Rivers Edge

GvilleSC

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:shades: I like it: http://www.greenvillesc.gov/PlanningZoning/PlanningApplications/Applications/2013/DECEMBER/DesignReviewBoard/12-05-2013/CA-13-260-501RiverStreet.pdf Hughes has increased the number of rooms (120-140) for the hotel planned due to demand. Right around 125 feet tall. Should look great on the hill.  

:shades: I like it: http://www.greenvillesc.gov/PlanningZoning/PlanningApplications/Applications/2013/DECEMBER/DesignReviewBoard/12-05-2013/CA-13-260-501RiverStreet.pdf Hughes has increased the number of rooms (120-140) for the hotel planned due to demand. Right around 125 feet tall. Should look great on the hill.  

So are both the Rivers Edge Developement and hotel gonna be built together? That would be something for that side of downtown. If so, that would show that Mr. Hughes is very bullish on Greenville. Good to see it happen.

• 3 weeks later...

I prefer the original plan - right up along side River Street...more urban feel to River Street that way and room for something else to be put next-door on Broad:

Meh...they took a good thing and ruined it, in my humble opinion...all for the sake of another plaza and some additional rooms:

If they want some outdoor space, why not just set the building back from River and Broad a bit and put outdoor space along River Street while still preserving the original elevation and orientation on the property?

• 2 weeks later...

I have now heard that the proposed hotel here will not happen.

That would be disappointing. I wonder if the other recently announced hotels downtown had something to do with this if it's true? It's not supposed to break ground until February or March so who knows.

Why would the developer go to the trouble of drawing and submitting fairly detailed plans of the proposal and then cancel them a month or two later? Did someone from another city try to convince Hotel Indigo that Downtown Greenville is not a good fit? Surely the developer of River's Edge had known about the Embassy Suites and Aloft prior to submitting those drawings to the DRB. Perhaps the plan is not completely scrapped, but rather merely postponed.

Very good points Skyliner. It does seem really odd and unlikely the developers (Hughes and Accente Group) who have a lot of prior experience in this field by the way (we're not talking Bob Ellis or Mark Kent here) would go to all of the trouble and spend that much money on feasibility studies, drawings, engineering, etc. just to cancel the project. My guess and it's only a guess is that this is nothing more than a false rumor like when I had heard the apartment project for this site had been cancelled when we can see now that it obviously wasn't true. 

EDIT: It is showing an asphalt parking lot for where the hotel was supposed to go on the site plan for the parking garage: http://www.greenvillesc.gov/PlanningZoning/PlanningApplications/Applications/2014/JANUARY/DesignReviewBoard/01-02-2014/CA-14-07-WestBoardandRiverStreets.pdf Hopefully that is just talking about the current parking lot on site. If not then maybe it will be only temporary. On the second page of the pdf file it does say "hotel project will front on River Street..." which gives me hope. 

Very good points Skyliner. It does seem really odd and unlikely the developers (Hughes and Accente Group) who have a lot of prior experience in this field by the way (we're not talking Bob Ellis or Mark Kent here) would go to all of the trouble and spend that much money on feasibility studies, drawings, engineering, etc. just to cancel the project. My guess and it's only a guess is that this is nothing more than a false rumor like when I had heard the apartment project for this site had been cancelled when we can see now that it obviously wasn't true. 

On the second page of the pdf file it does say "hotel project will front on River Street..." which gives me hope. 

That looks like it is just the plan for the apartment building and not the hotel.

In the drawing on page 9, in the area where the hotel would be built, there is a notation to the effect that "Final motor court design will be permitted after DRB approval."

Archived