Ovation Cool Springs

NashRugger

• 1 year later...

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Based on how desolate those are sure to be starting at 5:01 PM each day, I imagine that reality is more likely than you might think. The basic concept of such a development is entirely contrary to everything that makes an urban environment so appealing.

And, anyway, office parks are gross so early 90s.

I don't know, I think it has potential. Of course, that potential relies on the inclusion of residential and retail that's open after 6:00PM, but there is potential. I just hope it isn't surrounded by fields of asphalt and that the parking is at least confined to garages.

I dunno... I have a feeling that first image above depicts the most excitement this development is ever going to see. Four human beings! Two on the sidewalk hopelessly lost amidst the sea of glass and asphalt, and two coworkers on a random outdoor patio area beotching in tandem about how lifeless and boring the whole area is!

So what makes these glass boxes worse than the glass boxes we are building downtown? Or is everyone just upset that development like this is going in the burbs so they have to find something to complain about? 

Granted these are renderings, which always look better, but I think the development looks good. I could see it being an active area if they properly can add in retail and residential. The LifePoint building in Brentwood along with the mixed retail and residential has done well. So I don't see why something on this scale couldn't perform also. 

So what makes these glass boxes worse than the glass boxes we are building downtown? Or is everyone just upset that development like this is going in the burbs so they have to find something to complain about? 

Granted these are renderings, which always look better, but I think the development looks good. I could see it being an active area if they properly can add in retail and residential. The LifePoint building in Brentwood along with the mixed retail and residential has done well. So I don't see why something on this scale couldn't perform also. 

The fact that each structure is basically the same design...at the same height...and many of them are left with a lot of land around them.  In some cases, for parking...and in some cases, they are a "green" area, which is fine.  It still has that "suburban office park" feel (which of course, is what it is).  They probably could have done a better job of designing the area with a bit more of an urban feel...but too late now.

True true. Does anyone know roughly how much square footage of office space is in that area of Cool Springs? Just makes me wonder what downtown would look like if those were instead skycrappers in the city. Nissan for example probably could of filled a 30-40 story tower right?

With 2 hotels, 1000 residneces, a dinner movie theater, and tons of retail and restaurants it shouldn't be a ghost town after 6pm. But they could have done a better job with the surface parking

Here is a little bit more detailed info from NBJ:

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/real-estate/2014/11/ovation-creators-bring-in-reinforcements.html?page=all

This looks great.....until you see all of the surface parking hidden below

ovationmainentraceview*600xx4952-3301-74

Screen-shot-2014-07-15-at-11.07.21-AM.pn

As of this last year there was 7,637,543 sq ft in the Brentwood/Coolsprings submarket. 97 builings

WOW.... depressing

So if the goal of Ovation is to "create an urban environment", wouldn't they need a grocery store? Maybe they just haven't mentioned one, but it would seem like that would be a huge part of having a small community that could somewhat sustain itself. If I worked in those offices I would probably consider living there, but not being able to walk to the grocery store would be a big miss I would think. 

WOW.... depressing

So if the goal of Ovation is to "create an urban environment", wouldn't they need a grocery store? Maybe they just haven't mentioned one, but it would seem like that would be a huge part of having a small community that could somewhat sustain itself. If I worked in those offices I would probably consider living there, but not being able to walk to the grocery store would be a big miss I would think. 

Whole Foods and Publix both less than a couple mins away....would be hard to see them put another grocery store here as well

Whole Foods and Publix both less than a couple mins away....would be hard to see them put another grocery store here as well

Not entirely, Trader Joes has been wanting another location, and this would make sense for this development. Sprouts or Earthfare may also be possibilities, but may be too large (not enough parking given the more specific design plans) for this area.

• 2 months later...

Has anyone heard about plans to continue the Northside at McEwen? The website currently says that it is on hold due to lack of available financing.

http://www.mcewen-tn.com/northside

Yes, They just announce that they have a contract and Northside is building a 45-acre Northside site is entitled for more than 870,000 square feet of commercial space, 580 attached residential units and 150 hotel rooms. 

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2015/03/24/acre-cool-springs-site-contract-crescent-communities/70412444/

It suddenly strikes me as ironic that Cool Springs, the capital of suburban sprawl, is putting in so many of these little "town center" developments. It's like they want the benefits of a "big city" urban environment, but can only make tiny, scattered, half-assed strides toward such a thing.

The real kicker is that, if all of these developers decided to work together and build something unified instead of creating their own little utopias, then we could actually see something really impressive come together.

EDIT: This is probably a bit off-topic. Feel free to move me to the main Cool Springs thread.

Archived