Rivers Edge

GvilleSC

It's really interesting to view this building. It has a really great impact on River, Academy, and Broad Streets for obvious reasons. It peaks over the trees nicely when looking up the Reedy. However, due to its low site, it is really hidden from most other vantage points.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I recently returned from a trip to Italy, and it strikes me that all the recent and proposed construction of 6-8 story buildings--especially residential buildings and hotels--is reminiscent of Italian cities, where you don't have much height, if at all, but you have a lot of density.

Obviously downtown Greenville isn't likely to achieve the kind of density that you find even in smaller Italian cities (like Florence), and I personally don't want it to get that dense. But a bevy of shorter, yet significant, buildings, particularly residential buildings, does make for an attractive, livable place and will eventually lead to the skyscraper or two that many in this forum would like to see.

It's a far cry from the old days of cruising Main, prostitutes on Laurens St., crumbling buildings, etc.

Just the musings of an ex-pat Greenville-born-and-reared. Happy 4th!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was thinking the same thing. I don't think it would happen anyway being that the path through Linky Stone Park and across the bridge negates all that. And that may not even be a feasible option being that a few trees and the bank of the river are close to a guard rail really close to the street. And the city would have to unnecessarily have to cut those trees down and everyone here knows how the city feels about cutting trees down.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Much nicer than I expected based on the renderings!

All of the comparisons to Riverwalk were the cause of much anxiety, but this is worthy of our River front and much better than the renderings appeared. I hope to see the second phase built sooner rather than later in order to finish off the tiny bit of remaining real estate between Main and Academy along Broad.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived