Do they even bother to read the nonsense they write?

monsoon

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

UP forumners should have a byline at The Observer. Would they have any local content at all if UP didn't exist?

Where is that poster who said he's never seen The Observer use content from this site?

I'm right here, and I still think you're imagining things. Everyone in this city has had the experience of saying something at the water cooler, or hearing something from a friend, that later appears in the paper. But it seems to me that doesn't mean the paper heard it the same way you did.

Wait a minute. Metro said the same thing yet I'm the one imagining things? Anyway, if you check the archives here I think UP forumners had long since established some Observer staff were at least lurking here. I am not the only person who has seen the "coincidences".

Sure, absolutely, I think Metro is imagining things, too. Although, since he's all-powerful in this particular universe, I would never say so...

:whistling:

I've seen the "evidence" that Observer writers are lurking. I don't find it particularly compelling. The fact that something appears here before it appears in the Observer doesn't prove causality. In most cases, it seems at least plausible that the writer here and the writer in the Observer both got their information from a third party, such as the developer or a regulatory filing.

And when it comes to commentary on the war, I mean, c'mon -- if there are Observer writers among the readers of these groups, I'm pretty sure they're not here for the war coverage.

Sure, absolutely, I think Metro is imagining things, too. Although, since he's all-powerful in this particular universe, I would never say so...

Hmm, I didn't publish any conclusions. I said "you be the judge". I admit that I am not as well versed in composition as the average observer writer, but it did seem pretty clear to me. :blush:

I've seen the "evidence" that Observer writers are lurking.

The Observer once posted (almost verbatim) something I posted here. The funniest part is I was wrong about what I posted. You could check The Observer's archives against archives here. I'm not talking about development announcements. It is often smaller things, like what was happening in Atlanta regarding the NASCAR HOF. Just an example. It seems innocuous, but isn't really.

I'm sorry, but Observer does read a bit like a junior high school newspaper. Don't get me wrong, there are some smart and wonderful writers there. Kathleen Purvis immediately comes to mind....

I think there are some memes that run through here and the mainstream media at the same time. Some of the threads about trash on the roads, or unlighted highways were shortly afterward articles in the Observer.

But since we have a couple hundred threads on here... the odds of something cropping up in a local paper, about SOME topic that was already of interest people on a local forum... is reasonably likely.

But since we have a couple hundred threads on here... the odds of something cropping up in a local paper, about SOME topic that was already of interest people on a local forum... is reasonably likely.

I would say the odds are even higher for those threads with posts from peeps from the local paper. I would think that anyone should assume we, as it is on any forum, know the IP they are posting from.

I'm sorry, but Observer does read a bit like a junior high school newspaper. Don't get me wrong, there are some smart and wonderful writers there. Kathleen Purvis immediately comes to mind....

Indeed. It's not the paper that it used to be. I would chalk that up to the decision to compete against our tabloid based televised news programs.

They really don't proofread their stuff at WCNC.com, do they?

http://www.wcnc.com/news/topstories/storie...s.2c2f165f.html

this should obviously say "an urban planner"

WCNC.com is the worst when it comes to mispelling words. Just 2 days ago they caused a minor uproar when they wrote "Panthers punter resigned"......

OK, the first thing going through my head before I read the article was, "Darn, that is not good news......."

It took them 2 days to finally fix the error which now reads, "Panthers punter re-signed".

From the Airheads on the News dept.

If anyone has watched the news in the last day you might have noticed all of the news outlets are reporting the time oddity that occured last night at 01:02:03 am, if you add todays date 04/05/06, then you get 01,02,03,04,05,06. Of course anyone who would do a little thinking on this will realize this will occur again in 100 years at 2106, then 2206, etc.

The airheads that read the news on WBTV Channel 3 in the morning of course don't think as they just parrot out what is on the teleprompter. That became evident this morning when they reported the event will not occur again for 1,000 years. :lol: (including the teaser, something that won't happen for another 1000 years, haha) One would have hoped they would have at least had the elementary school math to figure out their mistake. However, neither Molly Grantham or John Carter, true to form, figured it out. Maybe they can be forgiven for being dramatic, but their AMS weatherman, Chris Suchan, who ought know a little math given his "scientific" education, but no, he missed it too. Maybe the was thinking about his upcoming wedding which made up much of the pre-news banter that takes place before they start reading the news so we will all think they are "just plain folks" like the rest of us.

Channel 3 used to bill itself as the "upscale" network of Charlotte. :blink: Maybe they should start watching Channel 36 in Charlotte as at least their network got it right. see this

It disgusts me that WBTV, Channel 3 is on the air this morning simply saying "Hispanic communities are being asked to not buy gas, go to the store or restaurants, etc". Since when does advocating for people to join a boycott in support of what the law considers to be illegal, come close to being anything resembling the news? Forgetting the absurdity of calling for such an action, what ever happened to the news being impartitial? Well I suspect the real reason propably lies in the numbers of illegals they must employ.

^ don't even get me started on illegal criminals. Bottom line is.....they are in the country, paying no taxes. YET, they are getting free schools and free health care (just to name a few of the services). I am all for immigration, it's what has made our country so great. But ANYONE who comes in here illegally should be rounded up and deported. It's as simple as that.

• 1 month later...

I notice that Channel 36, WCNC, (which bills itself as Channel 6) is running an advert for Sprint. The odd thing about it is the ad proclaims that Sprint has the best coverage in the Raleigh Durham area. I might be wrong, but I don't think this strategy is going to sell many phones in either locale. :lol:

I notice that Channel 36, WCNC, (which bills itself as Channel 6) is running an advert for Sprint. The odd thing about it is the ad proclaims that Sprint has the best coverage in the Raleigh Durham area. I might be wrong, but I don't think this strategy is going to sell many phones in either locale. :lol:

I just saw that add on FOX too. It was weird, like they are forgetting that they are advertising in CLT or something. I don't get it.

A2

Archived