Duncan Park Stadium Renovation

westsider28

The CPL team name is: Spartanburgers.  While I'm surprised Peaches wasn't even a finalist, and I preferred Sluggers of the finalists, I think this name has the potential to grow on me.  I know that lower-level baseball team names are often goofy/ridiculous, and this fits the bill.  Not sure about the hot-pink color, but whatever.  I bet kids will love the name/branding.  The team expects to launch merchandise sales in March.

826595473_Spartanburgers-Diner-Wordmarkcrop.jpg.660951757572317b258050bab11eec88.jpg

1058643281_Spartanburgers-Burger-Mascotcrop.jpg.477617d3b1e64ec41b00082bdffd4e59.jpg

I don't mind the ridiculous nature of lower league baseball teams, but I've always hated this term , mostly because it sounds dumb, but also because of the culturally grey terminology surrounding the demonym of Spartanburg. I know in my life I've heard "Spartanburgian," "Spartanburger," and my personal favorite, "Spartan" (obviously). But colloquially I've always felt like we avoid the term relative to other cities. Living in Charlotte, we use the term "Charlotteans" a lot more, and dutifully roll our eyes at references/jokes about the word "charlatan." Tangentially, my other thought is that I'm not a fan of the "BURG" merchandise. That's the least original part of the name. I could never buy it and wear it in Charlotte because people would assume its a reference to Mecklenburg County.

To my mind, "Spartan" is the more accurate term, because that's what the soldiers in the Spartan Regiment would have likely called themselves. But I suppose Spartanburger is a natural successor since cities ending in "burg/burgh" tend to use "-er" as their demonym (ie: Pittsburgh = Pittsburgher, Hamburg (Germany) =  Hamburger). I feel like this team name will probably lead to more alignment around the term Spartanburger as awareness in the community increases. But it still feels awkward to me.

My only question is how the team will style themselves. The "Spartanburg Spartanburgers" is weird. Hopefully they just stick with "Spartanburgers" and call it a day.

https://www.goupstate.com/story/news/2021/02/18/spartanburg-coastal-plain-league-baseball-team-name-spartanburgers/4490987001/

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, westsider28 said:

The CPL team name is: Spartanburgers.  While I'm surprised Peaches wasn't even a finalist, and I preferred Sluggers of the finalists, I think this name has the potential to grow on me.  I know that lower-level baseball team names are often goofy/ridiculous, and this fits the bill.  Not sure about the hot-pink color, but whatever.  I bet kids will love the name/branding.  The team expects to launch merchandise sales in March.

826595473_Spartanburgers-Diner-Wordmarkcrop.jpg.660951757572317b258050bab11eec88.jpg

1058643281_Spartanburgers-Burger-Mascotcrop.jpg.477617d3b1e64ec41b00082bdffd4e59.jpg

I'll buy merchandise just for the branding. It's humorous and fun! 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Blue Duck scooters launched this weekend.  There are a total of 100 scooters.  There's a $1.25 unlock fee plus $0.30 per minute to ride.  I've already seen quite a few people riding them.

1466832322_ScootersSBG.thumb.jpg.67af7d8ac4fbd649414c53f3663d8c74.jpg

Also, the first two Spartanburgers games were sold-out (500 fans) on Thursday and Friday evening.  The team lost both, but the games were a lot of fun.  There were a few hiccups, including the internet going down, so concessions were cash-only for a while, and some seating confusion, but I'm sure they'll continue to work out the kinks.  Lots of merch being sold, so I'm sure you'll start to see it being worn around town. 

IMG_20210527_190533750.thumb.jpg.7735eb10ff1fe22d99f044164094335e.jpg

IMG_5185.thumb.JPG.d55579fa2e7a261008f6e1396225acf0.JPG

IMG_5183.thumb.JPG.06bcd7bbab0b09e7c9be27a3bae88867.JPG

IMG_20210528_190451017.thumb.jpg.68fc68bf78d1e1011bb082d17f215b5f.jpg

@SpartanDon't mean to nag, but can we get a Duncan Park thread revived?

• Like 1

Oh, looks like this thread is unlocked now.  ( @Spartan can you move recent Duncan Park / Spartanburgers discussion here?)

Anyway, here's a new article with more background about the team and stadium.  It details some of the issues the organization had to deal with at the first 2 games.  They're going to continue with 500-850 fans for the time being.  Most importantly, more stadium upgrades are planned after this season.  From the article: "'Full capacity' won't be realized until next season, after the upgrades." and "All of the profit we make this year is going right back into Duncan Park."  They also can't cook food on-site — another update fans can expect in 2022.  Ticket and merchandise sales have been brisk.

I can't wait for next season.  If they can get Duncan Park back to full capacity, the atmosphere will be amazing.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

The Spartanburgers will be honoring the Spartanburg Sluggers Negro League team this weekend with special jerseys that will be auctioned off.  Also, $2 from each ticket sold will benefit the Spartanburg Youth Sports Bureau, a non-profit organization that focuses on at-risk youth.

