Google Earth

mirydi

Does anyone else find it annoying that the images used for Nashville are at best several years old? None of the new construction show's up on the images. No MCC, no Omni, no Terrazo, etc. I especially find it annoying that just about every other city with recently finished projects immediately show right up and don't have this issue. Nashville get's no love lol!

Anyway's, I have been contacting Google Earth about this for quite some time and never get a response. Anybody else out there ever try contacting them?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Google's last flyover was done in August of 2011.  I'm not sure of the frequency of their flyover schedle; but if it is similar to the State's, it will be every 2-3 years.  I work in GIS, and am quite familiar with the processes that go into making these aerial mosaics.  Once they are flown, there is a good bit of processing that occurs to correct color balances, problems with digital terrain models, etc.  Give them time, I'm sure they're working on it!

I have noticed an influx of Google StreetView cars as of late. Up until, IIRC, this spring the street view image of the Pinnacle still feature it under construction. That has since changed. However, in the burbs (where I have seen a car in the last 3 months) the data is still REALLY old. I mean, my driveway still features my old Maxima which I haven't had since 2007.

Google's last flyover was done in August of 2011.  I'm not sure of the frequency of their flyover schedle; but if it is similar to the State's, it will be every 2-3 years.  I work in GIS, and am quite familiar with the processes that go into making these aerial mosaics.  Once they are flown, there is a good bit of processing that occurs to correct color balances, problems with digital terrain models, etc.  Give them time, I'm sure they're working on it!

Thanks for the info. It's nice to hear some insight from someone who has knowledge as to how that stuff really works. Hopefully they will get it done sooner rather then later, as it would be cool to see some of the new projects on there.

I have noticed an influx of Google StreetView cars as of late.

I saw one on I-24 not too long ago myself. Hopefully this is an indication of the images being updated soon. Maybe they are tired of me contacting them lol.

I've also noticed an increase in the street view cars lately. I live in the Bay Area and its probably mapped a little more frequently than other areas, but I still have noticed an increase as of late.

Side note, I've also seen googles autonomous cars driving around (I work very close to their Mountain View HQ). Saw one on the surface streets and another on the freeway. It was very exciting and kinda weird at the same time. The cars are clearly marked. It says in large letters "Autonomous Vehicle". When other drivers notice it, they tend to GTF out of the way! I will happily report that when I saw it on the surface street, I was on my bicycle "taking the lane" and the car passed me in a very safe manner. However, I can't confirm who or what was in control at the time.

Speak of the devil.

http://m.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2013/08/nissan-promises-self-driving-cars-by.html

Apparently Nissan promises to have a commercial autonomous vehicle by 2020.

I did kind of laugh at this part;

"...and is currently building a dedicated autonomous driving proving ground, to be completed by the end of fiscal year 2014."

That's funny. Google also has an autonomous driving proving ground. They call it "the Bay Area".

Archived