Grand Action - Convention Ctr Expansion/Stadium/Hotel

trongrr

2 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

I don't think the neighbors around Houseman would ever go for that. Not if the capacity is greatly expanded. 

I live near houseman and would absolutely love it! Granted I may be the exception. If it would positively impact housing values, I could see the neighbors going for it.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Pattmost20 said:

I live near houseman and would absolutely love it! Granted I may be the exception. If it would positively impact housing values, I could see the neighbors going for it.

You are the exception.  I have had a few friends live within a block of Houseman.  They complain about noise, the bright lights, the traffic and parking.

Houseman, if it were to expand, has no real parking. They have used the grass in the past. Some neighbors started opening driveways for event parking for $5 a car.

Expanded capacity would only turn the neighbors against them.  I think they already have a time cap on how late the games can go.

I too think a major renovation of Houseman would be a tough sell. It's a historic facility that many Grand Rapidians have a special connection to and it's one of the more unique high school sports fields in the region.

Plus, there was a $6 million renovation back in 2009 so I'm sure that impacts what GRPS is willing to do to it.

Houseman is still the home field for a number of track teams, right? So you can't get rid of the track facilities without replacing them elsewhere.

7 hours ago, scottythe1nonly said:

anybody who moves to that neighborhood and later complains about noise at houseman is crazy.  it's been there longer than any living person in that neighbor hood.   

For some strange reason I think you're missing the point. 

On 3/10/2017 at 8:49 PM, Quercus said:

I too think a major renovation of Houseman would be a tough sell. It's a historic facility that many Grand Rapidians have a special connection to and it's one of the more unique high school sports fields in the region.

Plus, there was a $6 million renovation back in 2009 so I'm sure that impacts what GRPS is willing to do to it.

Houseman is still the home field for a number of track teams, right? So you can't get rid of the track facilities without replacing them elsewhere.

GRPS does lose a lot of money on Houseman every year. So the combination of them no longer having to put any money into running it and an influx of cash from the sale of it would probably be a win for them in the long run. Track meets could easily be held elsewhere, Union has a bunch of land that could be converted into track facilities.

8 hours ago, RegalTDP said:

When they build a stadium, they're going to want a site that leaves room for future development.  I.E. not Houseman.

There is room for development at Houseman, it is a large site. Plus the renovations would be massively cheaper than building a new stadium. Houseman is very much in the mix, I don't think it is the number one site, but I think when they start pricing out a brand new stadium they may look at it more seriously. GRPS needs the money more than they need an 8,000 seat football stadium. They draw 500 max to most games, and track events could easily be held at a larger site slightly out of town.

• 2 weeks later...

Developing the property at Union High would make a lot more sense for future Track meets.  You can see below that the space available at Union is much larger relative to Houseman.  It would need significant upgrades.  Union today is a practice field only, both for football and track.  But upgrading it for regular track meets would provide more space city/regional track than they would ever have at Houseman.  More parking, more space for other events (shot, disc, etc) and more space for parking.

Removing the track at Houseman and repositioning the North stands and field would also free up a LOT of space on the north side of the Houseman property.  East and West stands, boxes, etc could easily be added.  

Houseman is a financial black hole for GRPS.  And despite the renovations a decade ago it needs more work now!  Houseman's field surface is due to be replaced.  It was installed in 2009 and the typical lifespan of those artificial surfaces is less than 10 years.  That alone will cost $500k.  GRPS is perpetually underfunded and there's no plan today to even address that.  Typically the school system puts off this type of stuff until it's so critical it's endangering the continued use of the facility.  Redeveloping Houseman with a new Public/Private arrangement might allow the School System to continue to use the stadium for Football games, AND take away the upkeep and annual costs of owning/operating it.  If there were 20+ major soccer matches there every year, and a real concession, some elite level luxury suites, etc. there would be real revenue potential that could fund the operation of the stadium without weighing on the budget of the public schools. 

A 10-20k seat stadium built NEW specifically for pro Soccer would cost around $50million. And that's for something similar to Columbus Crew, which is mostly all bleacher seating and relatively no frills.  

Wq-F6HIWnMEt_9DGjgMcl-NO_g_EaLT8o-yg49NI

1 hour ago, TheSutterKing said:

I like the idea of upgrading Houseman field into a soccer stadium, with that grass area available, maybe a parking garage could be built there to accommodate for parking rather than parking on the streets.

That grass area is where many of the "field" events of track and field are held.  Taking over the grass would not work if they continue to use Houseman for Track events.

Best to leave it green.  Putting a ramp there would be ugly and bad for the neighborhood since it would sit unused on all but a couple of dozen evenings of the year.  Moving the north bleachers and pitch 30 yards to the south to take up the track space would open up a lot more of that green space.  Maybe enough for a practice field or two.  That field is used today for event parking.  But there's no need to pave it or cover it.

A better solution would be to run extra busses into the neighborhood on Game days.  Several RAPID routes travel Michigan and Fulton (north and south of the stadium) today.  Another option would be running DASH buses on game nights so people from outside the city could park in one of the commuter lots and catch a bus over to the stadium.  I think that over time we'll also see homeowners offering parking (a few already do).  Not unlike what happens in Ann Arbor during Mich games. 

I don't think we need a massive parking lot/garage at Houseman.

• 4 weeks later...

Exactly where we said a hotel should go. It definitely would help that stretch of Monroe.

It seems odd to me that the city/county would own the hotel instead of some sort of long term lease of the space with the option to buy. 

As far as riverfront location, it just wouldn't work on this location unless they possibly but it on the northwest corner? But I like that it'd be close to the core. 

Joe

10 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

Exactly where we said a hotel should go. It definitely would help that stretch of Monroe.

It seems odd to me that the city/county would own the hotel instead of some sort of long term lease of the space with the option to buy. 

As far as riverfront location, it just wouldn't work on this location unless they possibly but it on the northwest corner? But I like that it'd be close to the core. 

Joe

It was your idea Joe, you can take credit. :alc:

How they have this drawn and the scale in relation to the Windquest Building, I'd say it'll be about as tall as the JW, if it gets built.

Although the way they have it designed it looks like a 12-story building just with really tall floors.  See the number of sections between the horizontal lines in the tower.  12 ;o

This looks fantastic, though.  And it appears to have a much needed engagement of the street-level in that area, also.  Build it!

1 hour ago, tSlater said:

Although the way they have it designed it looks like a 12-story building just with really tall floors.  See the number of sections between the horizontal lines in the tower.  12 ;o

This looks fantastic, though.  And it appears to have a much needed engagement of the street-level in that area, also.  Build it!

The Calder re-work will also have retail right across the street. 

Archived