The article also had a few other interesting tidbits:  The stadium has been at least 75% full (current max capacity 850) for every game this season.  Next year's max capacity should be ~1700 after stadium renovations.  There are also plans to create a mural at Duncan Park that will incorporate Negro League history, along with historical plaques around the stadium next year.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

This isn't directly stadium-related, but rather park-related, but I couldn't find a better thread:

"The National Park Service (NPS) Rivers, Trails and Conservation Assistance Program (RTCA) announced the selection of Spartanburg, SC to receive expert consultation from the NPS on Duncan Park Visioning Plan.

PAL submitted the grant request with the City of Spartanburg to engage stakeholders, the surrounding neighborhood and the broader community in re-imagining Duncan Park into a vibrant destination including multi-use trails, open spaces, and possibly water activities. Another goal is to create a vision for a community gathering space that will connect the recreation spaces with the historic stadium.

By undergoing the re-visioning process, the park stands to deliver enhanced health, economic, and outdoor recreational benefits to the local community. Community members will have the opportunity to provide input as to how new and existing trails should connect, as well as what new amenities will best serve the current residents. A friends-of-the-park support group will be developed to assist with implementation of the new Revisioning Plan, fund raising and park maintenance."

This sounds pretty exciting.  Duncan Park certainly has the potential to offer more amenities and attract more use.  Looking forward to this process and the resulting improvements.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an article with more details about the specific stadium improvements planned before the Spartanburgers' next season (actually, before SHS season starts in spring).  The finalized plan should be released in a few weeks, but the estimated cost is ~$1 million. 

Some highlights: Expanded grandstand seating by moving the existing fence back four rows on both sides (capacity increase from 850 to 1,200).  Full grandstand renovation (2,000 capacity and top concourse) to come in future upgrade (i.e. not this off-season).

The existing concession stand will be torn down and replaced with a new concessions facility that will allow the team to cook and prepare food on site and provide more variety.

The maintenance building behind the restrooms and down the third base line will be torn down to allow room for a full beer garden and more open space. The metal bleachers down the third base line will also be removed to create "a more open and comfortable fan experience".

A kids zone will be located down the first base line, and there will be an expanded sound system.

There are also plans to bring more entertainment (beyond just baseball) to the stadium this fall, such as movie nights, concerts, and festivals.

Edited by westsider28
  • Like 2

• 6 months later...

The Spartanburgers are suspending operations for 2022, but the CPL plans to return in 2023.  League statement:

"The league was recently updated regarding financial hardships the former ownership group suffered, brought on by the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic and the cost of targeted renovations at Duncan Park Stadium agreed to by the former ownership prior to the team’s move to Spartanburg that are needed to bring the facility up to league standards — including increased seating, expanded concessions and restrooms. The CPL will work closely with the City of Spartanburg and District 7 on a comprehensive plan that will bring baseball back to the market in 2023 with new owners and a renewed effort to entertain the Spartanburg community with a talented team and fun atmosphere."

This is pretty unfortunate.  I had a bad feeling when I saw no work being done at Duncan Park and total silence from team social media.

• Sad 2

Call me a pessimist but I don't see Duncan Park stadium as a viable venue for professional baseball or the CPL or any league for that matter.  Yes, it's historic but it's going to require significant upgrades in order to attract a team.  Those upgrades are going to cost a lot of money.     

On 3/5/2022 at 4:59 PM, Sparkleman said:

I have said this for years and will say one final time. Please tear this eyesore down. God only knows the amount of city money and D7 tax money that has been wasted on this venue.

Sometimes old stuff needs to be torn down and replaced.

Dude, it's on the National Register of Historic Places, and it's in the best condition it's been in decades.  There's a big difference between "it may not be worth it for a CPL ownership group to make additional upgrades to accommodate a team in that league" (which may or may not be true, we'll see) and "tear the place down".  LOL.  I know you have a vendetta against D7, but that's a ridiculous statement (and I hope it is the final time you say it).

• Like 2

I am not gonna argue with you but if this is the best condition it has been in in years, why aren't they playing there this year? Oh yeah, no where to cook (really) and crappy bathrooms (they have been like that since the Phillies were here).

I just don't understand putting more money into Duncan Park (for the however manyeth time) vs a state of the art stadium downtown that could attract a real team vs a bunch of college kids. The possibilities with a new stadium that actually generates money are endless vs an old one that loses it seems like a no brainer. There are solid financial  reasons Greenville, Columbia, etc abandoned their old stadiums and built new ones in order to get a team. If you are in Boiling Springs and are going to one game a year, are you going to "Historic Duncan Park" or to see the Drive in Greenville?

28 minutes ago, Sparkleman said:

I am not gonna argue with you but if this is the best condition it has been in in years, why aren't they playing there this year? Oh yeah, no where to cook (really) and crappy bathrooms (they have been like that since the Phillies were here).

