Guest 5th & Main Urbanite

I would like to get my hopes up, but the way the government is running this project I half expect them to lay down a fresh asphalt coat one this task is completed! ha

For what it is worth, the scuttle downtown is they will start digging/blasting closer to August.

• 1 month later...

The pace is abhorrent, yet unsurprising for government projects. I hear actual progress is imminent. There is also talk of the Burger [sp] building owner selling out to the govt since the feds are grabbing ALL of his parking. 

3 hours ago, nashville_bound said:

The pace is abhorrent, yet unsurprising for government projects. I hear actual progress is imminent. There is also talk of the Burger [sp] building owner selling out to the govt since the feds are grabbing ALL of his parking. 

Correct. When Congress does not authorize funding for projects private contractors do not undertake projects. Again, as like everything else in life, if you want something built you have to pay for it

I spoke to a worker on site and he said they are finding a lot of underground surprises at the site, such as old buildings foundation, infill, unmarked utilities, etc.

On that theme he said they were only going down about 15' and the building would not have much under ground period.

• Like 2

On 7/21/2018 at 11:06 PM, smeagolsfree said:

I spoke to a worker on site and he said they are finding a lot of underground surprises at the site, such as old buildings foundation, infill, unmarked utilities, etc.

On that theme he said they were only going down about 15' and the building would not have much under ground period.

Do they ever bring in historians or archaeologists for this sort of thing?

Not really sure Nathan. If they run into something that may be historical or archeological they are supposed to contact the proper agencies, but I am sure a lot of times its just ignored especially if it is a private project that does not want to be delayed for a costly dig that cost time as well as money.

Remember they found Saber Tooth Cat bones when they were building Bridgestone, but I doubt that will happen here because they just are not going down very deep.

1 hour ago, Nathan_in_the_UK said:

Do they ever bring in historians or archaeologists for this sort of thing?

Depends on where it is and what it is. For instance, in downtown Franklin it’s not unusual for someone adding on to their house to find human remains from the Civil War. 

I remember when they were excavating post-9/11 for the foundations of the new WTC buildings they found an old ship underground that had been used in the 19th century as landfill to expend the space available in lower Manhattan. Not sure how long they held stuff up for it though. 

• Like 1

We were contacted today by the construction foreman for the DeFederal Courthouse project. They begin blasting sometime next month and will send inspected to baseline our building beforehand. 

38 minutes ago, CenterHill said:

The saber tooth tiger bones were found in a cave discovered during the excavation of the First American Center (now UBS tower) in the 70's.     Yes, archaeologists were brought in.  

I knew it was one of the buildings and thought it was that one. Thanks for the clarification.

1 hour ago, smeagolsfree said:

Not really sure Nathan. If they run into something that may be historical or archeological they are supposed to contact the proper agencies, but I am sure a lot of times its just ignored especially if it is a private project that does not want to be delayed for a costly dig that cost time as well as money.

1 hour ago, Pdt2f said:

Depends on where it is and what it is. For instance, in downtown Franklin it’s not unusual for someone adding on to their house to find human remains from the Civil War. 

I remember when they were excavating post-9/11 for the foundations of the new WTC buildings they found an old ship underground that had been used in the 19th century as landfill to expend the space available in lower Manhattan. Not sure how long they held stuff up for it though. 

In Boston they ran into the same issue with one of the recent Seaport buildings and it was roughly a three to four week delay (I think, maybe two) to bring in archaeologists and excavate.  I didn't realize that New York had that much backfill like Boston does, but I guess that makes sense for those Northeast cities

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 5:06 PM, smeagolsfree said:

It's a Brownfield in an urban environment so this is not a surprise really. Before the last parking garage was taken down about 13 underground storage tanks were removed. And, yes, the proper agencies were contacted (back in 2009).

When Bridgestone Tower was built, there were about 8 USTs that no one knew were there. This seems to be more of an issue in SoBro than in the areas  north of Broadway.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Brownfield said:

It's a Brownfield in an urban environment so this is not a surprise really. Before the last parking garage was taken down about 13 underground storage tanks were removed. And, yes, the proper agencies were contacted (back in 2009).

When Bridgestone Tower was built, there were about 8 USTs that no one knew were there. This seems to be more of an issue in SoBro than in the areas  north of Broadway.

What kind of storage tanks are they? Septic or something? 

• 3 weeks later...