Rivers Edge

GvilleSC

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

I haven't seen it in person yet even though I just live a few blocks away. How does it look? Similar to Riverwalk's lighting?

It's definitely unique. LED lights count the time vertically (like a thermometer rising), and a clock face is made by LED lights at the top. I'm not sure what happens when it reaches the top of the hour. You can see these elements in Gman's pictures-- the lights are on the light metal grid-looking element that starts on the 6th floor and rises up toward the spire.

I still think the proliferation of LED building lighting will be one of those things we look back on in 15 years and say, "That was sooooo 2015."

LED, as a technology, is fantastic. But how we're using it now is ridiculous. Too much. Too bright. Too many colors. No subtlety. Just because you CAN do something, it doesn't mean you SHOULD.

I still think the proliferation of LED building lighting will be one of those things we look back on in 15 years and say, "That was sooooo 2015."

LED, as a technology, is fantastic. But how we're using it now is ridiculous. Too much. Too bright. Too many colors. No subtlety. Just because you CAN do something, it doesn't mean you SHOULD.

The good thing...lights can be easily changed.

• 1 month later...

I have a question. What's going on with the sidewalks? I went down that way yesterday and noticed that they had laid grass all the way up to the curb. I thought they were supposed to be replaced. Along with intersection improvements.

I assume they are waiting on the City to finalize their plans and had to temporarily provide what they currently have in place-- grass. Otherwise, It would not meet the standards for developments. I guess they decided on the raised intersection?

When is somebody going to push back on the DRB - Design Rejection Board.   It’s a good looking building and a great addition to downtown. They seem to reject everything!  I heard they turned down the Greenville News building too.   

If you want to build within the areas that are under the DRB, then it is part of the process. You can't push back. Its there for a reason. Its to make sure that developments live up to a standard. If you want everything in the city to look like the county, then you can push to remove the whole board. 

In short, its better than no DRB. 

Weird. I think the building looks fantastic. Somebody at the DRB is grumpy.

The article does not mention the building as a whole, but only a few elements that failed to meet the approved standard. In fact, the only questionable element directly connected to the building itself (mentioned in the article) is the LED board facing River Street. The other disappointing elements seem to be exclusively related to the plaza fronting the intersection of W. Broad and River. I agree with the DRB in this particular case. Unfortunately, the building itself is only slightly attractive on one side and completely bland otherwise, so the design standard was set quite low from the beginning.

Archived