Grand Action - Convention Ctr Expansion/Stadium/Hotel

trongrr

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, WMrapids said:

How will this work with the proposed bridge? I can't remember where it was supposed to be located or if it even made the final cut.

The bridge did make the cut, the last version I saw. I believe it would go right over to the hotel:

30936378845_bf6272b4a3_b.jpg&key=79fed12

Driving through DT yesterday evening, and seeing this mass of people on the corner of Michigan and Monroe for an event at DeVos, Prom kids going to dinner, and people hanging out at Atwater, this hotel is just going to supercharge that area.

Just need to fix the Calder plaza side, and you can call that intersection good. 

This would take care of one of the upgrades to DeVos Place, but I also thought they wanted additional space? 

I wonder if they could expand onto the 5/3 property across Monroe? Thanks would have to be multiple levels, which may be bad in the convention world, but seems like it'd be much easier to accomplish than encroaching on Calder Plaza, having to move the city/county, etc. etc. 

i wonder, if properly reconfigured, they could use the civic auditorium space for more "contiguous" convention  floor space (or simultaneous conventions space) and move that large ballroom plus some of the breakout spaces across Monroe?

Joe

10 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

i wonder, if properly reconfigured, they could use the civic auditorium space for more "contiguous" convention  floor space (or simultaneous conventions space) and move that large ballroom plus some of the breakout spaces across Monroe?

Joe

IMO, this would be the best use of the existing space. Conventions like the contiguous space for shows, and breakout rooms and ballrooms are a big attraction/money maker for them too. And if they are right across the street from each other, that is close enough to not be inconvenient and a deal breaker. 

• 2 weeks later...

There was a GRFC fan podcast out this week that includes statements form the GRFC president regarding a future downtown stadium.  Nothing all that new here, but good to hear that it's being "worked on" and that investors are coming around.

Stadium and team expansion/league move discussion starts around 24:00 minutes in.

4 hours ago, thebeerqueer said:

Also, I remember seeing a post recently about the collab beer between Vivant and the fan club. I believe the beer was/is called Grand Army.

Grand Army IPA. It will be the 3rd year of the collaboration. I toured the brewery this morning and they were making 40 barrels of it. Vivant is releasing it on the 18th of this month, and will be donating a dollar of every beer pour that day to The Grand Army.

On 5/5/2017 at 10:28 AM, thebeerqueer said:

Did you try it? I should swing into the Knickerbocker to give it a taste. 

Yeah, i tried way too much of it!

It's a very light ale.  goes well with hot summer weather.  Personally, I would rather have a "Grand Army" from Brewery Vivant.  That won't  be available until the 18th, though

17 hours ago, scottythe1nonly said:

Yeah, i tried way too much of it!

It's a very light ale.  goes well with hot summer weather.  Personally, I would rather have a "Grand Army" from Brewery Vivant.  That won't  be available until the 18th, though

Thanks for the recon work. It's on my radar. 

FYI ... Brewery Vivant's Devistation is dangerous. Be warned. 

• 4 months later...

Did anyone else see the news that Grand Action is likely sunsetting on December 31st. I'm not really surprised and honestly it seems like a pretty organic move after 25 years of positioning the city. It sure would be cool if they did some kind of big project or announcement or SOMETHING to mark their retirement. 

3 minutes ago, GVSUChris said:

Did anyone else see the news that Grand Action is likely sunsetting on December 31st. I'm not really surprised and honestly it seems like a pretty organic move after 25 years of positioning the city. It sure would be cool if they did some kind of big project or announcement or SOMETHING to mark their retirement. 

Does this mean they have reached their end-goal for downtown? I hope not...I'd like to think we're capable of achieving everything they set out for in their latest plan - plus more in the future.

34 minutes ago, GRLaker said:

Does this mean they have reached their end-goal for downtown? I hope not...I'd like to think we're capable of achieving everything they set out for in their latest plan - plus more in the future.

Article:

http://www.grbj.com/articles/88888-grand-action-leaders-shut-it-down

39 minutes ago, GRLaker said:

I think what it means is DeVos, Frey, and Canepa, are retiring AS A GROUP  in terms of leading the charge on big initiatives in the city.    Both DeVos and Frey in their comments to the GRBJ, relay a confidence that someone or some group will step forward on taking the "mantle."   I would image that Dick DeVos, David Frey, Peter Secchia, and others will still be very involved in public/private initiatives in the city for a while.  

Some good questions to ask, however,  is the next generation of these families stepping up to the plate when the current generation dies off?  Are there companies in the area that are growing to be the next Steelcase, Meijer, or Amway, and will they help facilitate growth, and philanthropy?   I don't know how big  Founders, for example, will become, but I would say this "new" company is stepping up to the plate in support of the community in many ways. 

Archived