Argonaut Building

Allan

Apparently work has started on the conversion of the Argonaut Building into lofts. Milwaukee street is blocked off in front of the building, and there are workers and a dumpster on site. Once completed, the building will be a huge improvement to the New Center area.

argonaut.jpg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was hoping that this was downtown but regardless of where they are coming in its good to get more people in Detroit and its good that theres a demand for this. New Center needs a lot of work like downtown so its good to see this development. Do you know how many units will be in this building? It looks like there could be quite a few.

Isn't this the largest lofts conversion happening in the city so far? I think what made this conversion possible was the fact that GM stayed in that building until it was sold. So, it's not like the ceilings are falling down and the walls are peeling.

That's exactly why the renovation of buildings in this area are just that much more meaningful and significant. I lived in the areas around New Center when I was growing up, and giving these residents nice places to shop and work, and those that will move there, is imperative to spreading development outside of Detroit's historic core area.

Now we have to get this one renovated. Lee Plaza is in such great shape structurally. The renovation price tag couldn't be that huge to gut out the interior walls and build new could it?

If anyone wants to see photos of the interior I would be happy to post them in another thread.

lee02.jpg

• 1 month later...

Archived