Construction Project - Exit 199 / Hwy. 17 A Summerville

erm1981

This might have been posted already but I believe this project is heavily under construction at the moment. 4500 acre site plan.  I see a 4-5 story building rising from I-26. The master plan seems to also be calling for a new exit 197 to be implemented.

Tell me if the following link is accurate:

Nexton Project. ------- MeadWestVaco.

location_path_of_growth_caption.pdf

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That whole area in the Summerville, Moncks Corner, Goose Creek triangle is being prepped for growth. Have they widened hwy 52 out to Cane Bay yet? They should be finished widening 17a out to Moncks Corner. I know there are plans for a hospital and they finished those two new schools in Cane Bay. They also have a school planned for the Nexton Project. Also the Daniel Island company is building a development near there as well.  That area and the area near Palmetto Commerce Park (especially after they build that overpass over Ashley Phosphate Rd connecting it to the airport) are two areas to watch.

Section 2 on this map is Palmetto Commerce Park:

http://www.charlestonindustrial.com/Home.aspx

• 3 months later...

It's also obvious from the pdf graphic that Summerville is dead center for future growth in the Charleston area. Efforts like increasing lot size will just make matters worse. Some mass trasit will help in a few instances, but more roads will have to be built.

• 2 weeks later...

Nexton is more than just a "construction project."  It's a new city being developed by MWV in Berkeley County.  There will be a new Exit on I-26 (Exit 197) added as part of this development, and it will have its own downtown comprised of office, residential, and retail.  It's been under development for well over a year already.

That whole area in the Summerville, Moncks Corner, Goose Creek triangle is being prepped for growth. Have they widened hwy 52 out to Cane Bay yet? They should be finished widening 17a out to Moncks Corner. I know there are plans for a hospital and they finished those two new schools in Cane Bay. They also have a school planned for the Nexton Project. Also the Daniel Island company is building a development near there as well.  That area and the area near Palmetto Commerce Park (especially after they build that overpass over Ashley Phosphate Rd connecting it to the airport) are two areas to watch.

Section 2 on this map is Palmetto Commerce Park:

http://www.charlestonindustrial.com/Home.aspx

Highway 176 hasn't been widened (or re-paved) yet, that I've seen.  Of course, I've not been out that way in a while.  There are actually three schools in Cane Bay (the Middle School finally opened this year).  We considered building out there, but decided not to do so because it was so far out away from everything (and still is).

There are actually three huge developments all more-or-less side-by-side on MWV property in Berkeley County:

1. Nexton, SC - being developed by MWV
  2. Carnes Crossroads - being developed by the Daniel Island Company
  3. Cane Bay Plantation

MWV also has plans for another huge development in Dorchester County over the next 15-20 years:

1. East Edisto - being developed by MWV

I almost forgot...the Ponds along 17A in Dorchester County - plans call for it to have it's own schools and "downtown" type area.  There's already a YMCA Rec Center and Fire Station.  The project recently changed hands, so who knows how it will continue to develop, but it's been pretty impressive so far.:

1. The Ponds

Archived