Rivers Edge

GvilleSC

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still Soviet era apartment bloc looking. Putin would be proud. LOL!

I guess you could give some credit to the city staff for pushing back on the original design, considering they have approved neither the original nor the revised designs, but that wouldn't fit your 'hick' narrative, I guess.

I guess you could give some credit to the city staff for pushing back on the original design, considering they have approved neither the original nor the revised designs, but that wouldn't fit your 'hick' narrative, I guess.

I don't have a narrative vickie, I call it like it is. Read back through my 8,000 plus post and you will see that. I'm glad to hear that neither design has been approved! Good call by the city staff! Sincere congrats! Now, let's get a design that works.

I don't have a narrative vickie, I call it like it is. Read back through my 8,000 plus post and you will see that. I'm glad to hear that neither design has been approved! Good call by the city staff! Sincere congrats! Now, let's get a design that works.

Are you in Dallas or Greenville? Seriously. Not trying to call you out.

I don't have a problem with negative, as long as it is CONSTRUCTIVE, in other words with the intention to suggest improvement.  Calling us all hicks is not doing that. You stopped posting anything positive OR constructive a long time ago.

• 2 weeks later...

From the special meeting held on September 17th: 

CA 13-186 Bryan Wood presented the staff report indicating that the applicant is requesting a Certificate of Appropriateness for approval to construct an 8-story residential building on the property located at the northeast corner of River and Broad Street; this is the first building plans for Rivers Edge.

At the meeting on September 5, 2013 the Board made numerous comments and suggestions about the design of the building.  At that time is was decided to table the application and to hold a special meeting on September 17, 2013 so that the applicant could be changes to the design.  The applicant has provided revisions to the design which addressed some of the concerns from the board. 

Scott Johnson, JSD Architecture, LLC presented the revisions of the design and site plans. He went over the revision of the valet parking design, the court yard design and the revised elevations of the academy Street and River Street sides of the building.  Mr. Johnson answered questions from the Board.  

Jay Austin stated that he works in the area and is supportive of more apartments being built in the downtown area.  Ryan Mackey also stated that he is supportive of the application.  No one else spoke about the applications

Board Member Parks McLeod stated that the revisions have addressed the Broad Street pedestrian experience and that the end caps are improved and more inviting.

Board Member Meg Terry expressed concern about the windows, stating that with everything else so articulated and detailed that the windows make the building feel unfinished.  The surrounding buildings have more detailing in the residential windows and that is one thing that makes them special in their design.   Also, the Broad Street elevation is more successful than the River Street elevation.

Board Member Jennifer Gosnell said the revisions have brought the rest of the building to life but the River Street side feels like a completely different building. 

In rebuttal Scott Johnson stated that the color choices and other design elements were selected to give a slight modern edge feeling to the building.

Board Member Meg Terry made a motion to approve the building mass as submitted with further consideration of the materials and articulation of the 3 end caps with regard to design guideline AP.13A, so the façades read as one building.  The revision may be approved at staff level with input of board members.  Board Member Jennifer Gosnell seconded the motion.  The motion was passed by a vote of 5-0.

I didn't get a good look but there's two pieces of large yellow machinery-- backhoe maybe and something else? Is there other work going on that it could be for?

There is no city related work going on to my knowledge in and around that site except for maybe the slated bike/walking path underneath the River Street bridge. That would be on the other side of the river though. 

Archived