the garage in question. They will be bringing it down in the same manner as the old sears/tncare building formerly on the block....one bite at a time.

chipper.jpg

Edited by nashville_bound
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

which is more expensive, implosion or piece by piece?

Implosion is, because of all the things to implement the demolition and also have a secure perimeter and all, and cost versus structure is weighed when they decide to demo a building and it's more cost-effective to go this way versus the way of the LifeWay building later this month.

• Like 1