GvilleSC

Rivers Edge

285 posts in this topic

I noticed the developer is Hughes...very nice. :) Should definitely get built then. Will be some pretty good height being on that hill also.

Edited by gman430

The exterior design is rather simple, however, it should blend well with nearby buildings and definitely will add density to that part of downtown. I noticed a "future building" outlined along River Street as well, so this block will eventually appear and feel much more urban. A new two-level parking deck will be accessible along McBee Avenue and will presumably serve Centre Stage as well.

1 person likes this

Very nice. That should have quite an impact coming into town on Academy. It's a massive improvement over the current parking lot.

I like the fact that this is an additional development near RiverPlace and Reedy Square.

Very nice. That should have quite an impact coming into town on Academy. It's a massive improvement over the current parking lot.

I agree 100%.

Bad name. Windows need to be bigger. But other than that I honestly think this will add quite a bit of needed density on that end. 

The window sizes remind me a lot of what we see with Riverwalk.

This looks great. Cant believe how fast DT is growing again. This should definitely be nice to see. I wonder what the plans are for the next phase on the map.

Where does one go to look at the drawings of this building?

Where does one go to look at the drawings of this building?

There's a link in the first post of this thread.

If the building looks like the RiverWalk architecture, this would be very disappointing.  The window sizes almost give this building (and the RiverWalk building) the sense of a high rise prison.  Surely present day architecture can't be this bad?!?

I think from the design that this building is an apartment building. You have to design the building to be built at a cost that makes send for the target rents. Not every building can be high end.

I think the location is incredible and it will be a great infill/background building. This will give us three full blocks of development along Broad Street and along the north side of the Reedy. It doesn't seem to have retail space, unless I'm looking at it incorrectly. I assume the plaza area is entry and common space and not for lease. Any insight?

Edited by GvilleSC

I think the location is incredible and it will be a great infill/background building. This will give us three full blocks of development along Broad Street and along the north side of the Reedy. It doesn't seem to have retail space, unless I'm looking at it incorrectly. I assume the plaza area is entry and common space and not for lease. Any insight?

On page 4 it mentions that the plaza will be the main entrance for the commercial portion of the building while the residential will be facing the "motor court." Hoping it's actual retail and not just a leasing office.

The exterior design is rather simple, however, it should blend well with nearby buildings and definitely will add density to that part of downtown. I noticed a "future building" outlined along River Street as well, so this block will eventually appear and feel much more urban. A new two-level parking deck will be accessible along McBee Avenue and will presumably serve Centre Stage as well.

I was incorrect. The parking deck will not be accessible along McBee Avenue.

The window sizes remind me a lot of what we see with Riverwalk.

My first thought as well.

I hope it doesn't turn out to be as disappointing aesthetically as Riverwalk did.

I was incorrect. The parking deck will not be accessible along McBee Avenue.

It looks to me like it is accessible from the McBee St. parking lot (for Piedmont Natural Gas).

The ground floor along Broad St. needs some work, but otherwise I am okay with it.  My guess is Btoy is right, these are mostly apartments, and probably like Riverwalk are below market rates to get the tax credits.

...and probably like Riverwalk are below market rates to get the tax credits.

If that is the case, then I'm going to be very impressed! The city has wanted affordable housing downtown for young professionals. It would be great to see this actually happen with a decent supply. Either way, the River continues to evolve as downtiwn's residential hub.

If the building looks like the RiverWalk architecture, this would be very disappointing.  The window sizes almost give this building (and the RiverWalk building) the sense of a high rise prison.  Surely present day architecture can't be this bad?!?

Soviet era apartment block comes to mind, but hopefully the design will improve before it actually gets built.  It's another 8 story bland building......come on Greenville, do better!

If the building looks like the RiverWalk architecture, this would be very disappointing. The window sizes almost give this building (and the RiverWalk building) the sense of a high rise prison. Surely present day architecture can't be this bad?!?

Personally, I hope Hughes builds it just like it is shows on the renderings to piss off the nimby's and gsupstate.

Edited by gman430
1 person likes this

Personally, I hope Hughes builds it just like it is shows on the renderings to piss off the nimby's and gsupstate.

Well that's mature of you

gsupstate shouldn't care, he doesn't live here. Should be on the Dallas forum.

Any knowledgable folks on here know a timetable for this?

Stakes with orange tape are now up around the site. Going off that, it looks like this could be starting construction within the next month or two.

null-9.jpg

Edited by gman430

Lots of brick with teeny tiny windows. Yuck.  On the bright side, it adds density and additional rental units downtown.