Element Music Row | 19 stories, 431 Units | Musica Roundabout

smeagolsfree

We can only hope. Interesting there was an article either in the Tennessean or the NBJ quoting the manager at the dan Mc Guinness pub that the guys at the 1505 site closed the lot. Well it was the folks at JE Dunn for the 1515 project. He probably does not realize he is going to have another 5 or 6 hundred customers not to mention the ones that will be at 1505. He also probably does not even know there is an 18 story building even going there.

Surprising how uninformed Nashville citizens are and how disconnected they are with the areas the live and work in.

There was a segment on channel 5 news the other day interviewing the owner of Dan McGuiness and he was saying he has seen a dropoff in business since the closing of the lots across the street. I recall a similar story on the news a while back talking to a small boutique owner in the row of shops/bars who basically said losing the lot would make her shut down I'm not sure if that happened or not though. 

I think these residential projects will be good for their business in the long run but there are some short and medium term trade-offs that have to be made. The concerns of these business owners are legitimate I'd say. 

• Like 1

There was a segment on channel 5 news the other day interviewing the owner of Dan McGuiness and he was saying he has seen a dropoff in business since the closing of the lots across the street. I recall a similar story on the news a while back talking to a small boutique owner in the row of shops/bars who basically said losing the lot would make her shut down I'm not sure if that happened or not though. 

I think these residential projects will be good for their business in the long run but there are some short and medium term trade-offs that have to be made. The concerns of these business owners are legitimate I'd say. 

Thus the need again for a Metro Parking Authority to tackle the issue. We have discussed this at the meets before and the more I see the issues the more the need for Metro to step in and help with a solution. Mass transit could be part of the solution and we all know how that subject is playing out.

At some point, the market could take care of itself when the price point of building a garage and the parking rates make it worth their while.

Developments like 1515 Demonbreun have to have have so many parking spaces per unit. I think it may be something like 1.5 spaces per unit but I am not sure. They could require more than that but the residents would have to have a separate entrance in most cases I would think.

• Like 1

Those residents should have to sign waivers or something saying that they will agree to just deal with live music and the attendant crowd street noise since they bought next door knowing full well that those businesses were there.

It is usually included in the master deed along with a statement that the view might change with neighboring development.  That won't stop complaints, nor should it.  Neighbors need to be respectful of each other.  Bars and restaurants generally are unaware of how much noise they produce, and most, but not all, make some effort to limit it after being called on it. 

my guess is that demonbreun becomes more of a neighborhood bar type of place. I think this is slowly happening already, and as parking continues to disappear it will only accelerate. I think this is a good thing fwiw. Demonbreun could become a really cool neighborhood.

Are the Premiere lots around there still priced way high? I know that new one where Icon tattoo used to be started at 10 and now has dialed back to 3 which is reasonable.

Are the Premiere lots around there still priced way high? I know that new one where Icon tattoo used to be started at 10 and now has dialed back to 3 which is reasonable.

I write for a company that has an office above Off Broadway Shoes.  At first, you could part in the lot (beside Off Broadway that also caters to many of the Demonbreun businesses) for free as long as you didn't park in the OBS spots.  Then...whoever owned the lot made a deal with Premiere or some other parking company, and the price was $6 I believe.  They gave us a tag we have to change every month...but our visitors would have to pay every time they'd drop by.  After many complaints, I think they've gone back to allowing free parking until 7pm.

I know that new one where Icon tattoo used to be started at 10 and now has dialed back to 3 which is reasonable.

Given the usage of that lot, I bet the evening prices are going up soon.  Especially when the old Mario's lot is fenced off for Buckingham construction in the next several weeks.

I just always park for free on Music square

I know of many places to park for free. I only have to walk a few minutes to most any place I want to go. It seems as walking is a big inconvenience for some people. If I do pay for parking, it's normally in the library when we have a forum meet.

Music square is a great place to park, however at night you do have to be aware of your surroundings.

• Like 1

I'm sorry if I sound in any way pompous here, but the truth is, if Nashvillians (generally speaking) ever want their city to become the truly vibrant, urban, walkable, multi-functional city that it very much has the potential to be, then they are going to have to get over this obsession with always parking DIRECTLY NEXT to their destination absolutely all of the time. 

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 3

I'm sorry if I sound in any way pompous here, but the truth is, if Nashvillians (generally speaking) ever want their city to become the truly vibrant, urban, walkable, multi-functional city that it very much has the potential to be, then they are going to have to get over this obsession with always parking DIRECTLY NEXT to their destination absolutely all of the time. 

This made my day.

• Like 1

Give us some damn, decent, and useable mass transit!

• Like 1

I don't think that is pompous at all. It is a southern mindset that has to be changed. Folks have been doing that their entire lives and a lifetime of habits is very hard to change.

I don't think that is pompous at all. It is a southern mindset that has to be changed. Folks have been doing that their entire lives and a lifetime of habits is very hard to change.

It's a mindset that needs to change, for sure, and it will.    I wouldn't necessarily call it a southern mindset.   I think it's just part of any city growing to the scale where traffic and parking issues force people to adjust their expectations and city leaders to look at alternatives.    The change can be kind of abrupt when the growth happens all at once.   

This is slightly off-thread, but on the subject of mindsets, have you guys noticed how many people are using the red B-cycles since they were installed?   I see people riding these all over the place, and not just tourists.     I think it's great.          

I just bought a bicycle for the express purpose of not having to deal with parking a car in places like Midtown, the Gulch or Downtown, which is always a frustrating nightmare.    

• Like 2

This is where I take extreme exception. Why should folks have to adjust their mindsets and accept being MORE inconvenienced ? This is plain wrong, and THAT mindset and agenda needs to be brought to a screeching halt.

the idea of parking directly in front of the door of the store you are going into drives me crazy, and people will drive up and down the aisles of a parking lot looking for a close spot for 15 minutes instead of just parking and walking.

but think about this, with enclosed shopping malls, I will use cool springs since I live there, you park near a door, walk around the entire inside of the mall to various stores then return to your car in the same spot, but the same person shopping at an open air strip mall, lets use providence in Mount Juliet since I used to live there, will park in front of target, shop then move their car to the front of Dick's sporting goods to shop there. a distance shorter than walking inside of an enclosed mall. 

but because the doors are on the outside and the parking is no front people dont think twice