I just don't understand putting more money into Duncan Park (for the however manyeth time) vs a state of the art stadium downtown that could attract a real team vs a bunch of college kids. The possibilities with a new stadium that actually generates money are endless vs an old one that loses it seems like a no brainer. There are solid financial  reasons Greenville, Columbia, etc abandoned their old stadiums and built new ones in order to get a team. If you are in Boiling Springs and are going to one game a year, are you going to "Historic Duncan Park" or to see the Drive in Greenville?

I agree with Sparkeman on much of what he has to say.  However, there is some "charm" in Duncan Park (not to mention history) that can be retained for high school and perhaps little league games.  Let's invest in a new downtown ballpark that will attract a higher level of competition.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, roads-scholar said:

I agree with Sparkeman on much of what he has to say.  However, there is some "charm" in Duncan Park (not to mention history) that can be retained for high school and perhaps little league games.  Let's invest in a new downtown ballpark that will attract a higher level of competition.  

I agree with this. I don’t support tearing down Duncan Park, but I do think we need a new state of the art downtown stadium in the Grain District.

The "tear it down" statement was the ridiculous one I vehemently disagree with.  As far as being in good shape, I meant the stands, field, and locker rooms / dugouts.  I agree that the fan experience side of things is lacking.

There seem to be decent rumors of a downtown stadium, and if that comes to fruition, I agree that it makes less sense to make a large investment in further Duncan Park improvements.  And I hope we do get a new stadium with a higher-level team.  I've always looked at the CPL and Duncan Park as temporary, from a "pro" baseball standpoint.  However, @roads-scholarmakes a good point about DP being useful for high school, etc (and don't forget American Legion).

I believe there will always be a place for Duncan Park, even if we get a gleaming new downtown stadium.  Just look at Durham, which continues to maintain the historic Durham Athletic Park even after the Bulls moved to their new ballpark.  And they even played some throwback/heritage games there, which I think would be a great thing to do at DP in the future.

Edited by westsider28
  • Like 2

I've heard from one more source the possibility of a new baseball stadium. Where in the Grain District though would be a good location for it? I'm not very familiar with professional baseball stadiums (or any other, for that matter), and how much land is needed to accommodate such an undertaking.  

1 hour ago, Santi said:

I've heard from one more source the possibility of a new baseball stadium. Where in the Grain District though would be a good location for it? I'm not very familiar with professional baseball stadiums (or any other, for that matter), and how much land is needed to accommodate such an undertaking.  

Plenty of room for a stadium and additional mixed-use development on the former Spartan Grain site (~12 acres), which is owned by Johnson Development.  There was actually a "pitch" (pun intended) for a team/stadium by the City about 6 years ago.  The webpage for it is still up.  Here's an image of Flour Field superimposed onto the site (though, the stadium should ideally face NE, both for sun reasons and to have downtown as a backdrop for fans):

968453215_dtbbconcept.thumb.jpg.313c9cb4450cd17fc701277e69936bcd.jpg

Edited by westsider28
  • Like 2

I see. Something like that would be a great use of space. I'm not into baseball, but I would actually go here and there if it was smack in the downtown area. And if that could bring with it eventually more restaurants and perhaps even a food court, well, I'm game - pun intended! :tw_glasses:

• Like 1

I just feel Spartanburg needs to move on from the past but not forget it. Duncan Park can be fine for SHS or little league or American Legion but its never gonna be a money maker.

If we want a higher level of baseball, we are just gonna need a modern stadium with all the bells and whistles. That's the main reason our minor league teams kept leaving or being stolen as there were greener pastures to be had.

• Like 2

On 3/7/2022 at 6:33 PM, westsider28 said:

Plenty of room for a stadium and additional mixed-use development on the former Spartan Grain site (~12 acres), which is owned by Johnson Development.  There was actually a "pitch" (pun intended) for a team/stadium by the City about 6 years ago.  The webpage for it is still up.  Here's an image of Flour Field superimposed onto the site (though, the stadium should ideally face NE, both for sun reasons and to have downtown as a backdrop for fans):

968453215_dtbbconcept.thumb.jpg.313c9cb4450cd17fc701277e69936bcd.jpg

Seems like facing NE would also set the skyline (such as it can be seen from down there) in the outfield. Plus it could create a barrier from the railroad tracks.

On 3/8/2022 at 11:28 AM, Sparkleman said:

I just feel Spartanburg needs to move on from the past but not forget it. Duncan Park can be fine for SHS or little league or American Legion but its never gonna be a money maker.

If we want a higher level of baseball, we are just gonna need a modern stadium with all the bells and whistles. That's the main reason our minor league teams kept leaving or being stolen as there were greener pastures to be had.

I'm not convinced Spartanburg can support a minor league team. Aren't there locational restrictions with other MiLB teams too?

I feel like soccer would be a solid investment. Less common, less rules on establishing teams.

• Like 1