Rivers Edge

GvilleSC

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://upstatebusinessjournal.com/news/time-for-river-street-to-come-alive/

144 units with sizes ranging from 500-1,100 SF. The article mentions a hotel as well, which I assume is the 'other' building which fronts RIver St. proper. 8,000 SF of retail/restaurant as well.

This sounds great! I cannot wait to see some movement on this one.

I wish Hughes owned the vacant property at South Main as well. They could adequately develop that entire stretch along River Street between S. Main and Rhett.

They finally cleaned some of those building materials off the site. I guess they lost their appeal to the city about unfair treatment regarding maintaining the site. It will be a great day for the West End when that parcel finally sees life again.

With this development, we will have three continuous blocks of development with retail extending down West Broad Street from Main. It would be nice to see East Broad developed from Main to Falls Street to continue this recently formed spine.

They finally cleaned some of those building materials off the site. I guess they lost their appeal to the city about unfair treatment regarding maintaining the site. It will be a great day for the West End when that parcel finally sees life again.

With this development, we will have three continuous blocks of development with retail extending down West Broad Street from Main. It would be nice to see East Broad developed from Main to Falls Street to continue this recently formed spine.

Agreed, and to extend on that I wonder how long it will take the other side of Falls/Broad (I believe there was once a proposed development there) which would make it 5 blocks. Then someday I would imagine the old post office would get developed (still cant believe this hasnt already been looked at) and that whole stretch of Broad will have A LOT of activity...

I'm actually glad to see this: 

The five membersicon1.png of the Design Review Board’s urban design panel said Thursday they wanted additional details on the building’s architectural plan and design. They postponed a decision on developer Phil Hughes’ plans for the building, which will include apartments and commercial space, until a special meeting Sept. 17.

Barry Nocks, the panel’s chairman and professor emeritus of urban planning at Clemson University, said members want more details on the mixed-use building’s scale and its view onto Broad Street.

Panel members expressed concerns about the exterior facade and some said the building wouldn’t be an appropriate gateway into downtown.

“The character of this building does not say ‘Greenville’ to me,” panel membericon1.png Meg Terry said following a public hearing, in which two area residents expressed concerns about the building’s design.

Project architects said they will make proposed changes by Sept. 17.

Archived